At a loss....

SteveT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok guys...I live in San Jose, CA. and so far, I can't find any stores that have pork butts...but then, maybe I am confused and really don't know what to ask for, because when I ask for a pork butt, they keep trying to sell me a ham. So....and due to different parts of the country calling the same cut of meat, something different....Exactly what part of the pig/hog does the "butt" come from, and as I am going to smoke it for pulled pork, I assume I want an un-cured portion. And...yes, I am a newbie and have never smoked a butt!!

By the way....I have noticed a couple of guys saying they can't find Tri-tips... I have no problem finding them here..... Oh...and for you guys that live in the midwest, where I am originally from, (Pekin, IL. to be exact)... I would Kill or at least main, for a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich!!!...The people out here have NO idea what they are...and they also make Chicken Fried steak with corn meal, instead of flour!!! I went into a restaurant, and ordered a Chicken Fried Steak, and when they brought it out, I asked them "what in the heck is this" and I was told it was a Chicken Fried Steak.... I told them, "No it wasn't!!!" I then proceeded to teach the cook how to make a proper Chicken Fried Steak!!!

SteveT

Steve,

Go to Safeway today (I think their sale ends today). They have butts for $1.99lb. If you buy them in creyovac (They get them out of the back) they come in a 2 pack...even cheaper... $1.69lb. I bought 6 butts today at the Branham and Snell store. Nob Hill has these for $2.49 a pound on sale.

I looked at the ads beginning Wednesday(tomorrow),and neither store had them on sale..I stocked up today for a cookout we are having Saturday. They last a LONG time in creyovac.

Steve, the butt is the upper part of the pork shoulder (front of pig), with the lower part being the picnic or picnic butt. Safeway always has them. Most of the supermarkets have them. The ham, either cured or not, is not the same cut, it comes off the rear of the pig.

As for chicken fried steak, most of the places I have had it used flour and made a horrible paste like gravy. You must be going to some of those 'hipster' breakfast places you got down there.

Thanks Guys.....

I really appreciate the info!!!

SteveT

Back