MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #8176
worknomore
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesninja View Post
I'm building my first UDS next week and I see a few designs with a Heat Diffuser and Water pan between the firebox and the cooking great, but most designs do not. Is this just personal necessary or personal preference?
I am wondering the same thing. I have seen the diffusion plates but I don't' know if anyone has used them with success at keeping the temps within 5-10 degrees for example. I have my UDS done, but what exactly does a water pan do for the meat and is it worth the trouble of installing one?
By the way, my first cookout with my completed UDS turned out the best tri-tip I have ever had. Thanks for the tips everyone.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #8177
edog
Found some matches.

Default Uds v1.0

UDS V1.0
First UDS build and first full use went very well. Thanks to all the brethren for the tips used to build and cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 001.jpg (80.0 KB, 972 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 002.jpg (48.2 KB, 972 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 004.jpg (61.4 KB, 972 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 005.jpg (70.8 KB, 969 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 006.jpg (32.6 KB, 964 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 007.jpg (49.2 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 009.jpg (68.0 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 010.jpg (70.4 KB, 967 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 011.jpg (60.3 KB, 971 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 012.jpg (70.9 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg UDS V1.0 013.jpg (64.6 KB, 971 views)
edog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #8178
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

of interest, on The Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations this morning, he was with a group of Bedouin's in the western Egyptian desert. For dinner, they dry rubbed a whole goat, wrapped him in foil, put a fire in the bottom of a 55 gallon drum, put the goat on the grate and buried the drum in the sand.

The UDS is famous world wide.

Looking forward to first 'real' cook on mine in the AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #8179
desert80
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigwacker View Post
Desert80, I like your hinges and was wondering if those were homemade or something you bought. Could you post a close up them??

thanks
Here's the hinges. they came with the cheap bbq that was previously destroyed. All I had to do was buy longer bolts with extra nuts and washers so the lid would fit correctly. The hinges now have a lot of adjustment so the lid fits perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-03_14-38-16_956.jpg (153.6 KB, 942 views)
desert80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #8180
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
I got them on eBay for like $20, they have a 2.5"'probe
2.5" isn't gonna get you an accurate reading under cooking grate, the probe should be 8 to 12" long so it's closer to center of cooking area. If you're not using a diffuser, I'd add 50 degrees to your reading out there on the edge.

Nice looking UDS other than that little nitpickey point :)

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #8181
SkinnyVinny

Well I think I finally figured out what the problem was (cigarette ashtray taste)

The holes in my steel grate I used for the bottom of my fire basket is too small. I believe what is happening is that the ash from the coals aren't falling through. Thus my clean smoke at the beginning becomes the thick smoke, and my fire gets put out, causing my temp to drop. I temporarily fixed this by just shaking the whole drum every hour or so

Anyways, did some side ribs, and they turned out a whole lot better. Way better than the first few times. Now i'll have to either snip or grind off some of the expanded metals so the ash can fall more easily.

thanks for all the help!
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #8182
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesninja
I'm building my first UDS next week and I see a few designs with a Heat Diffuser and Water pan between the firebox and the cooking great, but most designs do not. Is this just personal necessary or personal preference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknomore View Post
I am wondering the same thing. I have seen the diffusion plates but I don't' know if anyone has used them with success at keeping the temps within 5-10 degrees for example. I have my UDS done, but what exactly does a water pan do for the meat and is it worth the trouble of installing one?
By the way, my first cookout with my completed UDS turned out the best tri-tip I have ever had. Thanks for the tips everyone.
It's really easy to do, and it depends on how you want to cook, how much are you cooking, and what you're cooking. If you just drill holes for some bolts down low, like some 6 inches higher than your fire basket. Same as you would have done for your cooking grate. The easiest thing to do, is use another cooking grate to put down low, and something on it. The best is to have something that sort of shields the food above, but allows the meaty goodness juices to drip and still make it into the fire. You could use a cheap aluminum tray and punch some holes in it.

If you're smoking a whole chicken, you may want to actually place the chicken right on the grate down low, no drip pan. That will make the skin nice and crispy. Would only take 1-2 hours. Should be like 350 degrees down there.

If you're cooking a lot of stuff like a couple shoulders, some brats, fatty, etc.. then you'd want it up high, but you may want something to diffuse the heat so that it more evenly cooks around the edges.

If you'd like to smoke something at 275 or higher temp, you may consider something to diffuse if you don't want the bottom of the food to get grilled.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #8183
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
UDS V1.0
First UDS build and first full use went very well. Thanks to all the brethren for the tips used to build and cook.
How difficult was it to put the weber grill charcoal piece on the bottom of your UDS?
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #8184
Bubblehead
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico4missions View Post
Tell me what ya think!
Not a Raiders fan but that's a pretty cool drum!!!
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #8185
chico4missions
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Not a Raiders fan but that's a pretty cool drum!!!
Agreed! It was pretty hard to me to put that logo on it, but hey, what are friend's for right?! I was able to surprise him with it this weekend. He was speechless!... mainly because the Ribs we smoked on it were amazing!

Last edited by chico4missions; 07-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: addition
chico4missions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #8186
USBLUES
Found some matches.

One quick tip for the UDS is oil those pipe nipples with something, I had an awesome first cook and got ready for the second, cleaned her out, made some tweaks, room tempt the meat, it was going to be the first orderely organized/civilized cook, I wasn't going to be behind the eightball again, was all set to open her up and the nipps were rusted solid, now i had to climb back into this godforsakin thing, which wasn't fun the first time, and this time it was full of stinky grease an ash, so oil those nipps!
USBLUES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #8187
Roby

Hey guy's, I got a quick question, I would never think of this as I just don't know if it will work but i got a local dealer with drums that have held acetone. Well unfortunatly he barely ever gets food grade drums I told him what i was going to do with these drums and he informed me of people buying the drums that held acetone and still using them for bbq. Is it just me or is that crazy? Or can you wash it out real good and get a realll hot burn and acctually make a drum that held acetone safe for bbq?

Roby
Roby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #8188
byounghusband
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default FINALLY!!!! Built my (F)UDS

Well after considering building one and getting 1/2 the materials needed, I finally got it all together and finished my (F)UDS.

Several months ago, I got the drums and ground and burned the junk that used to be in them (Spray-In Bed Liner Part "B") and bought the hardware.
Then last week, got the parts for the Charcoal Basket. Nothing but a little time and sweat (HOT IN TEXAS) and here it is!!

I rubbed it down with Lard and set it going for about 6 hours for a Seaoning burn. I got it up to around 300 for an hour or two and then backed it down to 225. It stays there perfectly!!!

On Monday, I did a Pork Shoulder. Set it on at 8:30 am at 225*. Minor temp fluctuations and a little experimenting throughout the day. Nothing like the old ECB though....

I took it off around 10:30 PM.

During one experiment, I left one of the caps off and forgot about it when I took the meat off that night. I closed everything up, or so I thought. Next morning, around 9:00 am, it was still sitting right at 225*.

24 hours at 225*? That is cool!! Love this smoker.

Thanks for all the tips and instructions. Yes, I read them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is one (F)UDS and you will understand the (F).

First Pic -Seasoning up - Ain't it (F)UGLY?????
Second Pic - Basket after Seasoning Burn
Third pic - loaded and ready for the meat
Fourth Pic - Seasoned
Fifth Pic - Results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7010029.jpg (39.7 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg P7040031.JPG (64.7 KB, 772 views)
File Type: jpg P7040032.JPG (64.0 KB, 772 views)
File Type: jpg P7040033.jpg (46.6 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg P7050034.JPG (64.5 KB, 773 views)

Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #8189
CenTech

That's awesome. That really puts the U in UDS. And I mean that in a good way.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #8190
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBLUES View Post
One quick tip for the UDS is oil those pipe nipples with something, I had an awesome first cook and got ready for the second, cleaned her out, made some tweaks, room tempt the meat, it was going to be the first orderely organized/civilized cook, I wasn't going to be behind the eightball again, was all set to open her up and the nipps were rusted solid, now i had to climb back into this godforsakin thing, which wasn't fun the first time, and this time it was full of stinky grease an ash, so oil those nipps!

Nothing worse than rusty nipples. Glad ya cleaned 'em before ya got a bad after taste.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker