New chili recipe anyone?

Coach Jones

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was in sub freezing weather for a few days which got me in the mood for some chili, I'm gonna whip up a batch tomorrow and thought I would try out something new. Anyone wanna share a recipe worth bragging about?

· 3 pounds of cubed or coarse ground venison
· 3 tablespoons of butter
· 3 tablespoons cooking oil
· 2 cans of light red kidney beans
· 2 cans of dark red kidney beans
· 1 and 1/2 cups tomato sauce
· 3/4 cup of tomato paste
· 1 can stewed tomatoes
· 6 cloves garlic, chopped (2 tablespoons)
· 6 Jalapeno peppers, chopped *
· 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped fine
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
· 1/2 cup water
· 2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
· 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
· 3 tablespoons chili powder
· 2 tablespoons honey
· 1 tablespoon oregano
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat up a skillet and brown the venison in the butter and oil. A big secret to good tasting chili is to really brown the venison well. Add the onion and garlic to the browned venison and cook until softened. Drain well.
Put the venison, onion and garlic into a large crock pot ( 6 to 8 quarts). Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low. Cook for another 6 to eight hours, stirring every once in a while. The homemade venison chili should be fairly thick. If not, cook on high with the cover off for another hour or so.
Serve the chili topped off with shredded cheese, sour cream and hot cornbread. It freezes well too, if any is left over. (very unlikely)

This has both beans and uses a crockpot, surefire way to liven up your thread, lol...

And it works just fine with either cubed or ground beef...

Thanks to all, I'm new to the brethren and look forward to enjoying to many years of pie smokin' satisfaction with ya'll.

Thanks again for the input on the child's'

Texas Chili
(very hot)

3 pounds. lean chuck, cut into ½ inch cubes
3 tablespoon. lard or oil
1 large. yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ teaspoon. ground cumin
¼ cup crushed red pepper flakes
3 dried ancho peppers, stems, seeds removed;cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (10 ½ ounce.)can condensed beef broth
1 can water(use broth can)
½ teaspoon. dried Mexican oregano, crushed

Place the peppers in a blender; blend until ground.
Heat up the lard in a large sauce pan or skillet and sauté the onions until tender.
Add the meat, garlic, cumin, and ground peppers. Cook until the meat is brown.
Stir in beef broth, water, and Mexican oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce
heat.
Simmer uncovered, for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.

With a few minor adjustments (brisket, garlic/spices), this is Wampus' chili. NOTE: not claiming anyone borrowed or adapted from anyone else.

Ha, interesting. I make some adjustments most notably the addition of sliced chorizo.

With a few minor adjustments (brisket, garlic/spices), this is Wampus' chili. NOTE: not claiming anyone borrowed or adapted from anyone else.

BINGO!

I've been told or read somewhere that if you change at least 4 things (I think it was 4.....maybe 6?) in a recipe then it's a new recipe. The boilermaker tailgate chili recipe is how mine started for sure. I found and loved that recipe years ago. After I got into BBQ in '09 I wanted to find or develop a brisket chili recipe so after researching and asking here, someone suggested that I just add brisket to my favorite chili recipe, so that's what I did. I added some stuff, changed some stuff and BAM. Done.

Good catch though. Either recipe is phenomenal, but the addition of the brisket cubes just puts it over the top!

I posted this a few weeks back:

A couple of years ago, the Missus and I created a chili recipe that was so darn good, we use it exclusively now. Given that we've had a week of cold weather here, yesterday seemed to be a great day to make a batch and enjoy a nice bowl of chili in front of the fireplace.

Here's how my portion looked:

DSC_2406_zps17f4ea5b.jpg

It was so good I had another serving! Tomorrow, I'm going to make a big plate of nachos for dinner using some of this chili, which I will also share with you.

The key to this recipe is in both how it is cooked, and the specific kind of chili powder, which is the very best we've found:

Moose & The Missus’ Chili

Makes 8 servings

What you’ll need to get started:

A ceramic or clay pot with cover, OR a large cast iron pot with cover. Cooking chili over a stovetop is a virtual guarantee you will burn your spices, which will cause them to turn bitter. By using a heavy pot and cooking the chili in the oven, you’ll be using gentle heat, which will ensure none of the spices will burn. VERY important! The Red Lion chili powder listed in the recipe is a must. It is vastly superior to anything you can find in a store and the owner of the company makes the powder from freshly grown chiles on his property. They are also members of the Brethren, and you can find more info HERE, in their sales & ventures page.

1.5-2 lbs each beef chuck and pork shoulder, cubed to ½ -1 inch. (You can use all pork or beef if you prefer)
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
1 med white onion, chopped
7 cloves garlic
1 whole jalapeno 1 bottle beer, preferably dark
1.5 cups water
4 bay leaves
½ cup Red Lion Competition Chili Powder (you can get this online at www.redlionspicyfoods.com
10 chile de arbol, stems and seeds removed
1 tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
I chipotle chile + 1 tsp adobo (Make sure it’s of the canned variety)
Salt to taste
Optional: Cooked Pinto Beans, rinsed and soaked for 10 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Blend tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles de arbol in blender until smooth.

