Payouts at Comps.

B

baughman

Hello my first post here.

I did a google search since i cant search here( says i need a subscription). What is the standard payout structure of a comp?

The only google comp I found was top 5 for each cat. then the top 10 all cats got trophys. Along with GC and reserve champ got a big payout. Is this standard?

Looking to get into comps next year after getting another WSM or 2. Along with getting some training with teams under my belt.

Is top 5 for each cat standard for each event? Wife and I are looking into it. But hoping its at least top 5 or 10 per event not just the top spot.

I was kind of shocked to see such a top heavy payout were other sports that are payout structured pay a deeper pool.

All tho I guess if most comps have between 15-25 top 5 isnt to bad if top 10 also get trophys.

Just hoping even if you dont recoop all your buyin at least you have a shot at getting some cash to off set expenses.

I see how this sport can get expensive. Even more expensive then golf and my wife made me give that up beyond friendly rounds with friends LOL.

Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.

Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.

DITTO :lol:

As far a payouts goes, I really depends on the size of the field and the policy of the organizer.
For many events, it is just as you described--top 5 per catagory and GC/RGC with a better payday. That is because it is much harder to cook well in all 4 catagories.
Larger events may pay to 10th or deeper and maybe the top 5 or so overall. Many events are well over 50 teams and run up to several hundred for the "biggies".

I will tell you this--if you can not afford to compete with ZERO winnings, you will not be able to compete for very long.
And, it takes a lot of time, contests, skill, luck, and the proper phases of the moon to place well consistantly.
At the 4 year mark, we are happy to get ANYTHING to help offset, even $50 helps and is hard to win at many events. :oops:

I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to understand the realities of competing.
Best hobby I ever had, bar none!

Welcome to the site.

TIM

I agree with Sled, most I have seen payout at least the top 5. One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs. :lol:

I guess my post came off wrong. Not looking to make money off competing. Just thought like other sports the payouts would be deeper to help off set some of the cost. Bar B-Q comps pretty expesive to enter. I have read enough over the last few months to notice that hehe.
I love to Bar B-Q and love competing so seems like a good match.
Was just trying to see how deep the payouts were in a typical event.
I realise 3k-10k in prize pool for most of the average stops isnt going to pay enough. to even break even. Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses. Golf I spent 10s of thousands with no real chance of making a tour. Before I started playing jsut for fun.

Thank you for your time. I will go back to my hole now

One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs. :lol:

LMAO!!! :-D:-D Now thats funny! And true!

Go to www.kcbs.us and look at some competitions in your area to get an idea of the payouts. Each comp is a little different. We've cooked two so far this year and one paid out to 10th place in all categories and overall and the other paid to 5th place in all categories and overall.

If your wife made you quit golf you ain't gotta prayer in bbq comps.

Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

We would like recognition to at least 5 places as well.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Should there not a payout to 5 places, talk to your Reps and Organizer.
Yours in Q

Merl

Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

We would like recognition to at least 5 places as well.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Should there not a payout to 5 places, talk to your Reps and Organizer.
Yours in Q

Merl

Good point, Merl... We are considering going to Grand Rapids, MI for the Taste of Grand Rapids competition but I noticed that the payout is only the top three in each category based on the entry form. Since you and Carol are the reps, have they changed this and just not updated the form?

Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses.

Your best bet might contact the promoters in your area and convince them to do People's Choice/Public Sampling at their contests. That way, everyone leaves with a little cash. Otherwise, go to a contest to cook and have fun. If you win a little something, it's a bonus and you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth (unless you made some really bad BBQ:biggrin:).

When we took 3rd in chicken at this contest back in 2002?
The payout for chicken that year was $100.00 dollars.
Wonder if there are less sponsors this year due to our horrible economy?

Not much money comes in and a lot of money goes out. You are lucky if you can break even for the site and very few do that. I got a second in chicken at Berks last year and it did not cover the site. You can not do it for the money

Good point, Merl... We are considering going to Grand Rapids, MI for the Taste of Grand Rapids competition but I noticed that the payout is only the top three in each category based on the entry form. Since you and Carol are the reps, have they changed this and just not updated the form?
That's what it was last year as well. Hopefully Merl will chime in as he is the Rep. I didn't know about the top 5 must be paid or I would have said something last year. There was a time when they paid down to 10th if I remember right and 5th for sure.

I never knew this until after we finished 3rd overall at Yardley. 1500 for GC, 1000 for RGC and 0 for 3rd. I understand that everyone wants to do well in the individual categories and I think payouts to 5th in the categories is great (I'd be happy with payouts to 3rd), but isn't the overall ranking the real goal? I'm not complaining, we got 250 for our 2nd place chicken and I was thrilled with that but jeez they didn't even announce the top 5 overall. Just GC and RGC. We didn't even know we were 3rd until we got our sheets at the judges tent when we were leaving. Seems like a lot of work for no recognition. JMHO, not sour grapes. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again but..., I think anyone that swings a top 5 at a KCBS event has really done something worthwhile and should be able to share it with the rest of the winners.

I never knew this until after we finished 3rd overall at Yardley. 1500 for GC, 1000 for RGC and 0 for 3rd. I understand that everyone wants to do well in the individual categories and I think payouts to 5th in the categories is great (I'd be happy with payouts to 3rd), but isn't the overall ranking the real goal? I'm not complaining, we got 250 for our 2nd place chicken and I was thrilled with that but jeez they didn't even announce the top 5 overall. Just GC and RGC. We didn't even know we were 3rd until we got our sheets at the judges tent when we were leaving. Seems like a lot of work for no recognition. JMHO, not sour grapes. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again but..., I think anyone that swings a top 5 at a KCBS event has really done something worthwhile and should be able to share it with the rest of the winners.

I agree.. Same thing happened to me at Yardley last year. Got two calls which I got some cash for.. Ending up placing 3rd overall which did not win any cash. Funny part was I was more excited out coming in 3rd overall than getting the two calls in the categories.

I have no problem with the payouts per category to fifth, but I think overall payouts beyond GC/RGC make sense too.

Funny part was I was more excited out coming in 3rd overall than getting the two calls in the categories.
Same here. I'm in it for the overall. Anyone can have a good day in one cat or the next but the overall standing tells me more about how I measured up to the rest of the teams there.

I have no problem with the payouts per category to fifth, but I think overall payouts beyond GC/RGC make sense too.
I'd be happy with payouts through third in the cats and 5th overall. I guess your opinion on this depends on which you think is more important. Right now the payout scheme seems to place more importance on cat placements.

Last edited:
Back