An open question to everybody...

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, duh, the economy is bad..

What will happen to the Competition BBQ World next year. What, if anything, is KCBS BOD's planning to minimize the effect of the economy on the organization ?

For a lot of contests last year, seems the attendance was down, and things were seemingly good for the most part with the exception of gas prices.

If you are a contest organizer, how will this affect your contest ? Will you still plan on having one ?

If you are a competitor, or a judge, will you change your schedule and eliminate some contests ?

This hobby takes money, a lot of money.. there'll be a lot of us across the board next year that won't have near as much money as previous years.

I want to see Competition BBQ alive for several more years to come. Just wanting to get a warm and fuzzy feeling that things will be ok over the next year or two when times are tough.

I think everything should be fine. I think since gas prices are down that everything should be fine. I believe people will still put money aside for things they enjoy. I am planning a contest and I am going to still go through with it, economic crisis or not. As far as the BOD's go, I don't think there is much they can do about the financial situation. I will compete. I hope to see a lot of people there.

For a lot of contests last year, seems the attendance was down, and things were seemingly good for the most part with the exception of gas prices.

Attendance at each contest was slightly down this year. However, I think that is a result of there being more contests to choose from rather than a decline in interest.

2008 YTD - 257 contests - 10118 teams - Avg 39 teams/contest
2007 YTD - 229 contests - 9496 teams - Avg 41 teams/contest

So by my count there have been 28 more contests this year (up 12.2%) and 622 more teams (up 6.5%).

If you are a competitor, or a judge, will you change your schedule and eliminate some contests ?

We haven't discussed any planning issues yet so I don't know how many comps we'll do next year. It's likely that we do fewer next year though. Like you, I suspect current teams will be cutting back a little but the growth of the sport may be enough to offset that shrinkage.

I do know that I am going to be extremely choosy about which contests we do. There will be 65+ events within a couple of hours of KC so there is no reason to tolerate cramped quarters, poor amenities, or poor organization. I hope organizers take that to heart and get the prize monies up to where they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swore I was going to cut back especially since I am going to make the trek to the royal and the jack next year yet it looks like I will be doing more than I did last year with the addition of a few contests this year coming. I just cant resist it is a terrible disease and I need help/ Hello my name is Sled and I am a competitionaholic

Maybe they should charge an extra $25 for non-KCBS members. Oh, wait...nevermind.

Pickled Pig, you're awesome for keeping those kind of statistics and I really enjoy your site !!:grin: good work !!

I've started going thru my potential contest list, and since there seems to be a couple more contests close to my house, it seems my travel at least will be less next year.

I don't know about alot of people,but I will also be doing the pick and chose method when it comes to contests next year.I think the economy is going to get alot worse by this time next year.I think when unemployment reaches near 10% or above it will affect the contests for sure.I can't see how some who will be unemployed,and there will be alot ,could afford to do contests,they will have to save and pinch every penny.I also think that sponsor money may dry up fast,leaving alot of contests to cancel or cut way,way,back on prize money.I also don't think that gas prices will stay this low for long,OPEC will cut production soon and they will rise quite a bit probably after the first of the year. I personally think the economy will affect everyone and things will be alot worse this time next year.

I don't know about alot of people,but I will also be doing the pick and chose method when it comes to contests next year.I think the economy is going to get alot worse by this time next year.I think when unemployment reaches near 10% or above it will affect the contests for sure.I can't see how some who will be unemployed,and there will be alot ,could afford to do contests,they will have to save and pinch every penny.I also think that sponsor money may dry up fast,leaving alot of contests to cancel or cut way,way,back on prize money.I also don't think that gas prices will stay this low for long,OPEC will cut production soon and they will rise quite a bit probably after the first of the year. I personally think the economy will affect everyone and things will be alot worse this time next year.

There's always the KCBS bailout plan from Congress.

