Rib questions

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Ok so i go to this awesome rib joint i was talking bout earlier in my rotisserie thread. I showed the pic and what not. So today i asked him how he cooks his ribs. He said this "I roast them first then i put them in a steam table(hard to hear what he siad) to make them tender" I then asked him if he ment boiling them and he said oh no. i stem them not boil them... What is this steam method?

thanx

Ok so i go to this awesome rib joint i was talking bout earlier in my rotisserie thread. I showed the pic and what not. So today i asked him how he cooks his ribs. He said this "I roast them first then i put them in a steam table(hard to hear what he siad) to make them tender" I then asked him if he ment boiling them and he said oh no. i stem them not boil them... What is this steam method?

thanx

He cooks them in a high heat oven and then holds them in a steam pan sitting in hot water to make em tender. Probably sauces and finishes on a grill.
Standard practice for 75% of the BBQ joints in the country.

Thats just NOT the way we do it here. :wink:

He cooks them in a high heat oven and then holds them in a steam pan sitting in hot water to make em tender. Probably sauces and finishes on a grill.
Standard practice for 75% of the BBQ joints in the country.

Thats just NOT the way we do it here. :wink:

Close. He uses a rotisserie at first and then puts them in a steam chamber. He does not grill them. BUT they are soooooo dang good. They dont taste slimy at all or weird. They taste excellent.

Im just trying to find out what this steam chamber is all about. What are they called and what do they look like? are the ribs in water or just the pan they sit in is in the water and steam comes up around them?

A steam table is a large table with a heated bath underneath pans. Think buffet table here. It is called a steam table as the steam is trapped between the pans on top and the hot water below. If like most other places, the ribs are held dry in the pans over the steam bed to keep them warm. It is about 200F in a pan at full blow, you essentially slowly cook them low and slow over hot metal throughout the night.

Many years ago I worked in a restaurant that had what may have been
called a "steam cooker"...it could have easily held a couple of racks
of ribs.
We used it to cook vegetables; such as carrots.
We could cut the carrots and load it up; set the timer for the desired
time....and in about 6 minutes...we had fully cooked carrots.

When the lid was closed and locked; it would circulate high pressure
steam through it, to cook the food.

Perhaps this rib place is using one of these...or something similar.

interesting. Kinda an interesting way to cook em. They are way good though. I think he uses the steam table as a way to hold all the cooked ribs since he serves like 400-500 people at lunch and dinner.

Back