Turkey frying question

Also, make sure you get a multi use pot. I believe that the bayou classic can be gotten with a basket in it. Ideal for doing crab boil or deep fried corn on the cob.

The only good thing those fryers are made for is frying Mountain Oysters and shrimp. And oh yes.......use watter to boil your lobsters in the things. You can also set a great big wok on the burner and get things hot enough to stir fry. A regular stove does not have the horse power to get a wok hot enough to do real stir fry. I also cannot believe anybody owns a smoker and has never smoked a turkey!!! The drum sticks are the best. One bite and you will forget all about fried turkey.

Saw the 30qt online but not the 36. I'll have to go by the store and look.

Smoked turkey drumsticks are quite wonderful, wayne. We are thinking of doing them for concessions next year.

Deep fried turkey is good , quick and simple.

We haven't cooked a turkey in the oven for about 6 years since the first ttime we fried one.

Definitely rub the bird first and then inject. We also use the Tony C's Creaol Butter to inject. AN I think doing it the night before and setting in the fridge is the best way to go.

ALso thanks to KC we now use the fryer to start all our chimneys for the smoker.

Have used the fryer for shrimp boils, deep frying chicken, won tons, fish,

Be very careful not to have this sitting on a wooden deck, the first time especially. You have to get the oil to bird ratio just right or you have instant deck fire on your hands. And will get to see how quickly your local fire department responds to your house. We usually Spread out some kitty litter on the concrete and then set up the fryer. Catches all the splatter. Or set up on the gravel driveway.

Will not be disapointed with the fryer and will have many uses! A must have!

Wayne said:
The drum sticks are the best. One bite and you will forget all about fried turkey.

I agree with Wayne. I prefer dark meat. I avoid white meat at all cost, chicken, turkey,, pork. I do not know why, but white meat may taste good, but it is like chewing on aunt flos cotton wade. I have a turkey fryer that is four years old, and only used once. It will be going in the garage sale next spring. Since I can smoke meat now without ruining it, that is the only way I will go now. That is what I like about this site, there is a wide variety of tastes.

I fry turkey parts all year. You can get drumsticks, thighs or breast. We like the thighs at my house. And with parts, it takes a whole lot less peanut oil.

Peanut oil is a must with the high flashpoint.

Also before the turkey prep, place in the empty pot. Fill with water until turkey is covered. Mark with a piece of tape. Take out bird and emty water. Dry out and fill with oil to tape level.

Slowly dip the bird a little at a time. I dip a little, then pull out, then dip a little more. Then slowly lower in.

Do this, and never have an oil overspill.

Make a wind block to keep from prolonged cooking times.

Enjoy the juiciest bird ever.

thillin said:
I fry turkey parts all year. You can get drumsticks, thighs or breast. We like the thighs at my house. And with parts, it takes a whole lot less peanut oil.

Peanut oil is a must with the high flashpoint.

Also before the turkey prep, place in the empty pot. Fill with water until turkey is covered. Mark with a piece of tape. Take out bird and emty water. Dry out and fill with oil to tape level.

Slowly dip the bird a little at a time. I dip a little, then pull out, then dip a little more. Then slowly lower in.

Do this, and never have an oil overspill.

Make a wind block to keep from prolonged cooking times.

Enjoy the juiciest bird ever.
Well said bro...frying turkey is
dangerous, or can be without observing a few tips like above.
Do what he said and you will not have a problem.
MikeG

SLOWLY lower that bird in there, or you'll have a surprise flash fire on your hands.

Bill;

That's a GREASE FIRE! A FLASH FIRE is when you light the burner, fill the pot with oil, and then go take a dump and the oil overheats -- that's a Flash Fire!!! Poof -- oh POOPIE, oh my!!

It's actually quite spectacular -- many restaurants have burned down due to flash fires in the deep vats!! :twisted:

I inject and put a rub on the turkey the night before I deep fry it, it has always turned out great.

Another use for the Turkey fryer (provided you have a clean pot) is to boil wort in it when you're making beer (house doesn't get all stunk up).

Mark with tape after you pull the bird out, not before. I had a friend do that and he had a massive overflow.

parrothead said:
Mark with tape after you pull the bird out, not before. I had a friend do that and he had a massive overflow.

Also best if bird is out of the wrapper.

Turkey has a large cavity which fills with oil. If you don't allow the water in there while measuring, you could end up with not enough oil in there for them bigger birds.

When the breast go on sale, get a couple. Slice into 1/4" medallions. Roll in a flour mix. Chicken fried turkey! We do this after turkey hunts. Great smothered with cream gravy.

I also do fish frys and seafood boils for large groups. Done shrimp, crawfish, dove, chicken parts, whole chickens, cornish hens & corn on the cob.

Couldn't live without it.

My original fryer is a cast iron washing pot. (witch's kettle). Holds about 5 gallons of oil with lots of room. Cut the top off a 50 gallon drum, and punch holes in the sides. Build a burner head that sits in the bottom with a pipe running along the ground and up to a propane tank.

My family has used these for 30yrs.

Back