MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default My test run

Ok here goes nothing... In preparation for my first comp I did a full run thru this weekend. Here are the pics of my turn in boxes as well as a couple that I snapped along the way. FYI all I could find were my left over Chinese food take out boxes, so they aren't quite the right size or depth. I would really appreciate any pointers and comments.

Enjoy the pron.

Thanks all!

Tweedle
Angry Pig BBQ

Brisket rubbed.jpg

pork cookin.jpg

ribs cookin.jpg

pork n brisket cookin.jpg

breakfast fatty.jpg

chicken turn in.jpg

rib turn in.jpg

pork turn in.jpg

brisket turn in.jpg
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

It is hard to judge from pictures, and I think easier to be critical when you can take longer time to study the turn in but I will post my thoughts.

Chicken: I know the box may not have been the right size but be careful of having the pieces so close to the edge, you never know if when opening it might tear off the skin or a chunk of meat, that would lower your scores. The piece in the center top looks off, either the left piece is much bigger or the center is smaller, also it looks like it is turned the other direction from left and right pieces. Having the grill marks oriented so they all go the same direction may be more pleasing to the eye. I would probably score a 6-7 based on a quick view at the table.

Ribs: Picture may make the ribs look a little dark, otherwise they look fairly meaty. The cut looks like they may be wider at the top than the bottom, but that could be the angle of the picture. The right front rib looks smaller, or is not lined up at the front edge, that may be more appealing to the eye, although that could be caused when handled at the turn in, I personally try not to judge based on perfect alignment. Also I try not to look at the garnish, but you may get some comments on the parsley around the edges of the box being uneven. Looks like the ribs set up high on the parsley, I think that is a good thing. I would score solid 7 maybe 8.

Pork: Looks good, lots of bark showing (judges seem to like that). On pork I think the fuller the box the better it will appear, so maybe a little more meat and less green framing would show. I like this box, solid 8.

Brisket: Nice fairly even width slices, picture is a little dark to see details. May look a little dry with sauce to cover? Front slice looks like a dark spot just left of center, (injection site?) and just right of center a cut from the bottom up? Second slice looks a little roughly cut, may just be the picture though. I would give 7.

Sorry so long winded, but if these are your first boxes you did a pretty good job, I have only made a few parsley boxes (just because it is VERY difficult for me), I don't seem to have the patience, lol.

David Keyse
cbj #5112
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
It is hard to judge from pictures, and I think easier to be critical when you can take longer time to study the turn in but I will post my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post

Chicken: I know the box may not have been the right size but be careful of having the pieces so close to the edge, you never know if when opening it might tear off the skin or a chunk of meat, that would lower your scores. The piece in the center top looks off, either the left piece is much bigger or the center is smaller, also it looks like it is turned the other direction from left and right pieces. Having the grill marks oriented so they all go the same direction may be more pleasing to the eye. I would probably score a 6-7 based on a quick view at the table.

Ribs: Picture may make the ribs look a little dark, otherwise they look fairly meaty. The cut looks like they may be wider at the top than the bottom, but that could be the angle of the picture. The right front rib looks smaller, or is not lined up at the front edge, that may be more appealing to the eye, although that could be caused when handled at the turn in, I personally try not to judge based on perfect alignment. Also I try not to look at the garnish, but you may get some comments on the parsley around the edges of the box being uneven. Looks like the ribs set up high on the parsley, I think that is a good thing. I would score solid 7 maybe 8.

We also had a bit of an issue with the ribs because of the knife I guess it was alot more obvious than I thought.

Pork: Looks good, lots of bark showing (judges seem to like that). On pork I think the fuller the box the better it will appear, so maybe a little more meat and less green framing would show. I like this box, solid 8.

Thanks I'll be doing another one soon I'll try and fill out the box more. I was hesitant to put the bark on the top as I didn’t want to look like I was trying to hide anything but I guess it turned out.Bark showing I guess is good then huh.

Brisket: Nice fairly even width slices, picture is a little dark to see details. May look a little dry with sauce to cover? Front slice looks like a dark spot just left of center, (injection site?) and just right of center a cut from the bottom up? Second slice looks a little roughly cut, may just be the picture though. I would give 7.

We had a rough time with this brisket it came out very dry so I painted some sauce on the front to cover it but.... looks like I’m no the first person to do that as you caught it right away. and that dark spot is an injection sight I tried a new one and it left streaks through the whole thing, also I couldn’t find my knife to cut them so the sharpest one I could find did rip the brisket up. I just kept telling myself no one would notice. Lol

Sorry so long winded, but if these are your first boxes you did a pretty good job, I have only made a few parsley boxes (just because it is VERY difficult for me), I don't seem to have the patience, lol.

David Keyse
cbj #5112
Thank you very much for the advice and critique. These were the first boxes I have ever put together and the advice was very helpful. I really appreciate the tips.
Do you cut the brisket starting at the top or the bottom?
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

quick thoughts without being picky. Chicken has a very nice shine to it. Looks moist. But it looks like funny black grill marks or burn marks. Need to cook so it looks more uniform. If they are grill marks all pieces should have similar markings. I'd like a little more red color.

Ribs look dry. Need the shine and wet look from the chicken box. Try a light glaze with a 1/4 or 1/3 honey.

Pork - a little more red color maybe from sauce. Shine is better so looks a little moister. I'd fill the box with more meat. More is better. Maybe even put in a row of chunks.

Brisket - moist looking. Fill the box. 10 or 11 slices if you have them. Looks like parsley is covering part of the front slice. I like the slices to sit on top of the parsley.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Does everything look yellow? Try getting a little red sauce involved... A nice mahogany color is prime....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

All good comments above; nice first run-through! Definitely, with pork, fill the box.

I agree largely with scores above 7's and 8's. I think the pork could've come up with
more pork. Ribs look either slightly burned or dry (can't really tell from pic). Agree,
a small coat of something (honey mixture or perhaps sweet sauce) would dress that
up a bit.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

my thoughts on chicken, try and avoid grill marks, leads to believe cooked hot and fast rather than truly bbq'ed.
Ribs, look dry, could just be the picture, also not the biggest fan of stacking like that.
Pork and brisket, fill the box with meat, chances are you always have plenty of each.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Very odd coloring for me. Get those puppies red.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote