MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #61
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Official Entry. Sesame Chicken Wings!

Link to full cook thread below.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...41#post2924441

Entry photo.

I would also like to make a suggestion. Allow entry's until noon on the day after the TD ends, I haven't seen 6am since the last time I was up that late drinking.

Can I go to bed now farkers?!!!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #62
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default Please accept this Official Entry into the "Kettle Cook Off" TD.

This is my entry called "Yak pizza on my orange kettle".

I originally wanted to cook two old laying hens in the kettle for this TD but when they were ready to go I didn't have the time to do an outdoor cook or take photos. Then Buccaneer called a Yak pizza TD and I thought, "Two birds with one stone". I haven't cooked on this kettle since before I joined the brethren. Nothing like jumping back into the fire for a TD!

I made the sauce yesterday. It's Chef Mario Batali's recipe for Fruit Mostarda from 'The Chew'. http://www.recapo.com/the-chew/the-c...ostini-recipe/ I had every intention of cutting the amount of sugar in half but Carol said that Daphne Oz said it wasn't sweet. A cup and a half of sugar seems very sweet to me, but okay, I'll try it the first time. I used dried strawberries, cranberries, apricots, raw sugar and Pinot Noir.

My plan for the pizza was a GF crust, Fruit Mostarda for the sauce, fresh fennel pieces, Mennonite smoked summer sausage and Camembert cheese. I tried the moustarda, fennel and Camembert with and without the summer sausage and found the meat really livened up the mostarda. Eaten together the mostarda sparkled against the smoked sausage.

I made a GF dough for pizza. I've documented it twice in TDs and given the recipe so I'll pass on posting it in this thread. If anyone wants the recipe PM me and I'll give it to you.

Below is the set up for the kettle. Because it was a pizza for high temperature I put all of the charcoal in the middle. I like to use a ripped in half/doubled paper towel roll in the centre of my charcoal chimney, I like the way it gets the coal at the top of the chimney going faster. Rolled up boxboard and thin cardboard work well, too, just make sure there is a tunnel to take flames to the top.

Dough after a 20 minute rest. It spreads like frosting but it's trickier and stickier. In order to be able to put sauce and toppings on it has to prebake 10 minutes.

Please use the photo below for voting.

It tasted pretty good but because of the amount of sugar we didn't want to eat more than one piece. I think it would be a good appetizer with friends, especially if you're drinking wine, but I recommend you cut the amount of sugar to ¾ of a cup or less. Cutting the sugar would also create a looser consistency which would be better for this application.

Thanks for looking.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #63
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Another kettle cook entry.

Please use this as my polling picture.

Cook thread HERE!

Attachment 96329

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon

Last edited by angryfish01; 06-23-2015 at 02:52 PM..
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #64
ehs5mw
Knows what a fatty is.

Man, some of these look fantastic! During the entry time, I cooked a brisket, several steaks, sweet corn, HDD wings, asparagus, hot dogs, and more on my kettle and still didn't manage to make an entry... fail!
ehs5mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #65
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firby13 View Post
Thanks for the education, I didn't know there was such a thing as Old Quebec-style chicken. I think the orange zest on it would be really nice, orange and chicken go together so well. Great cook and great-looking meal.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #66
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Mytmouz, even though the photos aren't great I can see there is a lot of good flavour in that chicken and steak dinner. I'd be in your debt for an invitation to such a nice meal.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #67
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Firby13, the crust on the chicken on your second entry plate looks fantastic! Beautiful photo, too!