3. Brown pork and beef in separate pans, then pour off remaining liquid to reserve for later. Finish browning meat, then deglaze pans with beer.

4. Add browned meat to your cooking pot, then add tomato and beer/liquid mixture along with jalapeno & bay leaves. Cook covered at 350 for one hour. After one hour, add chili powder, and cook for another 1.5 hours, covered. After 1.5 hours, turn oven down to 300 degrees and salt to taste, then add cumin and coriander and cook uncovered for an additional 30 mins. If you want beans in your chili, this final phase would be a good time to add them. Remove jalapeno and bay leaves before serving.

5. Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions or scallions.

Add to any of the above recipe's, my secret ingredient.........Wait for it...............Wait for it...........One 12 oz can of.........Wait for it............Crushed Pineapple.... you'll never go back.....try it

I'm going to have to make some Chili I guess, I make some pretty killer stuff, but I always fly by the seat of the pants. I've never written down a recipe in my life, well once for a commercial product (they're kind of picky that way).

All this Chili talked killed me guess what is chuckling along in the DO out in the Kitchen:becky:

I posted this a few weeks back:

A couple of years ago, the Missus and I created a chili recipe that was so darn good, we use it exclusively now. Given that we've had a week of cold weather here, yesterday seemed to be a great day to make a batch and enjoy a nice bowl of chili in front of the fireplace.

Here's how my portion looked:

DSC_2406_zps17f4ea5b.jpg

It was so good I had another serving! Tomorrow, I'm going to make a big plate of nachos for dinner using some of this chili, which I will also share with you.

The key to this recipe is in both how it is cooked, and the specific kind of chili powder, which is the very best we've found:

Moose & The Missus’ Chili

Makes 8 servings

What you’ll need to get started:

A ceramic or clay pot with cover, OR a large cast iron pot with cover. Cooking chili over a stovetop is a virtual guarantee you will burn your spices, which will cause them to turn bitter. By using a heavy pot and cooking the chili in the oven, you’ll be using gentle heat, which will ensure none of the spices will burn. VERY important! The Red Lion chili powder listed in the recipe is a must. It is vastly superior to anything you can find in a store and the owner of the company makes the powder from freshly grown chiles on his property. They are also members of the Brethren, and you can find more info HERE, in their sales & ventures page.

1.5-2 lbs each beef chuck and pork shoulder, cubed to ½ -1 inch. (You can use all pork or beef if you prefer)
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
1 med white onion, chopped
7 cloves garlic
1 whole jalapeno 1 bottle beer, preferably dark
1.5 cups water
4 bay leaves
½ cup Red Lion Competition Chili Powder (you can get this online at www.redlionspicyfoods.com
10 chile de arbol, stems and seeds removed
1 tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
I chipotle chile + 1 tsp adobo (Make sure it’s of the canned variety)
Salt to taste
Optional: Cooked Pinto Beans, rinsed and soaked for 10 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Blend tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles de arbol in blender until smooth.

3. Brown pork and beef in separate pans, then pour off remaining liquid to reserve for later. Finish browning meat, then deglaze pans with beer.

4. Add browned meat to your cooking pot, then add tomato and beer/liquid mixture along with jalapeno & bay leaves. Cook covered at 350 for one hour. After one hour, add chili powder, and cook for another 1.5 hours, covered. After 1.5 hours, turn oven down to 300 degrees and salt to taste, then add cumin and coriander and cook uncovered for an additional 30 mins. If you want beans in your chili, this final phase would be a good time to add them. Remove jalapeno and bay leaves before serving.

5. Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions or scallions.

MOOSE! I gotta tell ya...... the last time I made a pot of chili I tried your idea of cooking it in the oven in my DO.

I will NEVER cook chili on the stove again!
I don't know HOW many times I've scorched a pot of chili.
I've flat out RUINED it before trying to heat it too quickly and burning the bottom of the pot.

BRILLIANT SIR!!!!! :clap: :thumb:

MOOSE! I gotta tell ya...... the last time I made a pot of chili I tried your idea of cooking it in the oven in my DO.

I will NEVER cook chili on the stove again!
I don't know HOW many times I've scorched a pot of chili.
I've flat out RUINED it before trying to heat it too quickly and burning the bottom of the pot.

BRILLIANT SIR!!!!! :clap: :thumb:

Actually, it was the Misuss' idea - she started doing stews and such in clay pots, and chili fits that category. Comes out way better, and like yerself, I too burned many a pot of chili on the stove. Those spices are heat sensitive, particularly cumin, which states AWFUL when it gets the slightest bit burned. This is why a lot of chili cooks add cumin towards the end, but when you cook it like we do, there's no need.

So....when you plan on trying my chili recipe? :confused:

:laugh:

Back