MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I have a bunch of red oak logs that I have for the fireplace. Would that due well with pork and beef?
That would be great for the beef. I usually use fruit wood for pork(cherry, grape, that's all I have). Oak also works for pork, but it's flavor profile is a bit heavy and can overpower the pork if too much is used.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

OK the black beauty is in. I plan on giving her a nice washing and then season her w/ veg oil. I read somewhere about Crisco, anyone familiar with this? Also I read some people spray the veg oil on both the inside and the outside. is this still recommended? What about the firebox?
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Grease, lard, Crisco, doesn't matter. Just don't use motor oil. As far as the chimney, congrats on the purchase but don't load that thing up to start a UDS. You need 8-12 briqs lit. That's it. If you throw a whole lit chimney on top of your basket you'll never get the temp down low enough.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Smokeout View Post
Grease, lard, Crisco, doesn't matter. Just don't use motor oil. As far as the chimney, congrats on the purchase but don't load that thing up to start a UDS. You need 8-12 briqs lit. That's it. If you throw a whole lit chimney on top of your basket you'll never get the temp down low enough.
TY for the tip, I'll use 10 briqs :) Regarding the lard and such do you guys spread it on the outside, grates and firebox?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Plus 1 on the # of briqs in the chimney...gets up there quick. I use about the same, and catch the temp on the way up, not down.
Also...Northern Tool has welding gloves too, but use good oven mitts, works just as well.
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The lard is only for the inside. The grates will get seasoned A's you cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

TY Pyle...

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #23
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS White Arcs Smoker review

OK I finally broke my UDS in and here is the deal. This post will be details of the drum and what I have seen so far.
It's a black 55 Gal drum with 3 rack position, top rack is 5" from the top, the 2nd rack is 5.5" from the top rack. And the lowest rack is 6.5" from the middle rack. There are only 3 air intakes (as opposed to 4 as I have seen elsewhere) 2 nipples and 1 ball valve. The intake holes are 3" above the lower lip from the outside. Now let me try and post some pictures. (seems I am going to have to learn how to do this so for now I am going to include a link to flicker for my pics)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaspipe...7626815433707/

My only issues was 1. the hole for the thermometer was too small needed to redrill a larger hole. 2. the washer that holds the ash plate was too small and easily comes off the firebox. Other then that this UDS seems like a great deal for someone who doesn't have the time to build one themselves.
I think the two racks that came with it along with the thermometer are a lil less then great. But that is easily replaceable down the line. All the welds seems great, has 4 wheels on the bottom that glide nice. 2 strong handles on the side and a large handle on the lid.

No holes on the lid other then the two caps as an exhaust. And to be honest I think w/in two more cooks I will have mastered the temp control on this puppy. Seems one open nipple and a half closed valve has me set on 225. Also the lid was really nice and snug, no smoke leaking from the sides at all.

The fire box is 12 wide x 12.5 long x 11 high (hight is measured from the outside) also you will notice that there is 2 inches from the ash tray to the bottom of the firebox (so if you measure the hight from the inside it will be 9" <11"-2">) Btw the handle on the firebox is really nice and secure.

I hope I am maken sense, it's been a long day, but if there is any questions pls ask! I would like to thank this website and it's community for my UDS. To be honest I never considered a UDS untill all the people here recommended it and my wife said no way we're spending 1700 bucks on a stump! Guess I shud go thank her too... No worries Stump, my next one is all you.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/tools.htm
These are the gloves I got, they do fine for me.
I'm sure with enough looking you'd find something else that works for you if those do not.
Grats on your new purchase man.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Regarding my first cookout on it: it was great. I didn't have much time so I did a basic rib meal. Veg Oil and that rib rub and that was it, an hour before the smoker. That was the 1st time I trimmed my own ribs, I think I need some more practice. BTW the one larger piece that I trimmed away from the BB ribs was insane. Had barley any bones and tasted great! Plus I got to eat them a lil sooner. As far as I am concerned that right there should be the new McRib! The ABT i used a sharp cheddar and cream cheese wrapped in apple smoked bacon which was nice and thick. Then I sprinkled paprika and that's it. I did nothing to the chorizo sausage. I had all these apps smoke on the grill for 2 hours.

BTW I didn't want to do anything to the ribs b/c I wanted to taste them dry to appreciate the smoke and the juiciness of the meat w/out sauce. Was amazing, each time I lifted the lid during the 3-1-1 there was moister on the lid. The meat was really good and moist. And I didn't spray w/ apple juice, nor did I jazz it up w/ butter and honey while in foil.

Can't wait to do some more Q!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaspipe...7626815433707/

BTW TY mnmgri4 for your help w/ my ribs!!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hmm, is that a liner in there? Do you know what the barrel held before it was converted? Yes there is plenty of debate about liners and whether they are safe or not. Personally I prefer to have drums with out them or with them removed. This would be especially true if I were paying money to someone else for the product. Not to mention the ramifications should someone get sick. Who do you blame and who assumes liability? Even with "clean" drums this is a major reason I have yet to sell a UDS. I have made some for friends that paid for the parts and such but if you sell them as a commercial product you assume liability.

Other than that it looks like it should work fine. In regards to temp control, I have found it always varies a bit. There are just too many variables that go in to a cook to dictate a certain setting on the intakes. Just a few will include ambient temp, wind, charcoal (both type and how its loaded), rack fullness, how you start the fire, etc. Basically I am just saying to not expect it to run the exact same every time.

Your food looks great and congrats on a new toy. Also, I am assuming that the lower rack position is designed to hold some sort of water pan/diffuser/heat sink should you find you want to use one.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Hmm, is that a liner in there? Do you know what the barrel held before it was converted? Yes there is plenty of debate about liners and whether they are safe or not. Personally I prefer to have drums with out them or with them removed. This would be especially true if I were paying money to someone else for the product. Not to mention the ramifications should someone get sick. Who do you blame and who assumes liability? Even with "clean" drums this is a major reason I have yet to sell a UDS. I have made some for friends that paid for the parts and such but if you sell them as a commercial product you assume liability.
The white stuff you see in the drum was crisco, the pic was taken just before I seasoned it. The website says they only use food grade drums and never use any galvanized parts. As a precaution I had the drum going at 400*+ for 2 hours during the seasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Your food looks great and congrats on a new toy. Also, I am assuming that the lower rack position is designed to hold some sort of water pan/diffuser/heat sink should you find you want to use one.
TY regarding the food, I thought it was really good. You are correct regarding the lower rack. It can be used to hold a water pan, or even use it to grill meat on high heat. I have not used it at all but am looking fwd to it.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

That looks like a liner. I think all food grade drums have liners so they don't react with the metal. Mine was a food grade barrel and I had to burn out the liner. Check out the first few pages of my UDS thread. Rocky at BDS used to use drums with liners but switched because it was such a PITA to burn them out.

I don't know if having the liner in there is unsafe or not. I would definitely be checking for off/chemical smells during your burn out.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
45fan
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking grub! I would try to get the liner out as well. I burned out my drum and then had it sandblasted. It only cost about $20... worth the piece of mind to me...

Either way, it all looks GOOD!
45fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #30
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

From my understanding a liner is plastic correct? The inside of this drum is all metal.. The second picture where I hold a tape measure to the inside of the drum showing the spacing between the rack screws. But you guys got me nervous now, lol. I will take a razor to it and make sure there is no liner. Like I mentioned before the white stuff is Crisco that I smeared on to season it.

Tags
charcoal starter, lump, new smoker, uds