MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveofBrisket View Post
Currently sitting around 165 ish.... I'm going to take a less exact approach this time and wait until just before the flat is probe tender and wrap and rest in the cooler. Not even going to take a real temp reading in the end, I'm just going to go by feel. I think taking temp readings makes me paranoid and react too quickly when I'm down to the end of the cook. Perhaps I'm getting a little cocky here, so we shall see.
I have cooked my last 3 or 4 packers that way and they have all been perfect so keep your confidence and it will be fine.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

For no salt Lemon Pepper, I went with "Mrs Dash" brand. All their seasonings are No Salt.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Heres my current version of the Dirty Dalamtian rub.

Now we all know its origins are in Lockhart, Taylor, Llano, Luling types of Texas joints and its called that because its mostly salt and pepper.

Dirty Dalamtian is created from other ingredients that are larger in size ,like oragano leaves, certain lemon peppers, red pepper flakes, anything cunky and dry that you want carried into the meat with the salt (which links to flavor).

Plus you never know from minute to minute what a dog is gonna lay in. LOL

Here are some links to my current mix.

Part One - Of course coarse Koshure or sea salt (the latter will ring your brisket more)

Part Two - Pepper, http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=45
Note, in a video of Muellers he says 60 mesh - no... he uses 20 liek this or close. I think eh is trying to fool someone. I have mentioned I use 60 mesh - that was to throw people. I use 20 mesh like this. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Part Three - Other Stuff I toss in to that last third. These are options and yoo can mix them... say your part system is made up of cups. It would be one cup salt, one cup pepper and one cup of extra stuff at any ration as long as the total of this third part does not exceed one cup. I hope yall get this.

Lemon Pepper Sams - Major Component
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=32
Has salt but just lower the Salt ratio to accomodate.

Optional - Greek Mix I like to call it (no salt)
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=27
Love this and its always hanging round the church.

Option - Like Garlic? MINCED
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=28
This can be dangerous if you use too much. Not because its too garlicy, but because it burns. Onion Mince has the same problem.

Option - This is Off the chain and large grained - No salt Garlic Pepper Mix
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=29
Better choice than minced garlic but keep an eye on your pepper ratios.

Option - John Travolta Eat your heart out - Italian Mix
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=31
Like the used to like the mixed better than just Oregano Leaves but you may differ.

CAVEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

If I buy this http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=45

Option - I might as well BUY THIS - http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=98

Option -Amust in your rub. http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=97

pay no attention to this
http://www.tones.com/products/displa...p?product_id=9
Or
Either rub some of this in with your powders or inject using the old drippings defatted and strained from the last brisket you made. That's right, inject with old smokey drippings. this

Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

its out - you can lay it in it too its just invisable

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 01-17-2010 at 03:36 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
4TheLoveofBrisket
Full Fledged Farker

Just wanted to post an update. Pulled 1 of 2 and carved it up for me and the parents for dinner earlier. Hunger had set in extremely badly, and I didn't snap any pics. The second one is resting in the cooler as I type. I'll get some pics after it's rested for a couple hours and I carve that bad boy up. Regarding #1, it was by far the best brisket I've ever done, and I've done quite a few in my 10 years of this habit. #2 was being extremely stubborn in getting done. It was on the pit for almost 13 hrs!! The bark is a little dry, but I'm hoping wrapping and holding in a cooler will help moisten it back up. For those looking to up their briskets a notch, try the tri-level dalmation rub. It's worth it!!!
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #21
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like they came out great! I'm also a convert on this method, although I usually run in the 315-325 degree range, after a couple of hours at 225. I'm also a recent convrt to the "quit being so hung up on temps" club. Once I crank the heat, as long as i'm between 270 and 340 degrees I really don't worry and I can just focus on drinking my beer. Looking forward to the finished pics!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. Pulled 1 of 2 and carved it up for me and the parents for dinner earlier. Hunger had set in extremely badly, and I didn't snap any pics. The second one is resting in the cooler as I type. I'll get some pics after it's rested for a couple hours and I carve that bad boy up. Regarding #1, it was by far the best brisket I've ever done, and I've done quite a few in my 10 years of this habit. #2 was being extremely stubborn in getting done. It was on the pit for almost 13 hrs!! The bark is a little dry, but I'm hoping wrapping and holding in a cooler will help moisten it back up. For those looking to up their briskets a notch, try the tri-level dalmation rub. It's worth it!!!
I don't get it... even a 14 pounder at 270 to 300 would be done in a fraction of the time.

