Found some matches.
Reaction score
Finally finished and seasoned !!!

IMG_0060.jpg

minus the lid!

IMG_0061.jpg

just the one grate

IMG_0062.jpg

I used a brazier for the firebox, as i could only buy expanded steel in a huge sheet.. seemed to work ok on the seasoning burn. we'll see!:p

Good idea but right about clean-up time, you'll wish you had somthing to catch the ash.

Thanks all for the comments!!

Capt. Dave:Yeah i think there may be an ash issue, but will see after today.

Gary: Yeah, the charchoal we get here is a bit different to yours!

Smokemaster: No liner.

Oh and i love the chicken leg/wing holder i found at the bbq shop too!!!!

Fixa,are you sure there is no liner in there?
I'm not an expert but it looks like you do have liner,did you get it like that or did you do something with the inside?
And are those coco briquettes?
Nice drum BTW.

Nice drum. and I like the looks of your charcoal. Kingsford is one of my largest customers and I bet they'd like see some charcoal form across the pond!
JA

Fixa,are you sure there is no liner in there?
I'm not an expert but it looks like you do have liner,did you get it like that or did you do something with the inside?
And are those coco briquettes?
Nice drum BTW.

I agree with Phubar. I am definitely not an expert, but I know that some drums have the dreaded red liner (not yours) and some have a rust inhibitor liner. I imagine that if its not bare metal, its got to be lined with something (even a paint or something).

Not the best pics but the first one is whitout liner,the color that you see is a very thin layer of rust.
I've wirebrushed it but it was probably not needed.
The second pic is from a smaller barrel that had the same color (beige) liner as yours,you see that I've tried to wirebrush it but it was a too much PITA eventually.

Attachments

• GetAttachment 2.jpg
    GetAttachment 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 63
  • SP_A0697.jpg
    SP_A0697.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 63
  • SP_A0834.jpg
    SP_A0834.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
When you lean into it after cleaning it with soap and water, it should have Zero smell when you're down to pure carbon steel. If you have an odor on your drums interior , something is there.

Back