My Comp Thighs...Kinda....

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been trying and trying to do comp thighs the way everyone says they do them. Trim thighs, scrape skin, reattach skin, smoke at 225*-250*. No matter how much I scrape or brine, the skin always came out like rubber and the meat was rather dry.
Well, finally I decided to do to the thighs the way I do to whole chickens...dry brine in fridge for 9 hours, apply Pam, then smoke at 425* till 171*IT. I can't help it...it works for me. Meat came out really juicy tender and skin came out bite thru in most places, crispy in the rest...my kinda skin...:becky: Maybe not comp, but I like'em. Take a look...

Heck ya, I'd attack that in a second. Looks great! Comp chicken doesn't mean it is really good, it just means that the judges like it...

The bird looks YUMMEE.Hard to refridgerate in a fridgerator for 9 hours at a comp.(well,..for MOST folks!)Ever thought of Dry Aged chicken??? Just funnin..........Looks GREAT!

Last edited:
Do what works for you! Do you think the best cooks just use other people's ideas or do you think they consider all approaches but do what works best for them?

Heck ya, I'd attack that in a second. Looks great! Comp chicken doesn't mean it is really good, it just means that the judges like it...

Do what works for you! Do you think the best cooks just use other people's ideas or do you think they consider all approaches but do what works best for them?

Do what works for you. They look great.

I agree. Cook 'em the way you like 'em!

Those look great! I've been drying my poultry products in the fridge overnight before Qing
for awhile now. It works for me!

I wouldn't know how to act if my yardbird came out looking like that and especially have bite through skin. I'm going to have to bite the bullit and start cooking chicken again.

They look really good! If you're cooking for competition, I disagree with the cooking them the way you want them. Cook them the way you think a judge would want them. That being said, I'm very inexperienced in the competition world, so I may not know.

One thing I've learned in competitions is there are 101 different ways to do anything and that includes turning out quality chicken. If you love it and the "tenderness" of the skin is spot on you've done well.

Thanks for all the replies. I know it's against the comp ways, but for the life of me, I just couldn't get the comp procedure to work for me. I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere. I'd love to witness for myself, the prep and smoking of some real comp chicken so I could find out where I'm going wrong. In the mean time, my standard chicken prep and cook seems to work fine on these cheap thighs and come with only moderate effort on my part. Only thing I really left out this time was to apply some sauce at the very end of the cook. Sometimes I like to be able to just taste the chicken and the rub alone and add sauce if I choose. Best part is, I can get my teeth thru that skin and hit moist meat.

I think those look really good, and if they had a more uniform appearance (and the skin was trimmed even with the meat), then I believe you could score well.:thumb:

Funny thing is, it was tough for me to trim what I did. To me, good skin is the best part. My wife removes the skin when eating...I take hers too.

Back