MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Default The Stripper

The Stripper

Attachment 35406

Okay I both wanted to get your attention AND not get my pic yanked - after all this is Q talk. Please appreciate my efforts to make this tasteful. I think you know I have tons of other stripper pics I could have used.

The One Duty of a father is to keep his little girl off the pole!

Chris Rock

Got an incredible deal on Choice Strip Loin Beef Loin at $3.00 a pound so I got a few 12-14 pounders and made up some strip roasts for Rotary. Sadly many in the rotary like well done meat. But for those of us who liked it rare this was QUITE the treat.

First step was to impart a unique flavor to it - that meant par-smoking it. par smoking is of course what you want to do to a cut when you don't want it to be too smokey or to have that underground earthiness layer of flavor nobody can place a finger on. Later you will notice there is little ring, especially on the top and bottom. The reason for this is of course its hard to shoot a ring through fat in an hour and a half - the bottom was due to me panning. I used a pan because I had cleaned my pit to rebuild the rotessirie this winter and didn't want a bunch of grease to clean again. I wish I had smoked it without the pan as it had so little loss anyway. But I would strongly suggest to simply go ahead and smoke the thing an hour or two with NO pan to get the ring set. There was a delicious smoked flavor however.

Now the strip loin or beef loin is NOT tenderloin and can usually be bought at about $5 a pound at Sams for choice. If you take a look at a t bone its the larger cut one makes into a kansas city or New York Strips, the tenderloin being the smaller cut that people make fillets, tournedos of beef, chateu briand and so forth.

So anyway you simply get one of these, unwrap it and season it. Now I did NOT want a BBQ taste so I use common stuff anyone might have. I used some adolfs meat tenderizer, garlic and onion powder, tony chaceres, and some greek sesonings (kind of like you do my greek trombolo gyro meat). I then slow smoke it to set in a little ring but not enough to cook it. I get the IT about to 90 or so - takes an hour or two depending on how cold the meat is.

Attachment 35397
Par Smoked Beef Loin Ready for Steaks or Roast

I then cool it down. Now from here one can use it for Strip steaks as it is partly smoked but needs to be grilled or pan seared. In this case it slather a bit of mustard to accept more spices like some lawreys, rosemary, pepper, lemon pepper and such.

Attachment 35398
Mustard Slather

Attachment 35399
Second Post Smoke Layer of Seasonings and Balsamic Vinegar

Attachment 35400
Roast Two for medium and Well done Customers

You can wrap it and use it whenever or immediately cook. In this case I didn't want to take it into the BBQ world as I was going to use the drippings to make brown gravy and there was going to be some of those hybrid mashed potatoes as well.

The oven treatment was standard fare for meat of this type )and no I don't prefer the low till 120 IT then sear it last technic thats all the rage.

Attachment 35401

I simply got the oven to 500, popped it in and reduced to 325 and cooked to 125 and pulled, tented and held until I was ready to slice, which I did and suggest you do to order.

Attachment 35402
Rare Roast, or as Popdaddy calls it - Old enough to Bleed

Attachment 35403

Attachment 35404
Another Half

Attachment 35405
Slice Medium Roast

So.... how was it? Well let's just say the Rotarians had no trouble slicing it with a butter knife as that's all we have.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Donnie,
Opened it looking for a stripper, but all I saw was the dude's meat!

It doesn't seem right to say, but you got some good looking meat there.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thank you for the funky post! Great looking Loin Beef!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Phubar

Looks very pink and juicy on the inside!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Dang, I like your Rotary much better than my Rotary. Looks great.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
N8man
Babbling Farker

I'd hit it hard!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
bruno
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubar View Post
looks very pink and juicy on the inside!
lmao!!:-p

"That tastes like ****!"
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

OLD ENOUF 2 BLEED lol

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Mlukewow
Knows what a fatty is.

Now thats my kind of strip------er Love it those pics made my mouth water
Mlukewow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
tkuehn5410
Full Fledged Farker

That looks very tasty!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good

but no pics of Med Well??? (I'll duck now)

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
Looks good

but no pics of Med Well??? (I'll duck now)
I had one damn half of a roast I pulled at 145. It was the most popular because the dumb ass on the line LIKED well done and kept saying "Undone or done" - people naturally chose the "done" and cleaned me out. Basically we would just pull the meat off the bottom from then on. This was the same guy when I served the 9 hour fenell and sausage meatballs in sugo the other day he goes "There's LEAVES in this sauce!" He also tends to pull the smoked irregulars out of my butterbeans and black eyed peas before he serves. I love the rascal though. LOL In church the other day (he is 80) he offered up a prayer for his girlfriend when the pastor called top lift up prayers. "My girlfriend is celebrating another birthday with her family and she drove. Please pray for her saftey. She is turning over another decade." He is no longer seeing her when she found out that. LOL

I see this working real well in an event where I serve this MED RARE to Rare and if someone wants WELL DONE they can move to the brisket Table.

The med well was very flavorful but in my opinion was getting "gritty" but it may have been the electric knife.

I am talking a restaurant in my town that does BBQ into taking their Strip loins and popping them in their Smoker for 1 or two hours to set a ring in the roasts and get some smoke flavor as they grill their steaks. They can wrap them or freeze them each day for backup. Then when the customer orders a steak they pull out the roast (which is not cooked just smoked a bit) slice off a cut (which is crusted with seasonings on the outer edges) and grill to order. The result from the smoker is a sort of quick aging. I think its beefier due to the slight moisture loss. The outer edge flavor is to die for.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Bigmista

Damn! That looks good! I'll take a look to see if RD has those.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Damn! That looks good! I'll take a look to see if RD has those.
You have to ask at sams. Unless its a holiday they keep them in back to cut strips. They have the prime rib out of course.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
MilitantSquatter

Good post Donnie...

looks good.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote