MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default What the bark...

Howdy Brethren.

Picked up some oak off of someone's vacant lot (with permission of course), and noticed that the bark just fell off some off the logs quite easily when I was splitting the wood. Looked at the inside of the bark that fell off, and it looked like there were some termite trails.

Is the wood still ok to season? Also, will the other wood stored on my rack be affected? I guess woodpiles are meant to attract bugs and critters (not a commentary on our own prestigious WoodPile of course ) and they all get burned off as extra protein eventually?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Pictures of the split wood could help figure that out.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Fire Grill View Post
Pictures of the split wood could help figure that out.
I'll get some pics in the daylight tomorrow. The wood itself does not look that much different from the other split wood i.e. no obvious holes or termite tracks that I can see.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

It's still good. Just store it away from the house. That's the only real worry. My pecan gets hammered every year by wood boring beetles and I still use it. Basically just adds flavor to the sweet blue!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
It's still good. Just store it away from the house. That's the only real worry. My pecan gets hammered every year by wood boring beetles and I still use it. Basically just adds flavor to the sweet blue!

Bob
OK. That helps. Thanks. Currently the wood is stored on the covered patio since that is the only place where it won't get rained on constantly. I can't put the rack anywhere in the yard since the sprinkler system will spray water on it every other day. The rack is a few feet from an exterior wall of the house. Is that too close? Or should I just move it far away and let it get rained on every now and then? The last thing I need is termites in the house! I guess I just answered my own question... will be moving the wood rack further away.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

I remember that growing up. As many times as I remember seeing the trails, I never once saw the critters. I just assumed they wanted something from the live wood, not the dead, and had just moved on
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Happens to me all the time. I haven't noticed any problems. In fact, I kind of like it when the bark comes right off. I personally prefer to burn without bark on. No reason, just personal preference.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

It's not a concern at all. As long as there isn't any funky mold on it, you'll be fine. If the bark just fell off, I'd say that it's already pretty close to being seasoned enough to use. Or are there that many trails?
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
BobBrisket

I just wouldn't take a chance having em close to the house. What you could do is keep a few logs under the patio in a container or something and replenish your supply as necessary. Since it's on a patio and in a rack (raised up above the ground) you would probably be okay, but why chance it. You could also put something like a thin sheet of plywood on top of the stack just to keep most water off of it. But as stated, as long as it's not getting moldy etc, it's good. My pecan gets hit with water, snow (when we get some) and it's just fine.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
10elawncare
Knows what a fatty is.

I always use a home barrier near the wood to make sure it kills anything and keeps everything away. I use something else but you can go to the depot and pick up Ortho's Home Defense Max, protects against most critters, use it around (not on the wood) and around your house for extra protection. Just .02 That's just a landscapers point of view, I've seen people get termite infestations because the pile wood near their house, when you take that wood in, they are going to need somewhere to go, and your house looks like a buffet to them.
10elawncare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the great advice.

I will spray a bug barrier around (not on) the wood, until I can get the pile situated somewhere else. The plywood "roof" sounds good, and I might get another sheet to keep the pile from getting doused by the sprinkler system.

And maybe the bark falling off is a good thing after all - makes for good kindling to get a big fire started.

Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
RawBacon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Use rocksalt on the ground around and under your wood pile. the local sawmill does this around his wood storage buildings and no bugs.... no grass either. But it is a cheap safe way to keep the little nasty kritters off your wood and away from your house.

Rob
RawBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Bob

Nothing says "mmmm mmmm good" like smoked wood boring beetles
(sorry, couldn't resist!)
smokedinvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I just wouldn't take a chance having em close to the house. What you could do is keep a few logs under the patio in a container or something and replenish your supply as necessary. Since it's on a patio and in a rack (raised up above the ground) you would probably be okay, but why chance it. You could also put something like a thin sheet of plywood on top of the stack just to keep most water off of it. But as stated, as long as it's not getting moldy etc, it's good. My pecan gets hit with water, snow (when we get some) and it's just fine.
This kind of advice (based on experience and years of BBQ cooking) is why everyone here should make sure they contribute $$$ to this site. For what you get, a yearly contribution is a small price to pay.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedinvt View Post
Nothing says "mmmm mmmm good" like smoked wood boring beetles
(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Funny thing is, depending on the time of the life cycle it can either be the larvae or the actual immature beetle. They are the biggest threat to the pecan groves here in the area. LOTS of money is spent trying to keep em away. Not much one can do from keeping em away from a woopdpile. Then, once the beetle vacates the piece of wood, the leaf cutter bees start move into the the little tunnels! The mocking birds camp out in the woodpile when the beetles start to emerge and feast on em for days. Maybe that's what gives my brisket that mysterious flavor profile!

This was a good thread on the subject:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...boring+beetles