• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Questions

K

KeithS

Greetings,
I own a small restaurant in Gordonsville, TN and I am thinking about purchasing a smoker and cooking some Memphis style ribs, brisket and shoulder. I started in the restaurant in Memphis where I was born, but actually have no experience using a outdoor pit. (I am looking at several). This will be a sideline for me. I sell Pizza's, have a full menu and a hot Bar as well. My questions are as follows:

A) When I smoke using a out door pit do you have to constantly watch over it?
B) If I choose to smoke meat Like ribs that take a long time, could it be left overnight?
C) Do most smokers, ie: barrel style on a trailer all do pretty well?
D) In looking for a pit, are there any basic things I need to look for?
E) What would be a good method for me?

I know there are a lot of different schools of thought on BBQ so be gentle with me:) (ie: boil ribs first, temps, basting ect..)

Any help or If you can direct me to threads that have good suggestions would be greatly appreicated. I hope this is not too much to throw out all at once. I have been in the restaurant biz my entire adult life (25 yrs) and have been successful. I do have a knack for working with food and procedures ect.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Keith Sciara

A) When I smoke using a out door pit do you have to constantly watch over it?
That depends on the cooker. Offsets generally require refueling and some intake adjustments while you cook. Verticals usually can go a very long time without refueling and hold steady temps over that period. What kind of cookers are you looking at, and how much attention are you willing to give? Woudl you prefer a set-it-and-forget it kind of cooker?

B) If I choose to smoke meat Like ribs that take a long time, could it be left overnight?
Pork ribs shouldn't take any more than 8 hours.

C) Do most smokers, ie: barrel style on a trailer all do pretty well?
That depends on what you want it to do really. You have to adapt to each cooker, and once you do you can operate them rather well. The ones that are easiest to use generally have the more satisfied owners.

D) In looking for a pit, are there any basic things I need to look for?
At a minimum, make sure the steel is not too thin, and look for one that is less prone to air leakage. Outside of that, it really depends on how you want to cook, i.e., how much attention you want to give it, and what kind of fuel you wish to use.

E) What would be a good method for me?
Method for what? Fire management, cooking ribs, butts, brisket?

What's you're budget ?

How much capacity do you need ?

Not sure if you have to keep it outdoors, or have access to power but consider an FEC or Cookshack too (thermostat controlled).. J&R and Southern Pride Old Hickory are the manufacturers of choice for many full time BBQ joints.. wood burning with gas assist options

The best advice i can give you is to contact Amy Mills at 17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro Il., She is now providing consulting to BBQ joints and has in the past offered hands on classes for starting and running a BBQ Restaurant. I think its called onque consulting. Good Luck in your adventure

My advice would be to not work into the bbq business backwards.

You have experience in the resturant business that most of us can't appreciate because we have never had that tiger by the tail so to speak.

Learn to make the best bbq that you can.

From there then the general public can enjoy your bbq while you have the opportunity to test new rubs, sauces and techniques and fire management on a daily basis.

I don't get to do that. My only option is to give it to the neighbors.

I know there are a lot of different schools of thought on BBQ so be gentle with me:) (ie: boil ribs first, temps, basting ect..)

Keith Sciara

I will let others answer your main questions. But I have to wonder about your quote above? Not sure if you joking about boiling ribs or not. If you want to be good then don't boil ribs takes the flavor out of the meat.

While each type of smoker is different, I've found that most catering and restaurants seem to prefer a cabinet style.

I think I would recommend finding some one local that after you determine the smoker you are going to purchase that could help you along with the actual cooking. While it's not all that difficult (heck, even I can do it) I think it would be best to have some body on site that could teach you the finer points rather than having to go through the learning curve by yourself.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input. I will continue to use this as a great source for my new adventure forth coming...

I looked at a pit on wheels today. Home made job. About 3x5 cooking area. The smoker itself is made of a 1/8" steel (isn't that a little thin?) cylinder. Nice grates. The firebox it actually the back side of the barrel. They welded a plate about 1/3 of the way down the inside of the barrel and drilled through for the smoke to come into the main smoking chamber. Seemed to be a little strange in design. Nice and sturdy though. He wants $1000.00
I am going to look at one tomorrow that is made of a stainless steel tank from Purity Dairies. About the same cooking area, brand new never used. A gentleman and his friend build them. He wants $1500.00 for it. I will snap some pics with my phone and post.
BTW, how would you go about seasoning a new rig like this?

G'Night and thanks to all,

Keith

more info

I am planing to take orders and cook maybe once or twice a week. I am at the restaurant about 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. I am sure I can do most of the smoking and manage the fire and temp ect. I plan on having the pit right outside the back of the restaurant. What takes the longest to cook (brisket, shoulder rib ect) in a outside pit the size that I am looking at? How often to have to manage the fire and baste ect during a 10-12 hour day?

If you are considering a specific type... have you checked out nearby competitions? You will see a great variety of smokers... large and small, wood-fired, charcoal, or wood pellet fed... horizontal/vertical, and cabinet smokers... just to list a few.

I'm sure you will find many answers... based on your needs... size, time, fuel, and fire management

There's a BBQ competition this weekend:
http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=06&id=1582

I am planing to take orders and cook maybe once or twice a week. I am at the restaurant about 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. I am sure I can do most of the smoking and manage the fire and temp ect. I plan on having the pit right outside the back of the restaurant. What takes the longest to cook (brisket, shoulder rib ect) in a outside pit the size that I am looking at? How often to have to manage the fire and baste ect during a 10-12 hour day?

It seems your budget is around the $1500 range, outdoor pit etc.. At that price, you will not really find a stickburner that will manage itself without attention every hour..

Briskets and Butts will take the longest too cook.. About 10-12 hrs if you're cooking a temp around 225.. Ribs will take 4-6 hrs depending on which type (spares or babyback) also around 225 deg.. You can save some time if temps are a bit higher but not too much.

You really don't want to baste or open the pit and peek. You'll loose heat. you can get away with a quick mop or spritz a few times if you really feel it will improve the flavor but in a restaurant setting, this is less likely to happen as it different trimmings techniques you may ready about here.

Also.. be prepared for rain or cold weather if that exists in your area. It can be a factor in pit temps and time needed to regulate.

If you don't expect large volume... may just want to consider one or two 22" Weber Smokey Mountain cookers.. Charcoal and wood chunk as the heat source and rather simple to manage compared to a traditional offset.

Back