brisket and cooler times

WabbitSwayer

Knows what a fatty is.
Thinking of doing a brisket for my son's birthday party after Christmas. Was thinking of having it done around noon then foil/cooler it until time to eat (probably late afternoon 3-4). Is there a maximum time that one could cooler without bad results (if I take the brisket to 180-190, foil and cooler)? Should I be ok with 3-4 hours (possibly 5 if it gets done ahead of time)?

If you preheat the cooler (use hot water and then dump and dry) and use plenty of towels or clean newspaper for insulation it should be just fine. If you are worried and have a thermometer with a remote probe (Maverick, trutemp or others) leave a probe in it and watch the temp. If it starts to get close to 140 you can toss it in the oven at 140 - 150 to keep it safe.

I just did mine this way. it was safe in the cooler for 5 hours. the meat was almost too hot to handle when I pulled it out and unwrapped it. I wrapped some sausage that I had smoked too and threw it in so that surely added to the temp inside the cooler. Wrap it well and use thick towels.

I cooler my briskets at 195 - 200 F. The first time I did that the brisket went in the cooler at 198 F. 3 hours later the temp only dropped to 165 F. My cooler is an old Rubbermaid with good insulation between the plastic. It is a smaller cooler...just big enough to fit a packer brisket on the bottom. I also place towels on top of the wrapped brisket. Besides extra insulation I think the towels also absorb any steam that is released, keeping water off the bottom of the cooler. I don't recommend Coleman coolers. At least the old ones anyway. They have little to no insulation at all. Now I cooler my briskets for at least 4 hours and no more than 6 hours (can't wait any longer, LOL). I don't bother to monitor the temps anymore. I know they always come out hot and good to go.

Back