Jerky-quick answers please!

SLCMACK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got the jerky on the smoker and temps are anywhere from 150-200. Any idea how long I should leave this on for. Thanks

well shieeet, trial and error I guess on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I don't worry about the temp I'm cooking at for jerky. Made it with temps as high as 275-300.
Being that it's thin sliced, it takes on smoke quickly. I go by the "dryness" of the jerky. Once it's at the desired dryness or jerkiness (if that's even a word), just pull it off. Higher temps will get it done faster.

Jerky really gets all of its flavor from the marinade, spices, etc that you used and a little from the smoke. The heat is just there to dry it out.

lol wish I would have saw this yesterday I burt a batch to a crisp after only 3hrs needless to say it was sliced to thin

Got the jerky on the smoker and temps are anywhere from 150-200. Any idea how long I should leave this on for. Thanks

4 to 6 hours. When checking for doneness put it in the fridge first to cool it.

When using the drum or WSM and running it hot, it can be done within an hour or so. When using my Lil Chief, (much lower temp) it will go 3+. Bottom line is, my kids can't wait 3+ hours when I make jerky, hence, I go with higher temps. The other bottom line is that if you have kids, they will EAT ALL of it faster than you can make it if you used high temp! That I guarantee.:becky:

Back