Inspired....roadside chicken question?

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Wolfe mans roadside chicken post reminded me that I need to do it again right? So...my question is about marinade time? I saw...I think Moose? Mention you could marinade WITHOUT the oil. Why is this? And what is the longest marinade time you would suggest? I will use apple cider instead of white vinegar as well. Im clear on the procedure and the recipe is tweeked for my liking a skootch....?:blah:

Wolfe mans roadside chicken post reminded me that I need to do it again right? So...my question is about marinade time? I saw...I think Moose? Mention you could marinade WITHOUT the oil. Why is this? And what is the longest marinade time you would suggest? I will use apple cider instead of white vinegar as well. Im clear on the procedure and the recipe is tweeked for my liking a skootch....?:blah:

I've never marinated roadside chicken before...just a light dusting of S&P before the chicken goes on the grill, then mop generously every 5 mins.

I've never marinated roadside chicken before...just a light dusting of S&P before the chicken goes on the grill, then mop generously every 5 mins.

O.k.. Thanks Moose. I will mop. But I thought someone....somewhere said if you left out the oil you could marinate 2-8 hours? Just though it might add MORE flaor profile? Thoughts anyone?

I use half and half vinegar and water. Overnight should not be a problem as long as you are keeping it cold.

I marinate mine with no oil in the marinade on the theory it will absorb better, then use oil in the mop.

I let mine soak over night,I make a double batch and save 1/2 to baste with. I've done it with out letting it marinate but it is much better if you do bigger flavor more juicy and real tender.

I seen the same post and got inspired too! I cooked mine last night after 10 hours in the fridge with oil. I didn't plan on waiting that long but something came up and I had to let them sit. The chicken turned out AWESOME!! Thanks again to wlof pac for the great post and now this will be my go-to for grilled chicken for a long time!!

Could someone put up a link to Wolf man's post for roadside chicken? I missed it but sounds like the chicken got raves. Thanks.

The reason for not marinading for longer than a couple of hours in the oil, vinegar and spice mix is that the acid in the vinegar will start to "cook" the chicken resulting in a less than stellar flavor.

2 - 3 hours max with a vinegar marinade.

Now if you are using a brine of salt, sugar, apple juice etc, then you can leave chicken overnight but again, I would not really stick a chicken in brine for longer than 3 - 4 hours either. It will get too salty.

Sometimes less is more with marinades and brines.

I try to rub with spices and leave it in the fridge till the next day.
The day of, I sometimes Marinade the birds while I'm firing up my Offset.
Sometimes I don't marinade at all.

Back