I do know that I am going to be extremely choosy about which contests we do. There will be 65+ events within a couple of hours of KC so there is no reason to tolerate cramped quarters, poor amenities, or poor organization. I hope organizers take that to heart and get the prize monies up to where they should be.

I think many teams will probably cut back some in 2009.

Having more comps to chose from, especially ones that are closer will help. At first it may dilute the attendance at some contest, but having more organizers competing to get cooks at their events is good for everyone. The organizers doing the right things (as the good ones are already doing) will attract the most cooks and become even better events.

We are not planning to cut back on events in 09 at this time, but sure will be looking at ways to do things more cost effective.

I am hoping to go 50/50 with another team for some of the events next year that would make it easier.

Pickled Pig, you're awesome for keeping those kind of statistics and I really enjoy your site !!:grin: good work !!

I've started going thru my potential contest list, and since there seems to be a couple more contests close to my house, it seems my travel at least will be less next year.

I know a good one on Memorial Day weekend that would love to have you back... We even have reps from the South... :wink:

Now that my season is done, I can say that I will cut back next year. I know it won't happen, but it sounds good. I am also planning on teaming up with another team next year and hit a couple of farther away contests. Might even team up and do some more local one's. A lot will depend on my chances for Lynchburg and if I am able to keep up my streak. An auto would be real nice... :-?

I know a good one on Memorial Day weekend that would love to have you back... We even have reps from the South... :wink:

Now that my season is done, I can say that I will cut back next year. I know it won't happen, but it sounds good. I am also planning on teaming up with another team next year and hit a couple of farther away contests. Might even team up and do some more local one's. A lot will depend on my chances for Lynchburg and if I am able to keep up my streak. An auto would be real nice... :-?
You are always welcome to come team up with me here if you want to hit any the local ones around New Yawk:biggrin: You would have to chicken:icon_blush:though

Man, I am just hoping to be able to make it back to Lake Placid this summer.

I believe alot of the smaller contests are going to dry up, if not next season, the following one due to the 09 season. Sponsorships for contests will also be less. We run a contest and one of our sponsors in 07 gave us 188 racks of St. Louis cut spares for our People's Choice contest, this year they said they couldn't do it due to the worsening economy, and this was back in May or June.
Purses are going to shrink for that reason as well, our Major sponsor from last year also threw in the towel this year leaving us to scramble, while we did find one, I don't think they will be willing to foot the bill next year and we will be asking for more prize money this year. We went from 30 teams our first year to 46 teams this year and to grow beyond that, more money will be needed. We have a meeting this afternoon that will tell us what direction this contest will go or if we will even be involved with it.
As to contests, we cut back this year due to gas prices and did mostly local contests. I know next year we will not be doing two of those. So as of right now we have scaled back. If gas prices stay, we might go further but who knows.
As to the BOD finding relief for organizers, they are not interested in it. They are in for the money just like competitors. As long as a contest can prove they have the money to cover prizes, they make their payments to KCBS and the contest is run according to their rules they are happy and have fulfilled their obligations.
It will be an interesting season that is for sure, I think we will see a decline in contests and comingeling of teams.

I'm not cutting back the number of contests... usually cook 8-10... but may try to cook more local. The Royal is really the big financial hit. I don't want to add it all up, but it must be 3-4k.

I'm not cutting back the number of contests... usually cook 8-10... but may try to cook more local. The Royal is really the big financial hit. I don't want to add it all up, but it must be 3-4k.

But you rent the Taj Mahal:wink:

And it's worth every penny. Looking at the cost of the room I kept at the Royal hurt. It was worth every penny when needed but 5 nights added up in a hurry, even with the KCBS discount and it wasn't on site.

But you rent the Taj Mahal:wink:
And it's worth every penny. Looking at the cost of the room I kept at the Royal hurt. It was worth every penny when needed but 5 nights added up in a hurry, even with the KCBS discount and it wasn't on site.

Yeah - we have 5 or 6 guys and its about the same price to rent an RV than to book a couple hotel rooms for the weekend.

Back