• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Splits and wood chunks

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
For those that have a stick burner and a charcoal cooker, do you have separate piles of splits and chunks or do you cut your chunks from the splits?

I save some of the bark that fell off when I split the wood and use it. Sometimes if I am out of bark I have sawzalled a couple chunks off a split and issued them.

I was thinking of buying a miter saw to cut chunks, but mostly because I think I would use it more for secondary purposes like cutting angle iron. Also Franklin's intro on his vid had him doing it too :heh:

I'm currently working my way through my original stash of wood chunks that I had a wood guy cut for me. They were pricey and drying fast in the summer heat.

I heat my house with wood, so whenever I come across an oddball sized/shaped piece of wood that doesn't fit well in my firewood stack, I set it aside for smoking wood. Usually these end up being classified as large chunks. Back when I was using my COS a lot, I burned those large chunks instead of sticks. It tended to have issues with runaway temps, so the large chunks worked better than sticks for keeping the fire under control. Now that I mostly use a WSM, I split them down into smaller chunks. I keep a pile of the larger chunks off to the side of my firewood stack, and a stash of smaller chunks in a cardboard box in the garage.

I was thinking of buying a miter saw to cut chunks, but mostly because I think I would use it more for secondary purposes like cutting angle iron. Also Franklin's intro on his vid had him doing it too :heh:

I'm currently working my way through my original stash of wood chunks that I had a wood guy cut for me. They were pricey and drying fast in the summer heat.

You could try pawn shops, Craigs list, or garage sales for a power miter saw. You just might stumble on to a really good deal.

I'm still using the truck bed full of pecan i bought 3 years ago. Only cost $40 but in sure that guy has figured out that he can get a lot more money now. He said it was mostly limbs that he couldn't sell... I'll be cutting my own soon from my splits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm still using the truck bed full of pecan i bought 3 years ago. Only cost $40 but in sure that guy has figured out that he can get a lot more money now. He said it was mostly limbs that he couldn't sell... I'll be cutting my own soon from my splits.

Three years ago? And the limbs are not dried out? The splits I left behind on my Bandera trailer shows anywhere from 2-5% moisture compared to 25-35% on the oak I just got two weeks ago. The one on the trailer was from last year and sat in the farking Texas heat all of this year.

Three years ago? And the limbs are not dried out? The splits I left behind on my Bandera trailer shows anywhere from 2-5% moisture compared to 25-35% on the oak I just got two weeks ago. The one on the trailer was from last year and sat in the farking Texas heat all of this year.
I Keep them in trash bags. Are you measuring inside after you split?

I cut chunks from splits. They are cheaper than the bagged stuff.

Just the ends where it's mostly flat.
I thought you were supposed to split a stick and measure the inside? I would think the outside would give a false reading.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Just split a couple chunks, 4-7%. They are bigger than i need but don't split them until i need them.

Split some regular splits, .0% outside, 12-14% inside.

So is 35% considered green? That's what I have been throwing in to the BBC.

So is 35% considered green? That's what I have been throwing in to the BBC.
Green but with proper draft it will burn properly. I've used green wood in my shirley with no issues.

I have splits of pecan and oak that I buy by the rick and use in my stick burner. I split them up it into chunks myself for my WSM.

I buy chunks of cherry, apple, and Hickory that I use in both smokers.

A miter saw will do the trick for fist sizes chunks. To a lesser degree so will a chainsaw saw or reciprocating saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There's a mixture in my bucket. Just depends on the cook I'm doing.

I use oak and hickory in the offset and use oak from a Four Roses bourbon barrel with charcoal in the UDS.

Back