• A Pastrami Walkthrough. (pr0n heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren! Ok this is not really a traditional pastrami. But this is how I've been making them... Which is based on traditional with a couple changes. I've used supermarket corned briskets but this just comes out way better. Corning the brisket yourself gives you the potential to fill it with that pastrami flavor from the start. So this is what went down...

Started with a 7lb packer and trimmed heavily.
caa37394.jpg

e9f6f7f7.jpg

f95fc0ec.jpg

da1ea30f.jpg

Then came the brine:
1 gal water
1 tin (10.5oz) Beef consomme
1.25 cup kosher salt
1tb smoked paprika
1.5 oz pink salt
1.5 tb pickling spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup white cane sugar
6 cloves garlic
1 shallot

Homemade pickling spice:
ae874e07.jpg

For the brine: I simmer the ingredients using only 1/2 of the water until everything is dissolved. Then I add the other 1/2 of the water back as ice when it's off the stove to cool it down.

Once the brine has cooled I place it in a ziplock with the brisket to cure/corn for 3 days. (this amount of brine is usually enough for a 10-12lb brisket, it was more than enough for my 7lber)

fb7408d9.jpg

6323b55e.jpg

Once it's out of the brine after 3 days it's patted dry and placed back in the fridge to equalize and to dry a bit for another day.

230f911e.jpg

8b326ccf.jpg

I then seasoned up with my pastrami rub (this is kinda where I change it up a bit.)
1TB black pepper corns
3/4 TB coriander seeds
1/2 TB onion flakes
1 tsp pimento
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp red pepper flakes

I place all the ingredients in a spice/coffee grinder and hit it a couple times.
722566f4.jpg

I rubbed the corned beef with EVOO, seasoned and put back in the fridge overnight. (i separated the point btw)

96dd2f9f.jpg

ea6ed4f0.jpg

The next day it went on the smoker at 250˚ with almond and lychee wood for smoke:

c0456de4.jpg

4e79ca4c.jpg

11d23ca5.jpg

82b60196.jpg

Once the meat hit 150˚ I got a roasting pan with a raised rack and chopped 1/2 onion, a sweet pepper some cloves of garlic, beef bullion and 2 light beers and put them in the pan with the rack on some foil rings to raise it higher. I then put the pastrami on the rack, covered it tightly with foil and placed it back on the grill over the corner of the fire rotating occasionally to steam until the meat reached about 170˚-175˚.

77829396.jpg

9a4c51a5.jpg

eff91d59.jpg

ebedab69.jpg

0bb8a083.jpg

Made it rest for 30-45 mins then I just HAD to cut a couple slices for a sample and a sammy :twitch: SO GOOD. I think this stuff is great straight off the smoker. The rest goes in the fridge to be sliced up tomorrow! :thumb:

7177d986.jpg

The point:
8744f0b3.jpg

The flat:
b06ed48d.jpg

ad1ac3dc.jpg

A simple sammy with hardough bread and Jack Daniel's mustard! Simply awesome! :clap2:

84059c82.jpg

Well there you go... Thanks for looking guys! First brisket out the case DONE! :heh::heh:

Cheers

Wow! That looks great. You've convinced me that I have to finally make pastrami.

Wow...just WOW! Deguerre is gonna drool when he sees that, it's one of his favorites for sammies, and yours is off the charts! I see brisket pastrami in my very near future.:thumb:

You are a wizard of this world, and I pray to Buddha that you continue to do amazing things with meat. Good work, brethren!

That is awesome you just made me drool on keyboard and almost took bite of screen

Outstanding!
I have never seen that much love put into a pastrami sandwich ever.

Back