• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bourbon Honey Citrus Smoked Salmon

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
SmokedSalmon-s.jpg

I have been looking forward to smoking some fish for quite a while now. I picked up a nice looking salmon filet at Sam's Club yesterday.

I also wanted to incorporate some Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey into the recipe. The recipe I used in this video is based on one I found in the book "Slow Fire" by Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe.

Brine:

3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Marinate a 1.5 to 2 pound filet in this brine for one hour while your grill is warming up to 250 degrees.

When the brine is complete, drain the brine and pat the fish dry. Dust both sides with paprika and put it on the smoker at 250 degrees with your choice of medium to light intensity smoking wood (I used apple.)

Mix up your glaze:

3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey

When the fish is about ready (30 minutes or so), brush the glaze on the top of the salmon and remove it from the grill....

YouTube Video of this Cook

How did it taste? If that is a pic of your fish, it looks great.
I smoke salmon a lot, wild only as farm raised is too fat.
I dry brine mine, pickling or kosher salt, brown sugar and
after the rinse, I sprinkle some dill weed on it.

How did it taste? If that is a pic of your fish, it looks great.
I smoke salmon a lot, wild only as farm raised is too fat.
I dry brine mine, pickling or kosher salt, brown sugar and
after the rinse, I sprinkle some dill weed on it.

It tasted fantastic. That is a photo of my fish on the Kamado Joe. I don't have a source for wild salmon. This is one that I picked up at Sam's Club and its farm raised from Norway.

Great color and sounds delicious. Reminds me it's time to stop by and do a salmon run. It's the only fish my kids eat.
I was going to add some to my paella but they didn't have the nicest looking pieces left. Have to try your recipe sometime.

Back