Pineapple upside down cake in the D.O. (pics)

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I made this dessert the other night as part of a larger cook. This thread- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232710

But seeing as we have a dessert throwdown going on I decided to make a post about just the cake. Here it is.

Made the cake in the dutch oven with some boxed yellow cake mix, canned pineapple rings and some cherries and brown sugar. I greased the D.O. with coconut oil to add a little bit more tropical flavor.

Cherries and pineapple
pine1.jpg

Added the brown sugar
pine2.jpg

Cake mix in and ready to cook
pine3.jpg

I was out of my Lazzari mesquite lump by this pint and had to use some RO I had in reserve. Not my first choice but it gets the job done. Sorry about all the other crap in the photo. Doing some work outside these days.

pine4.jpg

Done cooking! It took about 25min.
pine5.jpg

pine6.jpg

Garnished with some fresh pineapple and more cherries.
pine7.jpg

pine8.jpg

pine9.jpg

Served and ready to eat!
pine10.jpg

It didn't last too long. I must make another!

Thanks for looking.

Looks TASTEE but It stuck to the pot,use a little parchment paper to line the DO next time.Still looks yummy though!

I do this fairly frequently. Only sticks may one out of ten times. I don't like using the parchment. Don't like the way the edges come out. I like my odds the way they are. But to each his own.

Man that looks great Josh!! I have a feeling it's too late but... dibs on leftovers! :grin:
I don't use parchment, liners or foil in my DOs either. Everything seems to come out fine without. Maybe I'm just lucky. :grin:

Back