To stone or not to stone?

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have two questions for the brethren.

First, i want to make home pizza crust using olive oil bread. But i have to bake it at 500-550. I want to do this on the kettle with some lump and KF blue. Is it best to use a stone or to just put the dough straight on the grate. I need to keep a close temp of at least 500 for 10 min. In order to achieve that do i use a lid or not and Should i spread the charcoal out all over or place to one side?

Ok next question. I know this is odd to ask but i need help with a good pizza sauce. I need to find or make one that has very little oregeno, garlic, basil or any other italian seasoning. Im very sensistive to those tastes. haha.
So maybe just tomato sauce. hahaha

thanx

Matt

I'm not familiar with olive oil bread but I would think you would keep the coals indirect and the lid on with vents pretty much wide open.

If you don't like Italian type seasonings then do one with BBQ sauce and brisket or pulled pork. Try something different:thumb:

If you've got a stone, then use it. It makes for a nice crust.

But on second thought, you could post something like this afterward.

Yeah, I'd recommend not using the stone :whistle:

That SUX.. To the above post --> i have thought a bout a bbq chicken pizza. Olive oil bread is a white bread and instead of using 3 cups warm water. its 2 and 3/4 with a 1/4 of EVOO. makes great lavash to. I have the pampered chef stone but i always preheat it to 450. I think im gonna buy a new stone for out side. If i can get the kettle to stay at 450-500 for 30 minutes or so, ithink i found my new bread baking machine.

I use a stone for grilling pizza on the Performer. I have found that if I elevate it on 3 firebricks placed on top of the grate, the top will cook/crisp up at about the same time as the crust is finished on the stone. I only use dough and sauce from a local pizzeria.:thumb:

I use a stone for grilling pizza on the Performer. I have found that if I elevate it on 3 firebricks placed on top of the grate, the top will cook/crisp up at about the same time as the crust is finished on the stone. I only use dough and sauce from a local pizzeria.:thumb:

So three fire bricks on top of the cooking grate with the stone. How long do you cook the pizza for and how long can you maintain a 450 degree temp with the charcoal? its startin to be 90 here and we dont have AC in the house so baking bread in the summer is a no no. haha

I do pizza on the kettle with a mix of Kingsford Blue and Lump. I use either a pan or on the grate. But, I am considering using a cast iron pizza stone now. It would be useful for many things I do with the kettle other than pizza.

I can maintain high temps above 450 in my kettle with all the vents open and coals off to one side of piled in a basket in the middle. Works fine for about 45 minutes and then drops to 400 for another 30 minutes. Then poof! no more fire.

I do pizza on the kettle with a mix of Kingsford Blue and Lump. I use either a pan or on the grate. But, I am considering using a cast iron pizza stone now. It would be useful for many things I do with the kettle other than pizza.

I can maintain high temps above 450 in my kettle with all the vents open and coals off to one side of piled in a basket in the middle. Works fine for about 45 minutes and then drops to 400 for another 30 minutes. Then poof! no more fire.

Hmm, good to know. Where is best place to place a thermometer? is a oven thermometer at grate level good enough or a turkey thermo in the hole of the lid better?

Any recommendations for pizza stones that can withstand high heat and no preheat required?

thanx

640-2008-12-nuclear-explosion-explosion09.jpg

So three fire bricks on top of the cooking grate with the stone. How long do you cook the pizza for and how long can you maintain a 450 degree temp with the charcoal? its startin to be 90 here and we dont have AC in the house so baking bread in the summer is a no no. haha

I use the pizzastone from Redskygrilling.com, it is designed to fit on a 22.5 Weber and is shaped to allow access to the coals. I use RO lump only with a chunk of pecan for smoke.

For cooking time, it depends on how you build your pie, wet/heavy ingredient load, how thick your crust is, whether you use a ceramic stone, how hot you run your grill. For me, thin crust, preheated to approx 475-500, Margharita style is 10 min or less. One must have accessory, a pizza peel.:thumb:

I use the pizzastone from Redskygrilling.com, it is designed to fit on a 22.5 Weber and is shaped to allow access to the coals. I use RO lump only with a chunk of pecan for smoke.

For cooking time, it depends on how you build your pie, wet/heavy ingredient load, how thick your crust is, whether you use a ceramic stone, how hot you run your grill. For me, thin crust, preheated to approx 475-500, Margharita style is 10 min or less. One must have accessory, a pizza peel.:thumb:

I have a pizza peel. just not a good enough stone. My stone is the square pampered chef stone. I use it for baking bread all the time but it says it requires a preheat rather than just putting it in the hot oven. Unless preheat means the stone can be placed in a hot oven but then the STONE needs to preheat so the room temp pizza dough or what ever does not kill it.

Maybe i should try all three ways. A stone, on the grate, and the good ole metal pizza pan.. now for bread baking, i will use a dutch oven or something of the sort.

We do pizza all the time on the Weber direct heat. Pre-heat the stone in the oven or you may very well brake the stone on the Weber. Elevate the stone a couple of inches above the grate to get circulation for the bottom crust. Good luck bro.

I have a pizza peel. just not a good enough stone. My stone is the square pampered chef stone. I use it for baking bread all the time but it says it requires a preheat rather than just putting it in the hot oven. Unless preheat means the stone can be placed in a hot oven but then the STONE needs to preheat so the room temp pizza dough or what ever does not kill it.

It means put the stone in the oven/grill before you crank up the heat and allow the stone to come up to temp with your cooker. Sticking a room temp stone into 500 degrees is bad for it.

It means put the stone in the oven/grill before you crank up the heat and allow the stone to come up to temp with your cooker. Sticking a room temp stone into 500 degrees is bad for it.

So how do i accomplish that with charcoal. i light my charcoal in a chimney and in 15-20 min, its all done and once i pour it into the kettle its all hot and stuff. HAHA. Sorry, im really really tired and cant think of what im doing. So how do i preheat a stone with charcoal? haha thanx

EDIT

Sorry meat burner, didnt see your post.. thanx for the hint

straight on the grill.....shocked that it's some of the best pizza ive ever eaten/made

put it on and let one side char/cook.....then put ingredients on that side and put on grill again till done

straight on the grill.....shocked that it's some of the best pizza ive ever eaten/made

put it on and let one side char/cook.....then put ingredients on that side and put on grill again till done

Sweet action. thanx. Im gonna try it this way and on the new baking stone i bought for the kettle. i wanted a stone so i could bake bread outside. its from red sky grilling. its a D shaped stone specifically for the kettles. Got it off of amazon.

thanx guys.

Back