MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
JG89
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Advice Required on catering gig

Hey,

We have been booked as one of the caters at a festival next month and I just wanted to run my intended method pass you guys.

First off a full on site cook is not an option, but coincidently my lang is housed in a unit only a 5 minute drive from the festival site.

I shall be serving pulled pork. My plan is to cook the butts to around 150, wrap in foil and remove from smoker. Once the butts are removed I will transit the lang from my unit to the festival site and fire her back up. Once back up to temp...butts back in until reach 200 or pulls. (Transporting the Lang and getting her fired back up to temp will take no more than 1hr)

This is the biggest event I have ever done and I shall be cooking 10 butts in total. The full length of service will be between 3-4 hours, What what will be the best method for holding the butts as I will only need 2 per hour of service. If I get the lang chuffing at 200 and remove the butts as I need them will that work? If the smoker is going at 200 (no hotter) will it be ok to hold a cooked butt at that temp for 3 hours or so?

I am new to this and am trying my hardest so please go easy on me If I am way off.

Thanks!

Last edited by JG89; 04-13-2015 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Mistake
JG89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Congrats on nailing the gig!
This is what disturbs me :
Quote:
(This whole process will take no more than 1hr)
So moving the Lang, re-firing the thing, bringing the butts up past the stall to 195-205 will only take an hour? Not a chance.
I'd cook 'em full through, let 'em rest for 20 minutes, wrap, towel, cooler, transport, fire up (for show only) and then finish.
I'd consider cubing one or two at 160, and making Pork Burnt Ends.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Is cooking offsite and selling to the public legal in your locale?

It is not in mine unless its in a certified kitchen
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
JG89
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
Congrats on nailing the gig!
This is what disturbs me : .
So moving the Lang, re-firing the thing, bringing the butts up past the stall to 195-205 will only take an hour? Not a chance.
I'd cook 'em full through, let 'em rest for 20 minutes, wrap, towel, cooler, transport, fire up (for show only) and then finish.
I'd consider cubing one or two at 160, and making Pork Burnt Ends.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry man it's been a long day I meant the process as in moving her and getting her fired up back to temp taking an hour...not the whole process including cooking. My mistake sorry :)

Cook through, rest, wrap, towel, cooler, transport, fire up and finish. That sounds good man, could you elaborate the process for me if you have the time? Would be appreciated.

Regarding legal aspects we are certified by our local authorities to cook off site so that's not the issue, its the method I need advice on. Have you got any suggestions?
JG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Generally, since you are not going to be cooking on-site, and that does not appear to be a premium to what you are doing, my advice would be to remove as many variables as possible from the equation. If you want to be able to break down whole butts as a part of the show, that is going to make it a little longer process on the day of the vend.

Incidentally, I assume this is a vend and not a catering gig. If it was me, I would precook, crash cool the butts and store them cold overnight. My preference for these types of things is to break the butts into 4 to 5 pieces per butt, place into heat resistant bags and chill in ice bath to cool as quickly as possible. Then bring to event in ice chests. Fire the cooker and reheat the pork in covered aluminum pans, adding a little moisture to aid in reheating.

Whole butts can be done in a similar manner, crash cool the butt by placing it whole, into a plastic turkey roasting bag, seal and immerse in an ice bath. Once below 45°F, then wrap in foil, and keep cold. Once on site, the butts are fully cooked, all you need to do it vent the foil, add some moisture and heat them up to serving temperature. This can be done at 350°F and would take a short time.

You could stage your reheats, so that you only heat 3 at a time, keeping one ready all the time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG89 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Sorry man it's been a long day I meant the process as in moving her and getting her fired up back to temp taking an hour...not the whole process including cooking. My mistake sorry :)

Cook through, rest, wrap, towel, cooler, transport, fire up and finish. That sounds good man, could you elaborate the process for me if you have the time? Would be appreciated.

Regarding legal aspects we are certified by our local authorities to cook off site so that's not the issue, its the method I need advice on. Have you got any suggestions?
sure I have a suggestion.

Follow Landarc's advice. Thats what I did for a similar cook I did for a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. He advised me privately and it worked out great
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Chrome Dome
On the road to being a farker

I have done a few events close to home. As a nonprofit, we are exempt from the 'cook-on-site' regs. I will cook until done, and then pull all the ash and smoldering wood from the firebox (cooker temps still 175+) with a shovel and dump into water to extinguish. I throw wet rags into the firebox to dampen any remaining ash. I close all vents and then drive to the site. The butts don't slide around since they've cooked on the rack. Essentially, the butts are cooling on the rack as I drive, and are cool enough to pull once I get there (again, this is close and temps are still at safe handling). We pull when we get to the site, add a little apple juice, cover with foil and put back on the smoker. Re-light the fire, and bring back to 150 (usually higher, because I'm cooking boneless chicken thighs, mac & cheese, or something). I have a Lang 84", and it'll hold heat for a while without any fire in the box.

Lang 84" Deluxe with Chargrill; Custom Lang 36" Deluxe; BGE

[url]www.fireduptohelp.org[/url]
Chrome Dome is offline   Reply With Quote