MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #3586
obnepec
Found some matches.

Default recipes?

Still looking around on what type of drum I want to go with.

My question is this:

Right now I have a small propane with water pan vertical smoker. I have never had to flip the meat for brisket, ribs and butts for pulled pork. I have seen a few posts that mention flipping the meat. Could you post what you have had to do to the meat during cooking? Ie if I am doing some butts I have always heard to keep the fat cap on top so that it sort of bastes the meat as it cooks and ribs I always put bone side down. How will this need to change once I build a uds?

Also I was thinking instead of having a huge modification for a water pan thats integrated into the charcoal box and one that is easily changed I was going to add another grate just above where the coal basket ends and then if I want water I can put disposable tin foil baking dishes on top and fill them with water. If nothing else I could experiment (the engineer in me) with different size/configuration of water pans such that I diffuse the heat and smoke from being just in the center with a small water pan or along the perimeter etc. Anyone tried this?

Obnepec
obnepec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #3587
mr_congeniality
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks to all for the valuable info. Once I realized I didn't need to weld, the rest was easy. Well, to a point. Drill holes, no sweat. A friend found a weber kettle on the sidewalk to be given away. Lip was cut off with no problem. Even the barrel burn went fine after my wife left for the weekend (something to do about now getting caught).

But the thought of the noise, the dust, and the dark (It would be a tight fit in there), just wouldn't cut it. For a minimal amount, I had it sandblasted and powdercoated. My wife just won't go for ugly.

A friend noted it was the best chicken she ever tested. The got her husband riled up and a week later, he issued a throwdown challenge. I guess I'll just have to rough him up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrel after 1st burn and charcoal cage.jpg (42.8 KB, 1200 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Smoker.jpg (29.7 KB, 1201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (122.7 KB, 1207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (61.4 KB, 1196 views)
mr_congeniality is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #3588
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily View Post
grinder hands down most chaps cant cut metal with those things and waste blades, disc's are cheap.

metal cut-off disks on grinders are great for straight cuts but suck at curved cuts.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #3589
Bugnasty
Found some matches.

WOW!!! This is one crazy thread. This thread alone, though I didnt read the entire thread, has helped me to better understand the UDS concept and all I needed to know about it. You guys are so much more than informative in all the best ways to not only build, but effectively use and cook a fabulous range of meats. My UDS is coming home this saturday. I didnt make it, but I will in fact upgrade it to best suit my likes. And I am sure if I have any problems, I simply need only to span this encyclopedia of knowledge in this thread.

Rob
Bugnasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #3590
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnasty View Post
My UDS is coming home this saturday. I didnt make it, but I will in fact upgrade it to best suit my likes.
Rob
Yeah some people marry pregnant women and miss most of the fun. Welcome to the Drum Corps. Remember to post pics.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #3591
Wampus

Awwwwwww.....C'mon!!!!!

I keep reading this thread (I think I'm on like page 35) and you guys just keep making it LONGER!!!! At this rate, it'll be Christmas before I read it all!!!!!

LOL!!

Just kiddin.....all good stuff. I'm probably ready, but just afraid I'm gonna miss an important mod!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #3592
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post

Just kiddin.....all good stuff. I'm probably ready, but just afraid I'm gonna miss an important mod!!!

That's one of the reasons why I kept reading this thread.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #3593
helljack6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
That's one of the reasons why I kept reading this thread.
If you find the post regarding if and how a redneck would build it, you could skip over this extremely long 240+ reading as you're not missing a whole lot of anything above and beyond the KISS principle behind the UDS build assuming you're past the cleaning/burn stage.

1. Drill Intake holes at either 3/4 or 1 inch in size, use either capped nipple valves/ball valve or magnets to control airflow
2. Construct charcoal basket with at least 3 inches clearance below for airflow
3. install cooking grate at least 24 inches above charcoal pan/plate/basket (leaves about 6-8 inches of space if using the flat lid and 2 inch bung as exhaust port)
4. Install thermometer at or just slightly above or below cook grate level
5. Add 6 inch tall by 2 inch ID pipe to flat lid bung for exhaust
6. COOK BABY COOK!

Get the concept build down first and cook with it a few times to see how it runs then either modify it or build another using the first as your template then modify. Don't need to read 240+ pages to learn how to do 6 things that take probably less than an hour to do. Don't mean this to sound rude or anything, but after the first 160 pages, several thread hijacks and off track what nots, you pretty much have about all the information you need, everything else is someone's else's custom mod/enhancement unless you just enjoy the reading.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #3594
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by helljack6 View Post
Don't mean this to sound rude or anything, but after the first 160 pages, several thread hijacks and off track what nots, you pretty much have about all the information you need, everything else is someone's else's custom mod/enhancement unless you just enjoy the reading.

Thanx Helljack!
I hope a lot of other reading this because I have the feeling lately that people are asking questions before reading.
When I saw Norco's tutorial and read on the forum that many guys follow his kind of build a thought:ok,this is it!?
I'm gonna build me one of these!
I love this thread very much and the reason why I said I don´t wanna miss out on any mods that are posted is because I´m still busy with the build.
Plus I like the ammount of info in the off track discussions too.
Most important of all is that I used Norco´s tutorial and did a couple of mods which I think will work for me.
Here are some pics if you haven´t seen em yet in this thread.
Norco´s tutorial rules!

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #3595
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

OK, I have a pretty stupid question. My barrel had extra virgin olive oil in it. once I open it up can I just take it to the car wash and use the soap that comes out of that gun to get all of the oil out or do I need to use some sort of degreaser?
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #3596
schoonch
Knows what a fatty is.

It's pre-seasoned. You're golden!
schoonch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #3597
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Yeah some people marry pregnant women and miss most of the fun. Welcome to the Drum Corps. Remember to post pics.
Awesome!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #3598
deeque
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

good looking UDS you've built there phubar. good luck and Smoke on Bro.

UDS
WEBER OTG 22.5
deeque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #3599
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonch View Post
It's pre-seasoned. You're golden!

He´s right!
Mine had palmoil,I let it stand in the hot sun upside down so I could drain it through the hole,let it drip in a bucket and washed the barrel with a degreaser.

*WGA Ambassador

Old 07-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #3600
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeque View Post
good looking UDS you've built there phubar. good luck and Smoke on Bro.

Doing my best bro´!
Hopefully you´ll see the end results soon.
Can´t wait till my first smoke!

*WGA Ambassador

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker