MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinInStL View Post
I agree with the others who said that the only thing in BBQ an IR thermometer would be good for is to measure the surface temp of a flat-top griddle.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the others on the Thermapen though. The Thermapen is nice, and if you can afford it and think it's worth the money, then by all means go for it. It's your money...but it’s way overpriced for what it is IMO. A digital thermometer is probably one of the simplest electronic instruments there is. Even a very well made and reliable one has no business costing anywhere close $100 IMO. I have the Thermoworks 600C, which cost me something like $23 including shipping, has served me perfectly, and works just as well as the Thermapen. No it doesn’t have an auto-rotating display, and it doesn't fold. While they may sound nice, those are really unnecessary features if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

The 600 series is IP67 waterproof though, meaning i can drop it in a pot of hot soapy water and let it soak for an hour (or even overnight) with no issues. I've had it for over 2.5 years, we use it all the time, still measures very accurate in boiling water and an icewater bath, and still haven't even had to change the battery. It is calibratable too should it ever need adjusting.

The 600C is now discontinued but the current versions of it are the 600D and the ProNeedle, both of which are around $30.
EDIT: Looks like the current 600D and ProNeedle do have a 180* rotating display. https://www.thermoworks.com/proneedle click the "10 Questions / 59 Answers" link above the price to see a comparison between the Proneedle and the 600D, as well as a comparison between the ProNeedle and ThermoPop.
I've used a '600' and many similar units and while they do tell the temperature relatively well, they are not terribly 'good' IMHO.

They are hard to read, for me at least. Many of them get my fingers too close to something hot which is especially uncomfortable with liquids and steam.

The more expensive Thermopens really are superior devices but, as noted, if you only care about reading the temperature from a really small display that may not rotate so you can read it (without being upside down/backwards), save some money, burn your fingers and, strain your eyes with a cheaper option.

Want to know how I really feel?

Old 12-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Thermapen
Thermoworks Smoke
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #18
Win nut
Knows what a fatty is.

I am using a Thermopen, Thermopop and a Thermoworks TW8060 K type thermocouple. Honestly the Thermopop for $30 does 90% of what the thermopen does. I know they don't make the TW8060 anymore but it's a tank!! I use Omega thermocouples at work to calibrate RTDs and they are nearly identical in the quality.
Win nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #19
KenInk
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Oksana

recommend Inkbird 6 probes unit,Bluetooth,rechargeable,magnet,6 probes,and one year warranty.This month we are on 50% off sale.Only 29.74 get it.won't be disappointed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R9RLR11?ref=myi_title_dp
KenInk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #20
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInk View Post
recommend Inkbird 6 probes unit,Bluetooth,rechargeable,magnet,6 probes,and one year warranty.This month we are on 50% off sale.Only 29.74 get it.won't be disappointed.
link shows $42.49
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
link shows $42.49
Send a PM to get the code.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2019, 01:08 AM   #22
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
link shows $42.49

PM KenInk, he will send you a code.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 04:11 AM   #23
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
link shows $42.49
Today it shows $58.99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (35.6 KB, 70 views)
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #24
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark
Default amazon sucks

Put the inkbird in my amazon cart yesterday and sent a pm to ken. retrieved the code this morning and went to amazon. yikes! price went up $16 overnight. ken's 30% off code should make the new final price around $41 but error message says the code is invalid. i live in the boonies and do a lot of online shopping, particularly with amazon. gonna have to rethink that.
mark
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #25
ebijack
Babbling Farker

I sent a PM to Ken early this morning stating the code did not work and the price went up.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #26
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Ken replied back. The lower shown price was a lighting deal. I did not notice.
But Ken has a new code. The price ends up $38.34
Thanks Ken!

Last edited by ebijack; 12-10-2019 at 04:02 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

My javelin thermometer has been fine. My inkbird 4 probe monitor fell apart in just a few months, but their customer service is good and they sent me a newer model no questions asked.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermometer