Tasting Question

Tastings are freebies. Part of trying to get the job!

I know that, what I am saying is that for a price range of $12-$16 pp for catering 50 -75 people there is not a lot of profit in there to spend an additional 12-14 hours cooking BBQ for a tasting to try and get the job.

Now if you are talking 300 people for a wedding at $20-$25 pp I can see your point in cooking them a tasting session to get the job.

It overhead, part of the cost of doing business. But it's also one of the things that a pro does that sets themselves apart from the amateurs and wannabees.

BBS mentioned the wine, can you use the tasting to perhaps offer samples of additional/upgrade sides or desserts?

Who knows who else they may refer you to?

Chris

I know that, what I am saying is that for a price range of $12-$16 pp for catering 50 -75 people there is not a lot of profit in there to spend an additional 12-14 hours cooking BBQ for a tasting to try and get the job.

Now if you are talking 300 people for a wedding at $20-$25 pp I can see your point in cooking them a tasting session to get the job.

Exactly. You don't do tastings for small gatherings, unless their big dollar jobs. :biggrin:

Exactly. You don't do tastings for small gatherings, unless their big dollar jobs. :biggrin:

Very true this is actually my first one most have just taken the recommendations of what other people have told them or they have just tried my normal menu items at the vending site.

Maybe not, if you are only looking at the job at hand.

But, if you land the job, then you are now giving 50-75 potential customers a tasting at someone else's expense. :wink:

Maybe not, if you are only looking at the job at hand.

But, if you land the job, then you are now giving 50-75 potential customers a tasting at someone else's expense. :wink:

True dat! I do tastings for weddings of 75 as well. And, if a 14 hour cook is required, I do that too. Get a UDS, WSM, Pellet pooper (cannot believe I said that :tongue: ) for those small long cooks.

All the aforementioned comes with doing weddings. Catering weddings ain't for everyone, but it can pay well, if you get a positive reputation developed.

YMMV

Your pricing bewilders me. Perhaps you just threw some numbers together, but price per person typically goes down when the number of people goes up for the same job. I would say $20-$25 pp for a 50-75 job and $15-$20 for 300 pp job. It will take you the same amount of time to cook five briskets as it would to cook 20. So the price per person (for your time alone) is decreased. Other variables are included, but that's how I factor pricing a job.

You guys are the pro's so if you say do tastings then I will do tastings. But if I am going to spend $75 and prep/cook 14 hours for a couple to have a tasting then I am going to spend another $100-$200 or so and invite 50-100 more potential clients to have a taste also. :wink:

Some of us do tastings, like i said, usually for larger parties. If someone wants a tasting for 40 people for pulled pork, their looking for a free meal.
Most of my jobs come word of mouth (the customers know my food is excellent) or we've been recommended so tastings aren't needed.
Keep some PP and brisket in the freezer and if someone requires a sample, your set. :wink:

Just saw your vending trailer thread.

If your vending, your doing tastings everyday! :cool:

Back