My new boning knife

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I special ordered this boning from Ashi Hamono, a knife maker in Japan. Three months later it finally arrived. Today I gave it a test run by breaking down a couple cooked chickens and by trimming down a rack of spares into St. Louis. It performed admirably and I couldn't be more pleased.

For those that don't know about Japanese knives, this knife is called a wa-honesuki. The term "wa" indicates that it has a Japanese-style handle, "yo" would refer to a Western handle. "Honesuki" is the name given to Japanese boning knives. As you can see, the profile is very different from a Western boning knife; I prefer this style blade for breaking down chickens and other tasks.

The main reason why I had to special order this knife was I selected the steel. A honesuki from Ashi Hamono is typically made out of a special type of stainless steel called AEB-L, but I custom ordered this knife in white #2 carbon steel. It will rust if not properly cared for, but over time it will develop a natural patina which protects against rust. I went for the carbon steel for the edge it takes and the ease of sharpening. This knife also has a much better fit and finish over a standard Ashi Hamono blade, as the choil and spine have both been rounded and polished.

The handle is pretty typical of Japanese knives--magnolia wood with buffalo horn ferrule. However, the ferrule is usually made out of black buffalo horn as it is much more common, so it was a very pleasant surprise when I found the ferrule was made of blonde buffalo horn.

I custom ordered this knife through Jon and Sarah Broida at www.japaneseknifeimports.com The products on their site are mostly high end, so that may scare a few interested people away, but they are wonderful people to deal and are more interested in pairing you with the right knife than trying to make a sale. If you have any interest in Japanese cutlery I really recommend you email or call Jon and he will point you in the right direction.

I know some of you think it's crazy to get anything more expensive than a Forschner/Victorinox, but once you've used these knives you notice the difference immediately. YES you can tell a difference between a hand crafted Japanese knife over a Forschner or Wusthof. Is it actually worth it? Depends on your use. I personally find it very rewarding to work with something made by a craftsman in his prime, the quality just shines through. I blame my knife addiction on my grandfather, he got me hooked nearly 15 years ago by getting me my first pocket knife, a carbon steel Case. When Case switched to stainless steel he bought a few of them to save for his grandsons when they got older (2 of which weren't even born when he bought the knives). He taught me the benefits of carbon steel and how to care for it. I've been fascinated ever since and once I started cooking I started exploring options outside of those available at your local big box store and that lead me to the world of Japanese kitchen knives.

IMG_0022.jpg
\

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Looks great! There's nothing quite like a good knife.

Can never fault a man for liking/wanting a quality tool!

Last edited by a moderator:
That knife is VERY sexy! The blonde horn looks way better than what the black would look like. Nice...

VERY NICE! I've been singing the praises of Japanese steel for years, especially Japanese carbon steel. I have a modest collection of them myself. Folks, you've not experienced a truly sharp knife until you've used a Japanese kitchen knife.

Here's where I've gotten many of mine... http://www.japanesechefsknife.com

That's a gorgeously simple blade. Informative post - thanks!

Arlin

Love it!!

I've got a few carbon Case pocket knives too. My favorite is the Yellow Trapper, I told my wife I'd like to be buried with it in my pocket. Maybe she will remember!

Nice! Does it have the traditional one side ground edge? Or the western v-grind edge?

I've used Japanese knives for years and truly love and respect them.

While you have a beautiful knife there, one area where you need to be careful with is the wood handle and the bolster. The wood handle can host bacteria quite easily, especially when processing meat. You can wash it and treat it with beeswax or something similar to butcher block oil. The bigger issue is the bolster area. As you know there is a little cavity by the bolster (typical of Japanese knives) that can suck in all sorts of nasties. You gotta keep it clean. Hopefully yours has a nice tight fit.

Personally I prefer a closed bolster and more synthetic handles for my meat processing knives. But for a careful home chef, yours is truly a beautiful piece of work.

Nice! Does it have the traditional one side ground edge? Or the western v-grind edge?

At first glance it appears to have a traditional single bevel edge, but in reality the grind is closer to 95/5--so very close, but not quite a single bevel, but also not close to a western double bevel knife which is usually ground 50/50.

I've used Japanese knives for years and truly love and respect them.

While you have a beautiful knife there, one area where you need to be careful with is the wood handle and the bolster. The wood handle can host bacteria quite easily, especially when processing meat. You can wash it and treat it with beeswax or something similar to butcher block oil. The bigger issue is the bolster area. As you know there is a little cavity by the bolster (typical of Japanese knives) that can suck in all sorts of nasties. You gotta keep it clean. Hopefully yours has a nice tight fit.

Personally I prefer a closed bolster and more synthetic handles for my meat processing knives. But for a careful home chef, yours is truly a beautiful piece of work.

I totally agree! If I was working in a professional environment I would have went for the Western handle and stainless steel. I have a cheaper Western handle honesuki that I can use for high volume cooks. However, with a bit of extra care the bacteria issue won’t be a concern. I also made sure inspected the handle carefully upon arrival and found the blade to be fitted very tight with epoxy with no obvious cavities for bacteria to hide. Also, the wood has been stabilized and is more water proof and bacterie proof than a standard handle. With a cheaper knife this does become a concern as the handle usually isn’t installed very well and can be a breeding ground for bacteria.

I'm not skilled enough with knives to have any preferences formed, but I absolutely love the lines and angles of Japanese crafted knives.

What? No custom handle from Dave M. yet?

Nice new knife Kyle.

I hear the line is pretty long these days. I've got a few that he's worked, though I wasn't the original purchaser.

It's a nice upgrade for sure.

Very nice indeed. Beautiful, in fact! I am still plugging along with my cheaper knives that are probably low carbon steel and pretty soft. They need sharpening just about every time I use them.
You may just have pushed me over the edge....... I'm falling......

Thanks for the post.

Back