Bulk Salt

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Anyone have a source for salt in bulk? Talking 5 lb containers up to 5 gallon buckets. Needs to be fine grind Kosher or Sea Salt. Table salt won't do.

Anyone have a source for salt in bulk? Talking 5 lb containers up to 5 gallon buckets. Needs to be fine grind Kosher or Sea Salt. Table salt won't do.

What are you getting into? Winter road maintenace?

Have you checked out canning salt? The grind may be what you are after. For buckets of salt, these guys have 20# and 40# buckets of "purified salt" whatever that means. They don't mention the size of the grind. The 40's are $20. Maybe a phone call will solve this.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=salt&Page=2

Not really. These aren't bulk and are more upscale salts or at least have an upscale price. Looking for something more economical than $2 a lb. I can get that in my local store. (Morton's Fine Sea Salt - $1.99)

Thanks for the effort, though.

Have you checked out canning salt? The grind may be what you are after. For buckets of salt, these guys have 20# and 40# buckets of "purified salt" whatever that means. They don't mention the size of the grind. The 40's are $20. Maybe a phone call will solve this.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=salt&Page=2

Wayne, do you think there is any difference between non-iodized table salt and fine grind kosher? I've been using fine grind sea salt in my rub. Don't think a change in salt is a problem as long as it is non-iodized and the grind it right. No course.

Wayne, do you think there is any difference between non-iodized table salt and fine grind kosher? I've been using fine grind sea salt in my rub. Don't think a change in salt is a problem as long as it is non-iodized and the grind it right. No course.

I just did a little experiment between iodized, fine grind sea and canning. (I don't have non-iodized table salt, but would guess it is similar to canning salt). The iodized stood out with a twang. The sea and the canning salts were close in taste. On a totally blind test I may not have been able to tell any difference. I'll bet most folks can't tell the difference in the flavor, especially in a rub. Chances are the non-iodized table salt still has the anti-caking agents in it. Which may be good. The canning salt does not.

Now to take into account that the size of the grain affects the saltiness (smaller grain salts being more salty), here are two photos under a 8X scope. First is canning. It looks just like iodized with the typical box shape. Second is fine grind sea salt.

dsc02037aL.jpg

dsc02038aL.jpg

So, here's some questions: Would this lead you to believe that since the sea salt has several different sizes, the saltiness may not be as uniform as the more consistent in shape canning salt? Also would the canning salt stay suspended more evenly in a rub? That is what you are really after right?

I just did a little experiment between iodized, fine grind sea and canning. (I don't have non-iodized table salt, but would guess it is similar to canning salt). The iodized stood out with a twang. The sea and the canning salts were close in taste. On a totally blind test I may not have been able to tell any difference. I'll bet most folks can't tell the difference in the flavor, especially in a rub. Chances are the non-iodized table salt still has the anti-caking agents in it. Which may be good. The canning salt does not.

Now to take into account that the size of the grain affects the saltiness (smaller grain salts being more salty), here are two photos under a 8X scope. First is canning. It looks just like iodized with the typical box shape. Second is fine grind sea salt.

So, here's some questions: Would this lead you to believe that since the sea salt has several different sizes, the saltiness may not be as uniform as the more consistent in shape canning salt? Also would the canning salt stay suspended more evenly in a rub? That is what you are really after right?

Ask a simple question... get an amazing answer. Excellent stuff to consider, Wayne. If I understand this right, I'm better off not using Sea Salt: better suspension, better consistency, and possibly better anit-caking. The rub has been saltier since I switch to sea salt. Some have commented on that. I think some batches have been slightly saltier than others. That could be inconsistencies in the salt source based on the type & grind.

Thant would be major for sure:!:

You'd be surprised how quickly 5 lbs of spices goes. I'm about ready to move up to five gallon buckets for the spices I use the most: garlic, onion, paprika, etc. My concern has always been using them before they get stale.

Have you tried any Baker's Supplies or Mills? They may have it or point you in the right direction.

Brian

Ask a simple question... get an amazing answer. Excellent stuff to consider, Wayne. If I understand this right, I'm better off not using Sea Salt: better suspension, better consistency, and possibly better anti-caking. The rub has been saltier since I switch to sea salt. Some have commented on that. I think some batches have been slightly saltier than others. That could be inconsistencies in the salt source based on the type & grind.

I don't know if you are or not. I'm just throwing a couple of ideas out on the table. If everything in your rub was the exact same grind, would suspension or settling be an issue? Common sense would tell me that some things of the same physical size weigh more than other things the same size which would lead me to believe that the heavies would settle. But when does that become an issue? So I don't know how or if the even sized salt crystals would perform.

Maybe the sea salt settled to the top of the shaker? How do you measure ingredients, by weight or with measuring cups? By weight is more accurate. Or maybe the answer is just cutting back on the amount until it tastes right?

I don't know if you are or not. I'm just throwing a couple of ideas out on the table. If everything in your rub was the exact same grind, would suspension or settling be an issue? Common sense would tell me that some things of the same physical size weigh more than other things the same size which would lead me to believe that the heavies would settle. But when does that become an issue? So I don't know how or if the even sized salt crystals would perform.

Maybe the sea salt settled to the top of the shaker? How do you measure ingredients, by weight or with measuring cups? By weight is more accurate. Or maybe the answer is just cutting back on the amount until it tastes right?

Okay... gotcha.

I do get some settling, but you see it more in the large batch and not so much in the shaker. Its more like very small "streams" of white or black, which is the black pepper. Its hardly enough to worry about and it doesn't seem to settle too bad in the shakers. I seldom notice and I'm looking for stuff like that.

I don't feel a need for a change in flavor, balance, etc. I think the best thing to do is try some different salts and see if a canning or table salt will work without changing things too drastically that it is noticable. Thanks for the questions to consider and the info. The second highest cost per oz in my rub is salt, because I've been buying Morton's off the shelf and not in bulk like everything else.

Also, I've been measuring by volume, but have been working towards weight for the same accuracy reason that you mentioned. The volume has been pretty easy for me, and I have the recipe memorized that way. Laziness has been more of the reason not to finally switch.

McCarthy Spice out of St. Louis. Kosher Salt 5# $ 8.14 Sea Salt 5# $ 2.42

McCarthy Spice Co.
6757Olive Blvd.
St. Louis Mo. 63130
( 314 ) 725-1688

I was going to give you my spice dealer but I just checked and they don't sell salt. Everything else though they sell in only 50 pound packages with a minimum of 500 pounds per delivery.

Back