Wrapping helps a lot. But I assume the long time made it tougher. I had a guy the other day cook three in a Oyler designed to load with several hundred pounds. He asked me how long and I said flip the last hour at 4 - we put it on at 10. BUT HE NEVER LOADED ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PIT. so it was done probaly by 2. Thats right. he burned it up by not loading the pit.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #23
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I don't get it... even a 14 pounder at 270 to 300 would be done in a fraction of the time.
He was at 225 for the first 7 hours or so before cranking the heat.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
its out - you can lay it in it too its just invisable
I am saving that one for sure!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Doing two briskets today. Picked up two 11 lb 'ish full packers at Wal-Mart. One had a big gash in the flat which I didn't notice until I opened them. Hopefully this doesn't dry that flat out. One is for dinner with the parents, and one to vaccum seal for later. Trying Popdaddy's Tri-Level with Dalmation technique. I've only got PRON for one of them.

Up at 3am. Stoked a fire on the old stickburner: Fuels of Choice? White oak and Mesquite.

De-cryo'ed the Briskets. Here's a shot pre-trim

Trimmed:

Fat side up with a light coat of Bolners "Season It All".

Fat side up with a liberal coat of a no salt rub I threw together. Rub consisted of:

3 Parts Ground Ancho Chili poweder
3 Parts Chili powder
3 Parts Granulated Garlic
3 Parts fresh ground celery seed
3 parts Onion Powder
3 Parts ground mustard seed
3 parts Paprika
2 Parts fresh ground Cumin

Next, a very liberal coating of Dalmation rub, without lemon pepper though. Having a hard time finding a no/low salt version.

After all that work, I found myself extremely famished and hungry so I made some Bean and cheese breakfast tacos:

More pics later....
mrs dash no salt lemmon pepper
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
4TheLoveofBrisket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Wrapping helps a lot. But I assume the long time made it tougher. I had a guy the other day cook three in a Oyler designed to load with several hundred pounds. He asked me how long and I said flip the last hour at 4 - we put it on at 10. BUT HE NEVER LOADED ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PIT. so it was done probaly by 2. Thats right. he burned it up by not loading the pit.
In so much as I paid attention, the temp spiked at about 237 in 6 1/2 hrs before I cranked it up to 'medium' hot/fast temps. So this, I'm attributing, is the reason it took so long. Incidentally, #2, with it's longer cook time tasted just as good as #1 after a wrap and rest. I 'just' carved it up and vaccum sealed it. Took pics, but as I was transferring the first pic to my PC, the battery on the camera died. So it's charging now, and I'll get some final pics up tomorrow. I know, till the pron, it never happened...
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations on a fine job, look forward to the photos!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I am saving that one for sure!
be sure and tone down the outer spices (which are designed to force outside flavors into the meat. when ever you use that technique. Add some water maybe. Some added broth in the injection medium and I realized, hey, your adding broth to broth, LOL

Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #29
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
In so much as I paid attention, the temp spiked at about 237 in 6 1/2 hrs before I cranked it up to 'medium' hot/fast temps. So this, I'm attributing, is the reason it took so long. Incidentally, #2, with it's longer cook time tasted just as good as #1 after a wrap and rest. I 'just' carved it up and vaccum sealed it. Took pics, but as I was transferring the first pic to my PC, the battery on the camera died. So it's charging now, and I'll get some final pics up tomorrow. I know, till the pron, it never happened...
I see, you you low and slowed it 6 and a half hours before mediumed and walked it.

Although that would work well with a different rub technique, you have to be sure and have that cranked up after your small ring setting temp. The key here is to get that meat into the stall as efficiently as possible.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

the secret injection tip is so hidden now I cannot even search for it... LOL

I've lost my own proof making it invisible, damn