MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default High Heat Brisket Flat & Boston Butt on my WSM

I picked up a 7# trimmed flat at HEB on my way home last night along with a 8.6# Boston Butt. I lightly dusted the Brisket with TexasBBQRub before I went to bed and put it in the fridge. This morning I got up and gave the brisket a good rub of TexasBBQRub Brisket Blend. I slathered some mustard on the butt and coated it with Brisket Blend too. I filled the charcoal ring on the WSM with B&B oak lump and lit a full chimney to get the show started.

The brisket (it's a little more trimmed than I think optimal it but very flexible, like I have any idea what I'm talking about):

Light Dusting of Rub:

Fired up the WSM (a couple of hickory chunks and some apple chips around the perimeter):

I started the WSM with the vents wide open and put the meat on with the grill cold. The butt is in a pan on the top rack. The brisket is on the second rack. No water in the pan, just foil. The smoker came up to temp pretty quickly.

A quick summary of the early temperatures:

Lid Gauge/2nd Rack of WSM/Brisket Internal
0745: assembled smoker
0800: 275/205/65
0810: 340/275/91
0840: 305/282/141
0900: 305/297/156

I plan on foiling when the brisket hits 170ish and letting it go until probe tender. I will finish it out of the foil for 30m to try and firm up the exterior. I'm going to do the same when the butt hit 190-200. I'll let them rest this afternoon and slice them later. I'm cooking them for the freezer so we can make some quick dinners for the kids and ourselved during the week.

I'll follow up with some more photos as this progresses.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very nice. I started high heat briskie, and never looked back.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good.

You are going to have to add fuel in about 6-7 hours.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default --live action update--

The brisket got to 170 at around 2 hours. I pulled the brisket and the butt and foiled the brisket. I switched the temp probe to the butt and will follow up on the brisket in another two hours.

Brisket at two hours, 170ish internal temp:

The butt in standby mode waiting to get back on the smoker.

Update on the temp chart:

RACK PROBE/MEAT INTERNAL/LID INTERNAL
0745: Assembled Grill
0800: 205/65/275
0810: 275/91/340
0840: 282/141/305
0900: 297/156/305
0930: 304/173/315
0950: 309/137/305 (Probe switched to pork butt)
1025: 317/153/310

I plan on foiling the butt at 160ish. Looks like it will hit right around 3h. I'll start probing the brisket around hour 4. More to come.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848

Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
gtsum
Babbling Farker

looking good! I have to be honest, I have never cooked in a pan before...what are the differences when you cook it in the pan?? I assume you cook it fat side down?
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking cook!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I have never cooked in a pan either. I read about high heat methods and have combined what I read from many on the forum plus a recipe from kicka**bbq.com. We'll see how it results.

I have it in the pan fat side down. I just foiled the pan at 160, the meat is starting to pull away from the bone nicely. I plan to leave it on for another two hours or until it hits 190ish.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm all over the HH Brisket cooks, the Pork- still not sure I'm feelin' it yet. I like the sliced butt results I've gotten though. I do like the TexasBBQrub on my eatin' briskets. A lot of times Choice packers are hard to come by and the trimmed Costco flats turn out pretty damn good using the HH.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome meat it's gonna be
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

High Q, That meat looks very tasty. I hope you save me a piece :P
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
bigabyte

Flat huh? Looks like a packer to me, but oh well, could just be the pic. It's looking good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: High Heat Brisket Flat & Boston Butt on my WSM

At 7# trimmed, I just assumed it was a flat, also because of the thickness. Now that I've sliced it, I'm not so sure. Photos to follow.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looking great
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
deguerre

Nice progress.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
suprfast
Take a breath!

how much charcoal do you use on your WSM. I guess i need to ask UDS users the same for high heat. Huge difference between 225-250 and 325-350 in terms of consumption. I would love to try a high heat brisket soon.
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote