MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
drewc
On the road to being a farker

Default Help!!!! Quick!!!

I have a problem!!! I have four pork shoulders on my smoker. Charbroil smoke n pit. I cannot get the temp to come up past 150 degrees. I have shut all the dampers and opened them up slightly again to see if I could get any change. Nothing. I put them in thinking it would come up soon, I have smoker box full of charcoal. Kingsford Original and RO Lump charcoal. I am trying RO Lump for the first time, I see where everyone is talking about it burning hotter. Since it is 33 degrees outside I figured I would need some to add in there. I just cannot get it to come up to at least 225 degrees. I really do not want to do these in the oven.

Thank you
drewc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
drewc

It is also been over an hour and half now. Just cannot get it up to 225

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

How did you load the charcoal and how much coal? If minion type of load, how many lit coals did you start with? how certain are you that the thermometer is reading correctly? Did you load the meat before getting it to temp?

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

Try placing a fan towards the inlet of the firebox. You will burn up the charcoal faster, but it should get the temp where you need it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewc View Post
I have a problem!!! I have four pork shoulders on my smoker. Charbroil smoke n pit. I cannot get the temp to come up past 150 degrees. I have shut all the dampers and opened them up slightly again to see if I could get any change. Nothing. I put them in thinking it would come up soon, I have smoker box full of charcoal. Kingsford Original and RO Lump charcoal. I am trying RO Lump for the first time, I see where everyone is talking about it burning hotter. Since it is 33 degrees outside I figured I would need some to add in there. I just cannot get it to come up to at least 225 degrees. I really do not want to do these in the oven.

Thank you

Open those dampers wide open and get some air to the fire. Like Pit Boss said try puttin a fan to the coals (hair dryers work). I'd pull the butts off till I got the fire under control just to be sure I didn't get a nasty taste off a smoldering fire.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
drewc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
How did you load the charcoal and how much coal? If minion type of load, how many lit coals did you start with? how certain are you that the thermometer is reading correctly? Did you load the meat before getting it to temp?

I confess this is my SERIOUS second year of smoking. I started out with two charcoal chimneys of charcoal. They were gray and ashed over. I wondered about the thermometer, but you can tell the inside of the smoker is not very hot. I have another themometer I will put in there when done typing this. Yes, I went ahead and put it in there and put some wood chips in it. I was thinking backup plan if I have to finish them in the oven at least I would have some smoke flavor????

Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
drewc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
Open those dampers wide open and get some air to the fire. Like Pit Boss said try puttin a fan to the coals (hair dryers work). I'd pull the butts off till I got the fire under control just to be sure I didn't get a nasty taste off a smoldering fire.

How long can I leave them sitting out before I have to worry about it. I cant put them back in the fridge????

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is it windy out? If so, you might build a wind break around your intake or point it into the wind to make sure you've got a good air source. But I'd do like CajunSmoker recommended and yank the meat off and hit the coals with a hair dryer until you get clean heat.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I would 1st put a probe into the cooking chamber, the lid is gonna be off. if you have a roaring fire and your temps are still low, throw a blanket on the cooking chamber to try and insulate it..my brother tried cooking in 17 degrees this weekend on his WSM, after a couple of hours of his butts being in smoke, he wrapped an into the oven they went..
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Cajunsmoker about the meat. Get the butts off till the fire is rightt or you will probably get an off taste from the acrid smoke.

I would get as much air to it as possible and probably use another chimney and pour it own while still on fire before it totally ashed over. Get enough air to it and the temps will rise. I brought the thermometer up because I found a bad one this weekend. Pitt was burning 40 degrees hotter than the reading.

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
drewc

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! The fan and opening all the vents worked. I feel stupid, but I was stressing on my pig and I knew you guys would have the answer. I have been arguing with this thing for about two hours now.

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU. I KNEW YOU WOULD HAVE THE ANSWER!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
drewc

We are heading in the right direction now. You guys are AWESOME!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

No need to feel stupid, brother - we've all been there.
The stupid guy is the one who doesn't ask and has to cook in the oven. ;)

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
drewc

LOL!!!!! I like that!!!! I will have to write that one down so I do not forget it.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Update? how's things holding out? how's the shoulder's looking?