MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #6181
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
A Vikings theme? WOW. For this build you will need a ball valve that is brand new, but you can get for cheap because no-one else wants it and may not work that well. Or get one so old that someone else threw it away; it may work well at times, but it gets rusty and locks up on you when you need it. Random hardware may fail to work and fall off, especially during critical moments. You also have a Weber dome that works great, but no-one wants it there as they'd rather have an open air smoker.

The drum will perform admirably, even spectacularly for the first 3/4 of your cook, then it will become unreliable and fumble your ribs to the coal basket. You can pull them out, but it will be too late; you're meat is ruined and can't be fixed in time. Everyone will be upset with your cook, but even moreso due to it's excellent performance up to the point of failure.
lol.....Good One

Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #6182
moda253
On the road to being a farker

And still it's better than jsut about every other cooker out there.

Quote:
A Vikings theme? WOW. For this build you will need a ball valve that is brand new, but you can get for cheap because no-one else wants it and may not work that well. Or get one so old that someone else threw it away; it may work well at times, but it gets rusty and locks up on you when you need it. Random hardware may fail to work and fall off, especially during critical moments. You also have a Weber dome that works great, but no-one wants it there as they'd rather have an open air smoker.

The drum will perform admirably, even spectacularly for the first 3/4 of your cook, then it will become unreliable and fumble your ribs to the coal basket. You can pull them out, but it will be too late; you're meat is ruined and can't be fixed in time. Everyone will be upset with your cook, but even moreso due to it's excellent performance up to the point of failure.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #6183
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post
And still it's better than jsut about every other cooker out there.
I agree. I was mad enough to shake a baby when we gave New Orleans a pass to the Super Bowl but I still love my Vikings and we did better then 28 other teams.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #6184
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I agree. I was mad enough to shake a baby when we gave New Orleans a pass to the Super Bowl but I still love my Vikings and we did better then 28 other teams.

Thanks for the pass to the Super Bowl
Who Dat
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #6185
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Thanks for the pass to the Super Bowl
Who Dat
I respect you for acknowledging you didn't win that game and the Vikings gave you a pass.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #6186
moda253
On the road to being a farker

correction refs and the Vikings gave them the pass. Anyway this is going off topic. I jsut hope everyone else realizes that it is hard work to be a vikings fan. It should be respected that through all the heartache we still have a rabid and loyal fanbase. Saints fans above all else should realize what that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I respect you for acknowledging you didn't win that game and the Vikings gave you a pass.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #6187
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Back on topic guys:

See what these ugly things can cook!!!!!

But mine is not really too ugly:

Just sayin..............(above pic is with the Auspit and drum extender)
Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #6188
Gerritt
Got Wood.

anyone know where UDS parts/supplies can be found in Canada?? in particular the GTA area?
Gerritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #6189
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

First, get a drum, second, go to Home Depot. they will have everything that you need except 22.5" Weber cooking grates, they will order them for you. Ontario Gas BBQ in Vaughan may have them in stock.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #6190
Stef
Knows what a fatty is.

FYI, Home Depot had Weber replacement grates in stock in both of my local stores. It was still cheaper to order them from Amazon.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #6191
doctorsmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Go to this website for information about building an Ugly Drum Smoker.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5236478_build-drum-smoker.html

doctorsmoke
doctorsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #6192
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

That guy at ehow just took pix from this thread (specifically Norcos build) and put them into his own writeup. Thief. Give credit where credit is due, and all of the info to build a UDS is here at your fingertips. One just needs to read.

edit: after looking a second time, he does namedrop Norco and the Brethren, but a person could miss it. It's hard to put that build into that simple of a description, but he did a better job than the other ones that are there, I guess. I still say the info is all here; you just have to look.

Last edited by McGurk; 06-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: upon further inspection...
McGurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #6193
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
FYI, Home Depot had Weber replacement grates in stock in both of my local stores. It was still cheaper to order them from Amazon.
I'll bet they did, however, you don't live in a third world country where we don't enjoy that convenience.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #6194
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
That guy at ehow just took pix from this thread (specifically Norcos build) and put them into his own writeup. Thief. Give credit where criedit is due...
Actually he does for one image that I peeked at
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #6195
Stef
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
That guy at ehow just took pix from this thread (specifically Norcos build) and put them into his own writeup. Thief. Give credit where criedit is due, and all of the info to build a UDS is here at your fingertips. One just needs to read.
He gives credit to Norco on one of the photos and has a link back to the UDS mega thread at the bottom of the page.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker