How long do you let green smokin wood dry

Hawgsnheifers

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was helping Mrs Hawgsnheifers parents trim up some apple trees on their property and came away with a nice pile of chunks about 2 to 3 inches in diameter. I cut them up in 6 inch lengths and stacked em up on some concrete blocks to dry. How long do I have to wait until I can split them and us em for smokin wood?

Todd,
The basic rule of thumb most of us use is about 6 months.
I think this is good for split wood used as a primary heat source.
It needs to be dried pretty well to avoid white smoke/steam and the creosote deposits.

But, for flavor woods you can reduce that time.
I am talking about using charcoal or other wood as the heat source and the apple as a flavor enhancer here.
If you split them on down now--maybe to beer can size or less, and make sure they stay dry and good airflow--I would use them as early as 2 to three months.
I have used some two month old peach sticks for flavor and never noticed any real amount of white or other smoke. They were added to a hot bed of coals created by Oak though, not used as the heat source.

One "awesome" team uses almost green flavor wood in this manner.
Lots of flavor in the fruit wood before it dries out.

Just some thoughts.

TIM

Check the ends. If they are starting to split, you can chunk them up and use them for smoke. If they're out in the sun and protected from rain, I'd guess about 3 months for the size you have.

Good info Kapn. I was concerened that if it was too green, it would cause a bitter taste or worse, make me or someone sick. These have already been cut down to about 4 to 6 inches long and since these were branches, they are only about 4 to maybe 8 inches in diameter. They are outside right now. Maybe I should stack them in the garage for a couple of months where they can dry. Outside they will just get wet. I never thought of using them now, as green as they are. I just cut them last weekend. I wonder if I split them now and used them it would be OK?

Hawgsnheifers said:
Good info Kapn. I was concerened that if it was too green, it would cause a bitter taste or worse, make me or someone sick. These have already been cut down to about 4 to 6 inches long and since these were branches, they are only about 4 to maybe 8 inches in diameter. They are outside right now. Maybe I should stack them in the garage for a couple of months where they can dry. Outside they will just get wet. I never thought of using them now, as green as they are. I just cut them last weekend. I wonder if I split them now and used them it would be OK?

Todd--still needs to dry/season some!!!!!
What I was saying was:
If carefully dried, it is possible to use flavor woods that are less than the normal 6 month old guide for heat wood.
Under optimum conditions, I have gone as short as 2 months.
Anything less is new territory for me :lol:
"Fresh cut" is something you should try at your own risk. :lol:

And, this is only if you have a full heat source going and the flavor wood is a small percentage of the wood/charcoal at work!

Patience!

TIM

I wont touch any freshly cut wood for at least 6 months. Here where I hand my hat in Michigan, It seems to have cracks in the ends of the logs or splits in about 6 months. I usta cut a lot of firewood in the winter and had to always give it the same amount of cure time. That way it would burn decent in the woodstove. IMHO the same applies to cure time. Minimum 6 months or it aint going into my Klose Mobile.

Do you guys suggest leaving the bark on or off to smoke with?

Apple wood trees don't really don't have much of a bark when compared to other woods I have seen.

EZ Smoker said:
Do you guys suggest leaving the bark on or off to smoke with?

That subject has been brought up before( by me...to name a few) seems that it does not really make any difference but, you can search this site and read all the different views on this topic.

I haven't tried apple wood on anything less than 6 months drying time. But then again I use a larger ratio of it compared to the other fuel in the firebox.

As far as the bark, if it's loose then tear it off. If not then leave it.

Bark on, bark off, doesn't matter to me and have not noticed a difference to speak of imho; always glad to hear what other brethren say.

IMHO, bark is usually tight to the log. At the 6th month curing/drying period. A year later its usually loose. Ive used it on and off. Honestly couldnt tell a difference.

I use mesquite here in tx. and oak when i got it. but i have never removed the bark. i dont think it matters one way or another.
While we are on this subject. how important is it to keep your wood out of the rain? I have mine set up between a couple of fence posts in the back yard. really no where to put it out of the elements.

FatDaddy said:
I use mesquite here in tx. and oak when i got it. but i have never removed the bark. i dont think it matters one way or another.
While we are on this subject. how important is it to keep your wood out of the rain? I have mine set up between a couple of fence posts in the back yard. really no where to put it out of the elements.

It's not like we have Monsoons down here. :roll:

Split wood will dry (season) faster than whole pieces because the wood will have more sides exposed to the air. I would split now and place it somewhere dry.

Back