MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Ok. Me and my wife are sold on the WSM. Last question. Can you cook with just wood on these?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
NickyG

I would use briquette or lump charcoal with wood chunks for flavoring. If you buy the 18.5" you would almost have enough left over to buy a guru, then you can really set it and forget it.
NickyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoseph74 View Post
I didn't realize it could take 3 grates. Is that with a mod?
Yes. I drilled quarter inch holes through the shell and internal supports midway between the bottom and top grate supports. I put 1/4" x 1/2" bolts in those and they support a standard 18" grate (same as the top grate or the grate from an 18.5 kettle.) It's a tight fit in the smoker and takes a little maneuvering to get in place but aside from that it works fine. Other options include supports from the bottom grate or hanging from the top grate but I'm happy with short bolts through the shell.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyG View Post
I would use briquette or lump charcoal with wood chunks for flavoring. If you buy the 18.5" you would almost have enough left over to buy a guru, then you can really set it and forget it.
Funny story. I was looking all over for what the cyberq wifi basically is. Gave up before I discovered it. I'm a web developer, so I decided to buy an arduino board, probe, and wifi board for it. Sorry if I'm talking too techie. Basically this will let me build one :)

Hank B - sounds easy enough.

EVERYONE - I ordered a 22.5" WSM a few minutes ago! It'll be here on Saturday! I'll be sure to post picture of my first smoke! Thank you very much for all your help! I am very excited for this!

-Dan

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Good choice I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think you will be very happy with it.

For small cooks, like a meat loaf or some appetizers, make a mini-WSM kit for your Smokey Joe.

And, you can do a small roast or a single rack of ribs on the 22.5 OTG with a small amount of fuel.

Or, add a rotisserie kit to the kettle for even more cooking options.

Being winter in MI, you can also do some cold smoking on your new WSM by making a tin-can and soldering iron smoke generator for about ten bucks.

With the grills/smokers that you will have when the new WSM arrives, it is amazing what you can do.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Quote:
How many slabs of ribs could I get on that wsm?
I got 9 on mine Christmas day! Five on top and 4 on the bottom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs.jpg (65.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg ribst.jpg (94.8 KB, 106 views)
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
djoseph74

casey - cool mod for the smokey joe! I had never thought of that. I'm going to have to try that out.

jeff - Wow, awesome. I was thinking about my rib racks also, I should be able to get 8 on those, then possibly a couple on each side of the rack. I'll have to see how much I can load up.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
hbc01
Found some matches.

I wanted the same and have been doing research for long time. I have decided on the Meadow Creek PR36. Its a little more than your budget is set for, but its built like a tank with 13 gauge steel, its a pig roaster, grill, and smoker. You can get an optional grill and double your cooking space. Hands down its the best for your money

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...dow-creek-pr36

Check out this site to get you started

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/index.html
hbc01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
namodio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post

That's two racks of back ribs on one grate on my 18.5 WSM. It comes form the factory with two grates and a third is easily added to fit a total of 6 racks of back ribs. I think you can easily feed 10 on that.

Spare ribs take a little more space but I can fit six trimmed racks of those on as well. (I wind up firing my mini-WSM to handle the trimmings when I do six racks of spare ribs.)
You could probably fit 4-5 racks on each grate using a rib rack that holds them on their sides.
namodio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
greazyg
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namodio View Post
You could probably fit 4-5 racks on each grate using a rib rack that holds them on their sides.
This. I usually cook 4 racks of ribs at a time on my 18.5 using a rib rack on the top grate. No reason you couldn't do 4 more on the bottom grate.
greazyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah i've gotten 6 racks on my 18.5 using rib racks. I even foiled them after 2 hours and back in the racks. Wasn't fun but doable. Ribs came out great. Everyone at the hunting camp loved them. Would be really easy on a 22.5.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default One mans trash is another mans treasure...

I was kind of looking for another smoker. (Offset) last Winter.
I found a heavy metal one in a barn at an Estate Sale.
It wasn't priced, so I went around front and asked the lady taking money how much for the smoker.
She said she thought her Nephew might want it...
I asked how much he wanted it? She priced it at $250.00 and I gave her $225.00 before anyone said anything.
I drove around to the barn with my truck... got my wife, and got out of there like someone was chasing me. I had to clean it up and make a deflector plate, but I found mine cheap.

NOW I NEVER GO TO ESTATE SALES WITHOUT CHECKING OUTBUILDINGS...

I found a 1995 Blue WSM at a sale on Lake Martin... $40.00, looks new.
It's under my patio shed, with my UDS, and a small heavy duty smoker.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
How many slabs of ribs could I get on that wsm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by namodio View Post
I don't have a WSM, but the grates are the same size as a UDS or 22.5" kettle. If you have to, you can use rib racks and get a LOT on each grate. I could have squeezed more on, but in the photo below, there's 6 racks on each of 2, making a total of 12 racks of BB's on my UDS. This same thing could happen on a 22.5" WSM I'd think.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbc01 View Post
I wanted the same and have been doing research for long time. I have decided on the Meadow Creek PR36. Its a little more than your budget is set for,
That one definitely looked nice! I considered it, but the cover and shipping would have put me too far over. I almost caved when I saw $725. Let me know how it is when it comes!