Food Safety Question - Work Pot Luck

Jughed

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I typically avoid pot lucks like the plague - this one is mandatory...

The guy in charge of chicken got into work at 5am - placed the uncooked chicken in a 170 oven to "keep it warm, and ready for grilling" at 10am or so.

Isn't this a big danger zone no-no?

Ummm...I'd be skipping the chicken today.:shock:

BTW, Jug. Where are you in town? North, West Ash. or Mt. P.?

Please let us know how everyone's weekend goes.

I remember as a kid at reunions, post funerals gatherings and cookouts- My Dad had one rule for us to follow. Do not eat the deviled eggs, put salt in and on everything else- and don't drink from Uncle Frank's "coffee cup"

I know I could not just stand by and not tell someone with the ability to stop this. I spent a week in the hospital for food poisoning, and we never did track down the source.

I always skip the chicken at events like that there are a lot of people that would rather think they know than look it up and educate themselves

BTW, Jug.

I'd tell all your good friends at work to skip the chicken, too!

Print the chicken food safety page from USDA FSIS and post copies on the oven, time clock, up front at the banquet table......lol

No food at a pot luck is safe.

I took a supervisory class one time and the instructor told us a story about a woman that used to bring cookies every week to work for her coworkers. Someone had to make a visit to her at home and she was making that weeks cookies. One of her cats ran up on the counter and onto the dough. She shooshed the cat away and continued to make cookies. Pot Lucks and shared homemade foods were then banned from the company after that. (this is a true story)

HAVE FUN!!!

I sure hope this got resolved... storing raw chicken in a 170 degree oven is a new one on me and is being stored as I write this in my WHAT NOT TO DO EVER file.

I guess I'm dumb but wouldn't putting it in the oven at 170 and grilling afterwards be the same as putting it in sous vide and grilling at end?
I was sort of thinkin along that line myself. But having been the victim of Food Poisoning by chicken 3 times I learnt my lesson to never eat it unless I cook it. I'd sooner have my cajones roasted over a hot fire than to go through that again.

I guess I'm dumb but wouldn't putting it in the oven at 170 and grilling afterwards be the same as putting it in sous vide and grilling at end?

Yeah, that's a good point...that whole pasteurization thing. HERE is some good info regarding the sous vide process.

I agree to a point but I'd be concerned they were in the danger zone too long before they reached 170°'s.

I've gotten food poisoning twice, the only time I've had to spend the night in a hospital.

No food at a pot luck is safe.

I took a supervisory class one time and the instructor told us a story about a woman that used to bring cookies every week to work for her coworkers. Someone had to make a visit to her at home and she was making that weeks cookies. One of her cats ran up on the counter and onto the dough. She shooshed the cat away and continued to make cookies. Pot Lucks and shared homemade foods were then banned from the company after that. (this is a true story)

HAVE FUN!!!
This reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Nice guy, but not very intelligent.
He always brought doughnuts into work, which was very nice of him. After months of this, I took him aside to say that we would like to chip in. He replied " That's OK, they don't cost me anything.".
He raised rabbits and had an agreement with his local grocery to salvage the expired vegetables from their dumpster to feed his rabbits. He was bringing any doughnuts he found there to work.
Maybe you should just have a talk with your coworker in private.

The difference between Souse Vide and an oven is going from <40 degress to total submersion in the heated liquid vs 170 degree air, there are too many unknowns in the oven. Maybe the 170 oven may have been fine provided the grilling was able to get rid of any lingering bacteria but how long was the bird out of refrigeration prior to the oven, was the bird whole or cut up, was the pan the bird resting on cold or preheated we could go on and on, personally I would not take the risk with mine or anyone else's health.

Found out after some conversion with him - he cooked it the night before and decided to keep it warm until he could "finish" it on the grill.

He typically isnt the kind of guy that accepts advice well - so I tend to tread lightly with him.

I'm leery of people cooking & don't like stomach issues at all (who does) - went to a family superbowl party a few years back, all food was cooked by our beloved granny - that happened to have norovirus the day before - when she did all the prep. We packed up ASAP, warned everyone, they got mad and continued to eat the cold dips and snacks...

26 of 28 got sick by the next afternoon... none of us got sick.

Back