MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Instant Pot-Deal of the Day

Instant pot DOTD on Amazon. You can Use BBQ Brethren Amazon Affiliate to link to Amazon purchases

Instant Pot LUX80 8 Qt 6-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VCMK97..._zaRZDbW6TGDT4
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That is a great price!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

Thanks! I just nabbed one. been wanting one for a long time.
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
NoNotTheDuo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That is a great price!
This is the best price that Amazon has ever had on this particular item!
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B071VCMK97
NoNotTheDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Tell me something fellas...my wife wants one of these, but I keep hearing the stories about them blowing up. Her cousin had one blow up on her, and I don't want to put my wife or my 1 1/2 year old daughter in harms way. My wife is very forgetful, so what are your thoughts?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

There is a bit of learning curve to using a pressure cooker. I still don't trust my wife or adult daughter to use a pressure cooker. But, that's just them because they tend to get a glazed look in their eyes when I've tried to explain to them how to make sure all the pressure is released before opening. I don't trust them, so in our house, I'm in charge of opening the lid on our Instant Pots (we have 2).

With that said, these are pressure cookers and they can be dangerous if one tries to open it while still under pressure. I've used various brands of pressure cookers for over 25 years prior to the "Instant Pot" and all modern pressure cookers have various safety features built in. Stories of a pressure cooker blowing up are typically stories that have been passed down from somebody's great grandmother when pressure cookers were dangerous. I find it difficult to believe that any modern pressure cooker made by a reputable company would "explode" without some type of user error - usually someone trying to open when still under pressure. I'm not saying it's impossible for one to explode on its own, but based on my 25+ years of using pressure cookers, I think it's very unlikely.

I believe "Instant Pots" (not to be confused with other branded pressure cookers) are very safe if used properly and properly maintained. The "Instant Pot" brand is a good brand that I've found to stand behind their products. We have 2 instant pots in our house and we use them weekly in our house with no worries. I suggest you do some research on the safety and also make sure your wife is willing (unlike mine) to learn how to safely operate one of these.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Tell me something fellas...my wife wants one of these, but I keep hearing the stories about them blowing up. Her cousin had one blow up on her, and I don't want to put my wife or my 1 1/2 year old daughter in harms way. My wife is very forgetful, so what are your thoughts?
From the videos online it would seem the lid lock does not always engage when building pressure. This may be from the user not turning the lid all the way clockwise. Its a pressure cooker and it can have failures! I will still use mine it makes great stews!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
KevinInStL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Just a heads-up: this one is the biggest 8 qt size, and is probably bigger than most people need most of the time. Unless you have a family of more than 4, I'd probably recommend the 6qt. Just my 2 cents

But I agree, they are awesome for making crock pot type recipes in a fraction of the time. And that DotD is a great price.

Last edited by KevinInStL; 11-15-2019 at 03:15 PM..
KevinInStL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

It looks like this one has already sold out. A ton of places are going to have the new model Duo Nova on sale on Black Friday for ~$65. It will be a 6 quart instead of the 8 like this was. However, the Lux that was on sale on Amazon is also the original model and misses some of the features like the self locking lid with push button pressure release that the new Duo has. It is the same lid that is on the Ultra and the Max, but in a cheaper new version of the Duo.

The Lux can still do most everything that the newer one can (with the exception of the Yogurt function), so this is a great deal if you need the larger model and do not care about the added features of the newer version lid.
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

We have the 6qt and it's plenty for a family of 4. It's just the 2 of us and I can make food that with leftovers often lasts the entire week (but there is nothing wrong with that).

I also have a old school, but high quality stainless pressure cooker and have not had any issues with either the pressure cooker or the Insta-pot. One thing I will advise is make sure you have enough liquid in the insta-pot or it will stop and notify you there is a danger of food burning. I found this out on a "Goulash" cook where I followed the recipe, but it was not enough liquid for the pasta which soaked up what was there. Next time, I just adjusted the recipe for more water and it works fine (the original recipe was a pressure cooker recipe but I had not made it previously. I think the amount of water is a typo as it seemed low but I followed the recipe).

It's like anything, if you follow the directions on how to use the insta-pot you should be fine. I've seen some cute steam vent covers that direct the steam in a side direction and I'm probably going to add one of those to my insta-pot. But an insta-pot is a good tool to have in your kitchen.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

Im my experience, when the instant pot says "BURN", it means it...
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I was raised on pressure cookers. My Bride was not but she is now an Instant Pot Masterette.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Thank You Adams....been sitting on my ARSS for awhile on this. Your post made me pull the trig. $100 bucks for a great all year (especially winter) cooker....Thanks!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I got an Instant Pot Mini on a sale. Syracuse salt potatoes are super easy and really good for a side dish
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
Dplorable
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Kroger has the same cooker on black friday sale $49.99

https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad
Dplorable is offline   Reply With Quote