MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #6961
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have you built a "standard" UDS yet? If not I highly suggest you start with a simple build. Score yourself a Weber lid and you can have at least two racks that will hold a ton of meat. If you build a big enough charcoal basket you will not need to access it during any cook. Some people report their UDS running over 24 hours. As far as the water pan (I do not use one) but many people just use an empty pan filled with sand or a clay dish as a diffuser. In Illinois you should not have a real problem with lack of humidity.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #6962
gjdad
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Have you built a "standard" UDS yet? If not I highly suggest you start with a simple build. Score yourself a Weber lid and you can have at least two racks that will hold a ton of meat. If you build a big enough charcoal basket you will not need to access it during any cook. Some people report their UDS running over 24 hours. As far as the water pan (I do not use one) but many people just use an empty pan filled with sand or a clay dish as a diffuser. In Illinois you should not have a real problem with lack of humidity.
I have a few lids

Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #6963
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdad View Post
I have a few lids
Heh, yeah, I missed that. Be aware though that you may have to flatten and form the lip of the lid around the lip of the drum as many times it is not a perfect fit.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #6964
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
X2.. jgdad, it's neat your thinking ahead, nttawwt, but you could build two or three simple drums that will probably save you alot of headaches, and money..
This tread is all about keeping it simple! Good luck with you build!! Post pics when your done. We all learn new ways to do things here!!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #6965
Meat Burner

It's fun to see what folk tinker with and try to make better. Some very good ideas and some not so much. I would agree that the first UDS should be the most basic build and not try to outsmart simplicity. My first one worked so well, I haven't changed a thing on the other 10 or so I have build. The simple build works as advertised.....awsome!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #6966
gjdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddie View Post
X2.. jgdad, it's neat your thinking ahead, nttawwt, but you could build two or three simple drums that will probably save you alot of headaches, and money..
This tread is all about keeping it simple! Good luck with you build!! Post pics when your done. We all learn new ways to do things here!!
I truly appreciate all the feedback. My reason for stacking is that should allow me to cook on 6 racks with one fire. I hope that by discussing my plans here the weakness can be found and improved upon.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #6967
samiam
Knows what a fatty is.

Time to add some color to this thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I really learned a lot and am a happy smoker.

The Purple Pig Smoker.

Firebox from the cheepo Lowe's grill

Note to self, don't put the wheels on until AFTER the hot burn.

Innards after first cook and seasoning

Poultry proof

Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #6968
jkalach
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hello, thanks and a few questions

Greetings all. This is a great site and thanks to all who contributed to this helpful thread. I just picked up a drum and everything I need to build my UDS, but I have a few questions that I did not see specficially answered here.

I bought a reconditioned drum from a barrel company. I don't know what was in it but the seller said all their drums are sent out to be burned and repainted. Mine is "unlined" but seems to have a thin, dark grey coating on the inside that's rough to the touch. You can almost see metal through it. Could it be rust inhibitor and is it dangerous?

Also, I saw a "no weld" method for air intakes that uses pipe nipples and conduit nuts to secure them, but the nuts are zinc coated. Will three, thin conduit nuts at the inside bottom of the drum be a health hazard?

I planning to do a burnout of my barrel this weekend but will try to post some pics of it here before I do. Also thinking of getting it sandblasted after the burn.

Thanks again.

Jim
jkalach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #6969
gjdad

[QUOTE=samiam;1429192]Time to add some color to this thread. Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I really learned a lot and am a happy smoker.

The Purple Pig Smoker

Thanks again everyone![QUOTE]

That looks like a might small pig. Yet it had wings go I guess pigs can fly.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #6970
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam View Post
Firebox from the cheepo Lowe's grill

Sweet charcoal basket

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #6971
gjdad

Here is something similar to what I was tinking off building.

Another shot

Last edited by gjdad; 10-13-2010 at 08:18 AM..
gjdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #6972
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdad View Post
Here is something similar to what I was tinking off building.

Another shot

Are ya gonna need a ladder to get to the top rack ?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #6973
gjdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Are ya gonna need a ladder to get to the top rack ?
Nope I am 6' foot and each drum is 35" high.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #6974
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalach View Post
Greetings all. This is a great site and thanks to all who contributed to this helpful thread. I just picked up a drum and everything I need to build my UDS, but I have a few questions that I did not see specficially answered here.

I bought a reconditioned drum from a barrel company. I don't know what was in it but the seller said all their drums are sent out to be burned and repainted. Mine is "unlined" but seems to have a thin, dark grey coating on the inside that's rough to the touch. You can almost see metal through it. Could it be rust inhibitor and is it dangerous?
Not sure without seeing a pic and sorry can't help ya with that one.
Also, I saw a "no weld" method for air intakes that uses pipe nipples and conduit nuts to secure them, but the nuts are zinc coated. Will three, thin conduit nuts at the inside bottom of the drum be a health hazard? Doubtful since the area that they are in won't get that hot.

I planning to do a burnout of my barrel this weekend but will try to post some pics of it here before I do. Also thinking of getting it sandblasted after the burn.

Thanks again.

Jim
Hope it helps and good luck!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #6975
samiam
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
That looks like a might small pig. Yet it had wings go I guess pigs can fly.
It was a bugger to catch and I'll be damned if it didn't taste just like chicken.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker