Beef filet Tataki

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We went Japanese for the evening.
Did some beef filet in a chunk with peppercorns and pink lake salt.
Tatakiresting_zps884b4305.jpg

Rested and sliced, sooo tender!
TatakiSliced_zpsb3155144.jpg

Made rice cakes and griled those too, until they had a crusty crunchy toasted outer, one of my favourite things!
TatakiYakionigiri_zps634648a8.jpg

I used a white radish (Daikon) to make a pnzu sauce.
I don't know who it was that first had the thought "I know' I'll use radish to make a steak dressing" but he was a freak!!

TatakiPonzu_zps615c14bc.jpg

Sides you can see a delicious cabbage, cucumber and bean salad and also my home made Kim Chi....and The Shiv, inspecting the floor for escapees.
Tatakiplates_zpsebea1310.jpg

I think this assembly of simple complimentary flavours is one of my all time favourite meals.
Thanks for looking me hearties!

Hmmm, well, it does look tasty. I assume you meant Daikon Ponzu sauce, which is tasty too. Yes, I would eat a plate of that.

Although, tataki is meant to be pounded into cutlets prior to grilling.

Good lookin as always...the food I mean! This reminds me that I need to get by the asian market this weekend to pick up some rice cakes. Grandma San used to always char some up for me to dip in soy around new years. But your version looks darn good too. How did you prep them? I have some leftover sticky rice from last night I don't have any plans for.

Hmmm, well, it does look tasty. I assume you meant Daikon Ponzu sauce, which is tasty too. Yes, I would eat a plate of that.
Yes...and yes.
Although, tataki is meant to be pounded into cutlets prior to grilling.

No, "tataki" is also correct in usage when you sear on high heat and chill rapidly and slice thinly...like this.

Good lookin as always...the food I mean! This reminds me that I need to get by the asian market this weekend to pick up some rice cakes. Grandma San used to always char some up for me to dip in soy around new years. But your version looks darn good too. How did you prep them? I have some leftover sticky rice from last night I don't have any plans for.

Thank you bro!
I use Japanese shortgrain rice and no other, but if you mean you have cooked sticky rice, I would definitely use it!
Go easy on the liquid brushing tho and keep i a bit dry, it make get too soggy.

My favourite is to use a little hot beef fat mixed with soy and brush to coat as pictured...but TFO has me using vegetable oil (safflower) instead of beef fat.
:noidea:

Thanks Bill!
The combo, ponzu + beef is so good but I would NEVER have thought of trying it, and was sure it would NOT taste good when I was told what it was when I first came across it.
delirously happily wrong wrong wrong, what a winner!
Beef+grilled rice cakes + kim chi and I am a happy man.:grin:

That beef is doing me in,looks great.The whole spread is great.
I thought you may heve been arrested while flying to Japan a few days ago.
Some bloke from WA caused the plane to be diverted:becky:

Cheers
Titch

That looks just amazing!!! I would be thrilled if you posted a step by step on how to prepared this dish of goodness.

Brian

That looks absolutely outstanding, ALL of it, wow.......I gotta second bmonkman as well, perhaps your next go at this you could do a play by play, would be awsome!

Great stuff Bucc!

Back