MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Default contest trailers with ground problems

plow boy and me and jeff brinker when we plug in to an genorator at an contest our ground falts pop all the time

then this weekend brewmaster nate telles me to get ride of the ground and it will stop (it worked i had full power)

didn't know if any others had this problem

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know that I'd want to get rid of my ground with my electronics on board.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

This happens because the grounds and the neutrals are tied together (paralleled). If you have an electrical panet in your trailer then they are probably all tied under the same ground bar. Because your trailer panel will always be subfed off of whatever you plug into these should be isolated.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

By the way, getting rid of the ground is never a good idea, it's in there for a reason.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

have an electriction look at it and see what the problen is

york

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

I'm an electrician, come and cook the contest in Huron, SD in early June and I'll fix it for free!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

an little to far from st louis

but thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Nate is right....We had the same problem in October at Bass Pro in Columbia. I think Nate's dad was having the same issue too.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Nate is right....We had the same problem in October at Bass Pro in Columbia. I think Nate's dad was having the same issue too.
Well it works in a pinch when you have no other choice.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Big Tom
On the road to being a farker

I had the same problem on a trailer we used to have. The problem that I found was that a neutral and ground wire were connected together in a junction box.

Due to the way the GFCI's work the ground and neutral wires have to be separated.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
I had the same problem on a trailer we used to have. The problem that I found was that a neutral and ground wire were connected together in a junction box.

Due to the way the GFCI's work the ground and neutral wires have to be separated.
It drove me crazy and I finally paid an electrician to fix it. Started with the input to the panel, then the panel, and finally each outlet. Found one where wires were to close together and when plugged into a GFI it would cause a fault. Minor adjustment and no problems since.

For the original poster, don't play with safety. The cost may be higher than you want to pay in the long run.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

First off, I am not an electrician, nor do I claim to know a lot about the subject. But this thread got me thinking about something. Everyone is worried about plugging into an outlet without a ground and they probably do it all the time without realizing it. I have even done it myself without thinking about it. The people who run generators at contests, unless they have a copper rod planted in the ground, are running ungrounded power. I was reading on a couple websites that they recommend 8' of copper rod to ground a generator. I have seen a lot of rigs doing this and wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Cheers,
Nate
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
First off, I am not an electrician, nor do I claim to know a lot about the subject. But this thread got me thinking about something. Everyone is worried about plugging into an outlet without a ground and they probably do it all the time without realizing it. I have even done it myself without thinking about it. The people who run generators at contests, unless they have a copper rod planted in the ground, are running ungrounded power. I was reading on a couple websites that they recommend 8' of copper rod to ground a generator. I have seen a lot of rigs doing this and wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Cheers,
Nate

Actually you are totaly correct - if you are running ot a generator - there is no true ground. Plain in simple. Home generators that are a backup for your house power, will ahve a ground, because the ground is already installed.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Big Mike's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Nate, I am not an electrician either but I do now that what you said is not entirely accurate. When running a generator you do not have a "ground" connected, that is true. However the purpose of a "ground wire" running from your equipment is to protect you in case something shorts, or you have a faulty neutral wire. In a generator you still have this protection it just goes to the generator instead of the ground rod. That is why people have problems with GFCI's and generators. As stated above GFCI's do not like to have the neutral and grounds connected.

Big Mike's BBQ
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
pigpen269
Full Fledged Farker

I am sort of an electrician, No license but i work with electricity on the job all the time. A GFCI will not work correctly on an ungrounded system and a portable generator is an ungrounded system. So if you are relying on a GFCI in a trailer to save your butt in case something gets wet than you are not completely protected. It may work it may not. You would have to have an external ground rod in the ground and have the ground wires in the panal completely seperate from the neutral wires in order for it to work. If you don't have the ground rod in the ground than nothing is grounded.
Blue UDS (UBD)
Homemade 18"/36" Grillzilla
Lang 60, (RIP)
Home Built Trailer (500gallon Oil drum).(RIP)
pigpen269 is offline   Reply With Quote