Bamboo Charcoal - first pass!

IF you saw bamboo lump charcoal in the store, would you try it?

• Sure, why not!

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • No, I'll stick with what has worked for me

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

terrabamboo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the board, excited though to be a part of such a large community.

I have made my first batch of bamboo lump charcoal! I would like to ship bags to about 20 people here (I will pay shipping). PM me if interested. I would like for you to compare and contrast to other lump charcoals you have cooked with and post your findings here on this thread so we have some history. I searched the form up and down and could only find one small thread where no one acted on it. Well here I AM!

What I had envisioned is to provide in a retail 5lb bag, the lump charcoal, a wood flavoring pack (applewood, cherry, etc), and some bundled up dried bamboo leaves as a starter. I may not need the flavoring pack - but I would like a consensus from some experts here rather than my personal pallet :) bamboo burns clean - maybe -too- clean, which is why I am suggesting the flavoring wood chips.

I toiled all day whether or not this is the correct forum - I hope it is!

Attachments

• charcoal.jpg
    charcoal.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 226
That looks interesting. It would be nice to see how your charcoal maker works!

Reo

I'd be interested to see how it performs. Where are you getting the bamboo from?

I'd be interested to see how it performs. Where are you getting the bamboo from?

I have planted, irrigated, and growing one of the largest bamboo plantations in the USA. I currently have a premier bamboo candle line (search terra bamboo on amazon) but that can be done on a few acres - and I have much than that coming to fruition in two years! Charcoal is the front runner. I have distribution channels ready. Just need real user input now.:)

Interested! Especially because you say it has little flavor. I'm wondering if it would be good for minion/snake method.

interesting

looks like it would burn super quick with it being hollow

Hi all,

I have had an overwhelming demand on this first pass. Thank you so much for your interest! I am replying to those who PM'd me.

At this time if you wish to PM me, I will keep your name and address on a spreadsheet and sometime in December after the initial reviews come back - if you are still interested based on the user feedback, I will ship you a bag for free as well.

How much area is "5 pounds" of bamboo charcoal? Would that be enough to fill a WSM ring up? Might be hard to test it if it is only half or quarter of a rings worth.

My favorite charcoal is whatever is on sale. I will try anything for a cheap price!

Back