Pizza Cooker experiment pron

Chef Country

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well brothers and sisters I have a new experiment going down as we speek geting ready to check it again and see how its working no food pron today but we will see what happens in the next week or so. Well it starts with one of these that i have had laying around for a while

picture.php

picture.php

add a few of these

picture.php

and a little fire
picture.php

the rusty plate on the end is 5*10" i belive and it is removeable if need be, it is planned to be the way to clean the ashes out easy, if all ells fails it can become a forced air cooker too, and will probly become one as soon as i order my pid controller and scrap out an old computer for parts

right now about an hr after fire im setting at 620 on the inside brick and 560 on the outsides, with 10 min after lid down I have 450 at thermo in the lid I have the big vent/clean out hanging by 1 screw and about 3/4 inch opening around the vent will check temps again in about 20 min or so, I will proble get more even heat when i use lump instead of large logs, or maybe even smaller logs, I will experiment with that later when i can get to my smaller splits

well i changed how my big vent was open and instanty gaind 50* up top

picture.php

picture.php

i have temps on each brick in my album http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=411 after i slid the grate over a litle, one thing i will need to do is beef up the grate wich i planned on doing anyway but didnt want to dig the metal out of the snow drift but i can forsee some good pizza on the way as soon as i can find me a good crust recipe :becky:

Hmmmm.... wood fired pizza cooker. I like the idea! I just may have to add that one to my collection too. Good idea!

I think your fire may be hotter than that thermo reads.
Have you tested it in boiling water?

I think your fire may be hotter than that thermo reads.
Have you tested it in boiling water?

I didnt think of that, but my infered is certified within the last couple months, I should have stuck my thermapen in the vent up top will check my lid thermo befor i cook a pizza on it

well the bricks are a nice golden brown color now, and looks to get warm enough to cook a pizza, might get a the true test tomorrow:becky:

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. Hopefully you can get a better thermo reading. If you can, you want that thing up around 700* give or take 50*, but you might get some warping of some parts...hard to tell unitl you fire it up I suppose.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. Hopefully you can get a better thermo reading. If you can, you want that thing up around 700* give or take 50*, but you might get some warping of some parts...hard to tell unitl you fire it up I suppose.

my target temp for today was 500* and i hit that in the dome and 630* in the center of the bricks, 500* on the outside bricks, but i can add a a little 02 to the mix and peg my dome temp I have to beef up my grate first but that's no big deal I'm working on building a pid controller just to see if i can. I gotta head to the big city tomorrow and pick up a pizza peel and some ingredients :thumb: will test my dome thermo in the moring also

Back