Burger Help

bookie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been trying to smoke some burgers. I smoke for about 40 minutes at 215 then finish in a cast iron skillet with butter. My problem is they're dry... real dry. Meat quality was good. Any suggestions for some moistness?
Thanks

Go hot and fast - preferably direct. A burger will render out the fat as it cooks - too much so if you cook at too low a temp.

Low and slow is best for big cuts with lots of collagens and marbling like briskets, pork shoulder and chuckies.

What is the blend you are using?
Are you working it a lot when making the patties?
40 minutes seems like a long time to smoke - even at 215...
I go hot and fast with burgers -

Min of 20% fat on those burgers and I agree 40 minutes may be a little long. Really your just doing a reverse sear on them but cooking/smoking them too long. IMO I love smoked burger with applewood smoked bacon and a big slice of cheddar!

If u insist on low for 40 minutes go for 20 and see what how u like it and work from there.:idea:

I hate smoked burgers! My Father in Texas wanted to mesquite smoke everything we ate.
His burgers were not dry because they where probably 50/50 and 3" thick.
But I just hated them, his brisket, ribs, seafood and turkey, perfect!
A friend made some smoked sliders with some crazy blend of meats including pork fat that were really good.
Good Luck

Get an instant read thermometer and cook them to the doneness you prefer however long that takes. Might be 15 or 20 minutes.

it's a hamburger, let's not over-complicate it.

Agreed.

Typically the hot and fast method is the way to go. If you want smoke, as soon as you get a nice smoke going, throw it on raw at room temp or slightly lower. Use an instant read thermometer, check for desired temp (i recommend 125 - 130) and pull it.

For me, I usually grill at around 500 degrees with 3-5 minutes per side with 80/20 ground mystery meat. I actually don't prefer chuck as it has too much of a steak taste for me. :icon_blush:

Higher fat content. A little less time and add moisture. Scramble up some egg to mix in and add a little worcestershire.

Back