MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #4561
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
I put two of these $3 dollar valves on my intakes on my drum.(have a brass one on one of the three) Even at 375 deg. they were cool to touch. The drum seems easier to control now. I change all three at the same time and it seems to burn in three directions in fire pan. I am not one of the Ellette but in my opinion this works great.

Prolly works great on a calm day. If you get those kind of days.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #4562
Sterling
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Antifreeze Drums

I have a source for 55 gallon antifreeze barrels. They are closed topped and unlined. I have a drum deheader, so removing the top is not a problem. My question is what are the safety issues involved in using these drums. I plan on burning them out before cooking on them.

Thanks,

Sterling

Chandler, AZ
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #4563
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
I have a source for 55 gallon antifreeze barrels. They are closed topped and unlined. I have a drum deheader, so removing the top is not a problem. My question is what are the safety issues involved in using these drums. I plan on burning them out before cooking on them.

Thanks,

Sterling

Chandler, AZ
As long as you don't drink the stuff, a good burn should be fine.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #4564
dresselbrew
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

Thanks,

Sterling

Chandler, AZ
My drum was full of glycol but it was open top and had a thick liner that was a pain to get off. I'd say you are fine with a good burn.
dresselbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #4565
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
I put two of these $3 dollar valves on my intakes on my drum.(have a brass one on one of the three) Even at 375 deg. they were cool to touch. The drum seems easier to control now. I change all three at the same time and it seems to burn in three directions in fire pan. I am not one of the Ellette but in my opinion this works great.

I thought about trying those. May still on the capped inlets. Whats the worst that happens it melts and you have to cut it off?
Codeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #4566
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
I thought about trying those. May still on the capped inlets. Whats the worst that happens it melts and you have to cut it off?
Worst thing is, since it's on the intake side of things, you end up with the smoke from the plastic imparting a taste (or worse) to your food. I wouldn't do it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #4567
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Many people have been using these without problems. Ramp your UDS up to 350 and put your hand on the intakes. My UDS was sitting on ice for 5hrs at 250 and didn't melt the ice.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #4568
Lazy R
Found some matches.

First post, noobie here. Just went through the entire thread and my eyeballs are falling out.

I have a sealed drum that contained hydraulic fluid. Going to cut the top out with a high speed grinder and thin cutoff wheel. Am I going to blow myself up unless I fill it with water or something first?

Awesome thread!

Edit: was told the hydraulic fluid or other oils (rather than solvents) wouldn't have the airborne combustibles. So I opened the bungs and blew out the air in the drum anyway with my shopvac, and cut the lid off tonight. Nice pretty plain steel insides which I'm cleaning up now.

Last edited by Lazy R; 12-17-2009 at 08:28 PM..
Lazy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #4569
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
Worst thing is, since it's on the intake side of things, you end up with the smoke from the plastic imparting a taste (or worse) to your food. I wouldn't do it.
By the valve being on the outside of the barrel, I don't think there's any danger of it "smoking" and giving off nastys that would impart in the food. I don't think it'll get that hot....warm maybe....but not hot enough to give off fumes. Just an observation. Not criticizing your statement/opinion.

BTW....My name is Demosthenes. Long time stick-burner. Heard a lot about these UDS's for many years. Age has slowed me down to where baby sitting my stick burner all night is not fun anymore. Bought a used WSM back in Feb. 09.........best $125 I ever spent. (just wish it was bigger ) I can't see forking out $399+tax for the 22.5 WSM, so I figure why not spend less than $100 and get the same capacity as the WSM's 22.5 and build myself an UGLY. (in progress)

The beauty (or lack of) in building a UDS is there are so many different looks you can give it......flat top lid vs. dome lid......ball valve intake vs. magnets vs. daisey wheel......holes in the flat top lid for exhaust vs. 2"pipe nipple w/ 90° elbow pipe.......barrel welded to a hand truck for easy transport vs. plate or stem casters...painted vs. ugly, and the list goes on.

I've enjoyed reading "most" of the post in this section and will continue to read them for more insight and ideas.
Thanks,
Demosthenes
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #4570
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy R View Post
First post, noobie here. Just went through the entire thread and my eyeballs are falling out.

I have a sealed drum that contained hydraulic fluid. Going to cut the top out with a high speed grinder and thin cutoff wheel. Am I going to blow myself up unless I fill it with water or something first?

Awesome thread!

Edit: was told the hydraulic fluid or other oils (rather than solvents) wouldn't have the airborne combustibles. So I opened the bungs and blew out the air in the drum anyway with my shopvac, and cut the lid off tonight. Nice pretty plain steel insides which I'm cleaning up now.
Good luck with our build and post pics for proof!!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #4571
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy R View Post

Awesome thread!

Good luck with your build and post pics for proof!!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #4572
smknok
Found some matches.

Default reconditioned drum

I got this drum yesterday. IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0104.jpg
Can anyone tell me about how long I need of a burn I need to get the coating off. Looks like some kind of epoxy to me. I also thought I would go ahead and drill the holes for the intakes I am going to 3/4" nipples do I need a 1" hole? thanks

Old 12-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #4573
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanks,

Sterling

Chandler, AZ
Piece of mind goes a long way! A new drum is only around $45.00. You will always wonder every cook you have if you got all the contaminant out. If I had any safety concerns I would go with a new one.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #4574
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknok View Post
I got this drum yesterday. Attachment 34948 Attachment 34949
Can anyone tell me about how long I need of a burn I need to get the coating off. Looks like some kind of epoxy to me. I also thought I would go ahead and drill the holes for the intakes I am going to 3/4" nipples do I need a 1" hole? thanks
Burn it until its gone and don't worry about the time.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #4575
smknok
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Burn it until its gone and don't worry about the time.
noted and appreciated just trying to get a time frame

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker