• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Foiling Butts

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about wrapping butts in foil and if you do at what point do you wrap? I want to do pulled pork.

I never foil butts until they are done and going into a cooler for a rest. The only time I would consider this is if I was running short on time and wanted to speed up the cook some. To answer your question I would say anytime after 160* would be fine. Vince

I like to refrain from foiling until after hitting 195-200 then wrapping in foil and old towels to rest in an ice chest for an hour if I can. It makes the overall product leaner and quicker/easier to pull. Plus if you are cooking on a UDS or over coals, the fat rendering in the later stages of cooking adds a lot of smoke flavor when dripping on the fire basket (IMHO...) I also use a finishing sauce during pulling that contains cider vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, black pepper, white pepper, and cajun seasoning. This helps to further tenderize the pork after cooking. My family and friends love it.

I never foil butts until they are done and going into a cooler for a rest. The only time I would consider this is if I was running short on time and wanted to speed up the cook some. To answer your question I would say anytime after 160* would be fine. Vince

I agree

I foil at 195-200 and place the butt in a cooler and put towels/blanket around the butt to retain the heat for about 2 hours. Then I take it out still steaming hot and pull it apart & remove remaining residual fat and then pull the pieces by hand and add some of my favorite rub an either serve it or pack it up for the freezer.

I'm with Vince B. Try it unwrapped, then try it wrapped - see which you like best.

I prefer my butts naked.

I don't foil until the butts are off the fire and in the cooler to rest.

No foil on the butts here, I just put them on a sheet tray cover the whole tray with foil and let them rest in the oven (no heat).

Best advice is to try it both ways and see what you like. Personally I don't foil until it's ready to rest, unless time is getting short.

I foil at about 165 deg and add a little apple juice then take it to 195-200.

I've never done butts that way. Here's how I'd do that unless I was cooking more than two butts at once. I have a large roaster with a tight sealing lid that will hold two average size pork butts. I'd put the butt(s) on a rack in it, with a little apple juice in the bottom. Then put it in the oven and finish at 250-275°. That'd save $ on foil and the trouble of foiling two hot butts.

For competition, I foil when the bark looks exactly the way I want it, deep dark mahogany colored. The internal temperature is usually around 160 to 170 at this point.

At home, I like a darker, crustier bark so I only foil loosely after it comes off the cooker to rest.

Naked until about 170° internal then wrap and blast past the plateau until about 200°. I keep it in the cooler until its ready to pull, outstanding...no spritz, no juice, none needed.

For competition, I foil when the bark looks exactly the way I want it, deep dark mahogany colored. The internal temperature is usually around 160 to 170 at this point.

At home, I like a darker, crustier bark so I only foil loosely after it comes off the cooker to rest.

I was planning on trying a butt this week using this method but am concerned about adding some sort of liquid when I foil. I love a nice dark firm bark mixed throughout my pull and am afraid that by foiling and adding some apple juice mixture I will soften the bark. Thoughts?

I have always foiled. Smoke 3-4 hours turn it over smoke 3-4 more hours then foil cook for another 4 hours foiled. When I take them off the smoker and undo the foil the butts just fall apart. But, I never have tried not foiling.

I usually don't foil full sized butts.

With tenderloins, small roasts and no bone small butts, I do it most of the time to keep the cut from drying out in the time it takes to come up to pulling temp.

I wrap in stretch tight & place in the cooler to rest when it's done.

Back