MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Today & Tomorrow

Made a trip to Costco today, picked up some spares, baby backs and a brisket. I typically freeze all the trimmings for use at a later date, but today I decided to throw it all on...nice to have snacks along the way. Used Dizzy Dust on top, and Rub Co Original on the bone side. For the scraps, I coated liberally with Yardbird for something different. Already started snacking on those, turned out nice and juicy.

Tomorrow morning I will throw this on, stay tuned...

SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

Ribs look good!! What are your plans for the briskey?

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain P.J. View Post
Ribs look good!! What are your plans for the briskey?
Thank you.....Not sure what I am doing with the brisket yet, still pondering that. Used Bovine Bold last time, no foil. Been researching about proper temps, but I guess that is really a personal preference.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Inject the brisket.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Inject the brisket.
I would really like to start doing that (butts as well), but I have yet to purchase an injector
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 12-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
I would really like to start doing that (butts as well), but I have yet to purchase an injector

if there is a horse/farm store, get you some horse injectors and use that. I used to use any old injector and was getting injection streaks, turns out it was the injector doing that. the best part is you get to toss it away when done because they are so cheap.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

What are injection streaks?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I think is Bacteria left in the injector that make's brown spots/streaks.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like a good couple days to me!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Getting discouraged over here, not putting out the quality I am hoping for lately. They turned out a bit dry, and I am more than a bit disappointed...

Here they are before the Blues Hog...

And after

SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

dont get discouraged over there its a slow task to get winning ribs the ribs look very good but again you need to practice with some friends lol <us the brethren > I am free as are most of the guys that are close to you to try your dry food and if you have some wet beer we will stay a long time and help you get rid of your winning ribs oops dry ribs

Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Streaking is caused from colors of the injection in reference of the meat colors.In example, light colored pork tenderloin with my plum habenaro jelly will leave little stains of flavor. Not Bacteria. Throw the needle and injector away after use. Usually when I see streaking it's caused by too big of needle. Start with a bottle of Tony C's,with injector. That will be a good starting point of size. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
dont get discouraged over there its a slow task to get winning ribs the ribs look very good but again you need to practice with some friends lol <us the brethren > I am free as are most of the guys that are close to you to try your dry food and if you have some wet beer we will stay a long time and help you get rid of your winning ribs oops dry ribs
I am always more than happy to host
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
I make (and occationally sell) a great 1 gallon pump up sprayer injector that absolutely ROCKS! No refilling, no crappy plungers, no fat monster needles that make a hole so big that the injection just leaks right out... Fill it with your juice, pump it up and start jabbing meat!

The large capacity makes it great if you have alot of briskets to inject. I'll never inject with anything else.

Here's a couple pics with the stubby 16ga needle installed. The needle flips around and stores inside the tip backwards when not in use.

Quote:
What are injection streaks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy-mo View Post
Streaking is caused from colors of the injection in reference of the meat colors.In example, light colored pork tenderloin with my plum habenaro jelly will leave little stains of flavor. Not Bacteria. Throw the needle and injector away after use. Usually when I see streaking it's caused by too big of needle.
Yup! Most beef bullion and broths contain some carmel or natural colors, they concentrate in the injection area and leave "track marks". Spices will do the same thing.
I prefer a 16 gauge needle and if I'm doing brisket I use a 1 1/2" one - short, but you don't need a long sucker since you really don't need to worry about going any deeper than that. The smaller diameter needle helps the meat seal itself up to hold the injection in once you remove the needle. Kinda like when you get a shot.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

thats a kool deal