MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm constantly throwing hissy fits when the term bbq is used loosely.
throwing bbq sauce or a sauce on something warmed up in the oven is not bbq. yet you see many if not most of the celebrity cooks doing this.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
The United States, and the Americas in general have a long tradition of cooking outside. I lean toward BBQ stemming from the word barbacoa and it is surely most closely related to our traditional low and slow cooks.

"Having a Barbacue" has popularly included any sort of outdoor cooking, including actually serving a clam bake, for the better part of 50 years. Aussie's have long hated the term "throw another shrimp on the barbie" as well.

We've certainly experienced a renaissance of low and slow cooking over the last 15 years both in the kitchen and outside. I won't judge the process of anyone who's taken the time and energy to consistently turn out a good product. I also don't know that I feel people avoid reasonable innovation are doing any more important work than people who dress up as the pilgrims. Remember, even the stick burner was a revolutionary change at one point. Do what makes you happy and some people will find enjoyment in it!

My dad and I make lasagna. Every time either of us make it we are showered in compliments. But, the only opinion we actually care about is eachothers. We judge them harder than anyone is paying attention. We all share cooks on here for a similar reason - a lot of people we feed don't understand.

A movement like the one we are experiencing will have purists and revolutionaries.. With good product I think they both have room to be appreciated. For now, the fact remains, most people can invite friends over for a bbq ... serve them electric grilled hot dogs on a picnic table and all is well with their world.
I just kinda scanned the posts and was wondering when barbacoa would be mentioned.
It has always been my understanding that BBQ was introduced to the US by the Barbary coast pirates and the term meant "tail to snout" IIRC

No grilling is not barbeque it's grilling. To be honest I'm not sure smoking is either

Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
RL Reeves Jr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I give kudos to folks like Boshizzle and Pitmaster T, who have done actual research and brought forth the documentation, at least recorded it, to help maintain these traditions and histories. I suspect, it sounds like there are others, such as R L Reeves Jr. doing the same. In the end, that is going to be a key aspect of maintaining our history and what we like to think of as BBQ.
Thanks, yep, the Texas traditions, while still strong, are being chipped away at; primarily the handmade sausage is vanishing. A lot of the celebrated joints are "bringing it in", doesn't mean it's not good but they're weighing the cost ($15 hr) vs calling a local factory and making their business decisions thusly.

I started writing about Texas (and KY and Alabama) bbq in '91 and there's been a seismic shift since those halcyon days.
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote