MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Question Vertical, Gravity Feed Smokers

I'm looking to purchase a mid-size vertical gravity feed in the near future.

Of the major brands is there any that are a consensus best?

Stumps, rebel, backwoods, etc? Currently I think I'm leaning towards Stumps XL Baby.

Any advice or any used ones for sale?
Friscoag is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the Superior SS-Two on Superior Smokers facebook page! It has 3 23" X 23" racks.
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

That's about the size I'm looking for. You know the price?

What about wood? Do you put in wood chunks in with the charcoal? Sorry for the questions, never used one of these before.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Can't offer any advice, but I have had my GF223 for almost 6 years. It is showing it's age a bit, but it is still my favorite smoker out of any I have owned.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
TRS
On the road to being a farker

This question comes up about once a month.
Do a search on the cookers you are interested in and I am sure you will find all the info you need. Rebel, Superior and Assasin smokers are all made by the same shop. Different names and options.

All are great smokers and have their attributes. All depends on your usage, price, size requirements, options, cooking method, etc. I know BWS and Stump's have forums with Buy/Sell features as well as this site if you are looking for a used one.

Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

So as I keep looking, I am now thinking about transporting...These all seem pretty heavy. When I look at "The Party" from Backwoods, it actually has a little more cooking area and is only 130 pounds. I wouldn't be using a trailer, I'd need to use a ramp and get them in my truck. 130 pounds sounds a lot better than 400.

Thoughts on "The Party"? On the Backwoods site it says cook temp is 200-250, does this mean you can't cook higher than 250? Surely not

Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

All the info you need is in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150819

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post

Thoughts on "The Party"? On the Backwoods site it says cook temp is 200-250, does this mean you can't cook higher than 250? Surely not
The Party is great, but remember the Party is not a gravity feed. Higher cook temps on the Party can go higher than 250, just ask anyone who has accidentally run their water pan dry.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
So as I keep looking, I am now thinking about transporting...These all seem pretty heavy.

Backwoods are lighter than the other cabinets, but they are not gravity fed. So long as a cooker is stingy on fuel, who needs gravity feed. And yes, you can run them higher than 250 with ease, or even hot and fast.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes, I understand they aren't gravity fed, but after thinking about it, I gotta be able to get it in and out of my truck, so the extended party is looking like the direction i'm headed as of now.

I cook a lot at 275-325 so I need to make sure I can do that pretty easily. I do use the cyberq wifi, so that will help.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
BigDaddyJT
Full Fledged Farker

If pit/cooker weight is a primary concern, then any of the Stumps Verticals will be a chore to load and unload out of your truck. They are GREAT cookers and cook lights out!! But they are on the heavy side. Good luck on your decision.
BigDaddyJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Friscoag
I have two backwoods, one party and one extended party. You can run them low, you can run them hot. If you are cooking at 245 or lower, use the water pan and it's awesome. I personally have found if you run higher temps 245-285, go buy some fire bricks from Menards, cut them the size of the inside of the water pan, and cover it with aluminum foil (easy clean-up). This helps hold a more steady temp and uses less charcoal. I also built this for my Backwoods to control how much charcoal catches on fire and how fast. It's not perfect with higher temps because the embers jump across, but still does allow me 10 hours on a cook.

Attachment 74638

Also, when doing some comps, this just CAREFULLY goes in the back of our Ford Escape with just me and a sheet of 2' x 4' piece of plywood. Place towel over the bumper, lean it back, pick up the bottom of the plywood and smoker, and slide in.

Last edited by cmohr74; 08-03-2017 at 10:36 AM..
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I love my assassin, but it would take a major effort to load it in the back of a truck. It takes 3 people to get it on and off my trailer safely.