MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
cubs204
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Need Help with pricing

My buddy and I are doing our first competition (not KCBS) August 28th. We are allowed to vend while we are there. We just plan to sell pulled pork sammies with coleslaw and I just wanted to get feedback on what we should charge. I was thinking quarter lb. of meat per sandwich, cheap buns. So if Pork is $1.29/lb. I can assume 1/4 lb. cooked will roughly cost .65. Add .18 for the bun, apprx. .16 for charcoal and 15% profit goes to the event plus a $60 entry fee. So I am going to estimate on the high end for costs of supplies for the cooks say $1.50 per sandwich. How much would be fair to charge? There are 40 other teams that will be present as well, all probably serving the same things. I thought about possibly serving ABT's as well but that could be a PITA.
cubs204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Got your figures off a lil.

Your $1.29/lb butt will lose 50% of its weight during cooking making your finished product $2.58/lb.

Get your final costs and times it by 4 if you want any profit after giving up 15%.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

We sold $700 worth of food at our last comp at $4.00 a sandwich? Most of the meat was left over comp meat. Ribs $5.00 for 3 bones. Had water and pop for $1.00. We are doing it again at purr next comp but will bring loys of ribs from home. That is what we had the most requests for.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue bbq View Post
We sold $700 worth of food at our last comp at $4.00 a sandwich? Most of the meat was left over comp meat. Ribs $5.00 for 3 bones. Had water and pop for $1.00. We are doing it again at purr next comp but will bring loys of ribs from home. That is what we had the most requests for.
What are loys of ribs??
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

You should be able to get at least $5.00, may be even $6.00 for a good sized sandwich, especially if you have a 15% fee going back to the organizer.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

If everyone is selling PP I would think of something else, otherwise the cheapest guy on the block will get the business. Caterer's do this all the time to drum up future business by breaking even on these events to get their name out. I would look at doing ribs by cutting them to St. Louis, selling 3 for $5 and also selling rib tips.

I did a job at a winery last week that was a benefit so I gave out Moink Balls. The interesting thing was that a lot of people came up and told me that they were tired of going to events and having all the bbq guys doing PP and they wanted something else.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
cubs204
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks guys, will take all into consideration and let you all know how it turns out!
cubs204 is offline   Reply With Quote