New Pizza Stone...

jack040806

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I got a pizza stone today and I am so excited to get some cooking going on with this thing even though the weather here is a little rough might have to use the white box in the kitchen tonight. Anyways my question for the brethren is thus, I have seen a ton of pizzas made on grills on here but they all seem to be on bge's can you make a pizza on another type of grill such as a weber?

My suggestion would be to bank the coals to one side as much as possible and then stone on the other side and be sure to rotate the pizza 180 degrees midway through.

What is the diameter of the pizza stone you bought ?

Sure you can. Make sure the stone can take the direct heat.

Its a 14.75" er and it says on the box only to use in the oven but I know that they don't really mean that.

Be sure to heat the stone along with the grill...it may crack if you put the cold stone on a hot grill...don't ask me how I know this...:icon_blush:

You know, the upcoming BBQ Throwdown category will be pizza........:biggrin:

Ok maybe dumb question how in the name of all that is holy do you transfer the pizza from a cutting board to the preheated stone?

Do not over top the pizza, it will weigh it down and make it extremely difficult to transfer. And make sure the temp is at least 500 degrees, AT LEAST.

Ok maybe dumb question how in the name of all that is holy do you transfer the pizza from a cutting board to the preheated stone?

prep it on a wooden pizza peel paddle (see my avatar) or prep it on non-stick parchment paper (and be sure to have ample flour or cornmeal)

The brethren come through with a wealth of knowledge once again. Thank you. Can I cook the pizza with parchment paper below it? Like prep it on the parchment paper and slide that straight onto stone?

Prep the pizza on parchment paper and then cut the paper to size - do not let it overhang the stone (don't ask but you can probably get that mental image) the parchment can withstand the heat and makes it easy to transfer your pizza.
Don't forget pics.

So solid, I was getting frustrated and all I really needed to do was ask advice... Thanks all

Lynn's suggestion is right on if you want to use the paper during the cook. I have done it with and without.. and have even begun experimenting with aluminum pizza screen on top of the stone

When I use parchment paper, I've seen the best results when removing during the last few minutes to really help the crust get golden brown

If you're doing a really high heat pizza cook, be sure the dough is rolled thin so the top does not get too dark before the dough is cooked.

So I would still need flour on the bottom for when I go to remove the parchment paper then correct? And pics will definitely be forthcoming when it turns out, tonights attempt is what sparked this discussion because it came out with an appearance that reminded me of the hunchback of notre dame... Still tasted amazing but I will be giving it a go again tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

Back